Gimmick or Great?!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by persins, Nov 2, 2005.

?

Kelly Mouthpieces - Great or Gimmick?

1. Great

25 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Gimmick

24 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Absolutely no Idea / Interest!!!

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  1. persins

persins Member

Now that the Winter months are approaching in earnest, we appear to be getting ever closer to the inevitable annual torture of frost bitten lips and freezing instruments. With that in mind, I have been thinking of investing in one of the Kelly plastic mouthpieces.

I'm sure that a number of tMP'ers have already tried these and was just wondering what the general consensus was for these? Are they actually any good or just a bit of a gimmick?

I would have thought that they are excellent for the Remembrance Marches and carol playing etc but would like to know what you guys think!

L8rs

Simon

2. rutty

rutty Active Member

They don't do them in the size I want, so I'm automatically against them ;)

3. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Have heard from friends that it is good for outdoor playing, obviously no replacement for indoors playing, but good for cold weather, worth the money spent.

4. persins

persins Member

What size is it that you are looking for?

I must admit that I would ideally like a DW2 Cornet one but have only seen 4b's so far?!

Do other cornet sizes exist?

5. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I wonder what the tenor horn players will think when, if ...... (xmas prezzies? :) )

7. rutty

rutty Active Member

I'd like a 4 but they don't make one: http://www.kellymouthpieces.com/specs.asp

3c might be too shallow, though I like the width. Maybe I should try one of those

8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I'm not really a cornet player anymore, but as my DW4 was about shot I decided to buy one last year, just for Christmas playing. It came too late to properly assess it - the only carolling job I did with it was the annual Boxing Day booze fest which is hardly an ideal proving ground for a new mouthpiece (too much sherry and brandy - athough it did seem to hold up well to the resultant fumes).

Anyway its the 4B which is not a like for like replacement, but the main reason I bought it was that as I hardly ever play cornet anymore eight quid verses 20-odd for a DW was a bit of a no brainer. I have played on it a few times since last year and I find for the money is suprisingly good. I have a more "direct" tone, but then this is posibly more due to the difference in the piece size than the material. High notes and stamina are both comparable (both rubbish in my case :tongue: ) and really for the money it's quite well finished. It feels a bit weird at first, but you get used to it.

They're so cheap I figure you may as well give one a shot - its only costing you the price of a couple of pints (OK then a couple of small rounds) so if you hate it you can either right off the dosh or sell it on eBay.

9. Neil Glynn

Neil Glynn Member

I bought one of these quite a while ago to use on outdoor jobs when playing my euph and I was really impressed. At first articulation may suffer slightly, but you get used to it after a while. I also found that I had a much bigger range on the Kelly mouthpiece than on my DW4AL. I've actually used it in rehearsals and in a couple of concerts as well and find that my tone doesn't really seem to suffer. Having said all of this I still prefer playing on my 'real' mouthpiece.

10. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I'm getting one at the contest i'm going too on saturday :D i'm only getting it cos its purple! I wish the pink ones were nicer really :(

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Winter
    Kelly
    tMP'ers
    Remembrance Marches
    L8rs Simon
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Wouldn't be great if Kelly produced a model that changes colour with temperature change? :rolleyes:

13. meandmycornet

ooooh oooooh glow in the dark? or one that has flashy lights when you put pressure on it, like them kiddies trainers!!

14. Steve

Steve Active Member

For outdoors playing they are excellent as previously said. I disagree with the comment about them not being up to the job indoors though as I used one for over a year and once I got round the initial articulation problems I found it more comfortable than a metal one and just as useable.

I have switched back now as the purple clashes with my instrument but aart from that I loved it.

15. Neil Glynn

Neil Glynn Member

They already do a glow in the dark one

16. meandmycornet

:eek: do they?? ooooh might get one of them then!

Having said that, when am I ever going to play in the dark? :confused: I wouldn't be able too see the music :tongue:

17. persins

persins Member

I did wonder, but wasn't going to mention it!!!

I think that I might get one just for the fun of it! Now comes the real question...

What colour do I get? I'm not sure that I am a "pink" person!

18. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Im gonna pester the kelly mouthpiece people... Ive got it on my birthday list cause christmas will be too late. Theyre ace :D Actually this guy at band said they werent very good cause they take ages to warm up and they dont sound very good. But who cares theyre pretty :D :tongue:

19. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I prefer the Kelly mouthpiece in all conditions. I managed to find one at Butlins which match the band's uniform perfectly! :)

Whenever I've gone back to the metal one for various reasons, it really hurts my teeth, despite the fact that it is the same size. I've not done any cold outdoor concerts since getting it, so will be able to give a proper opinion after Christmas :)

20. Key2207

Key2207 Member

I had a Kelly Mouthpiece and it was great...

...until it snapped:eek: inside my cornet:cry:

21. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Wow, you must've been going for a heck of a high note there.....;)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Winter
    Kelly
    tMP'ers
    Remembrance Marches
    L8rs Simon