Gilbert Vinters Best Ending To a Test Piece

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Jul 13, 2007.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

As Gilbert Vinter wrote some really good music and some just brilliant test pieces to play.
    Out of all the test pieces is in your opinion :
    Which one as the best ending:
    Mine as to be:James Cook Circumnavigator

2. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Triumphant Rhapsody - Class

3. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

best ending - Salute to Youth

I must agree with Ian.There are some cracking pieces amongst his output.

Spectrum

John O'Gaunt

Variations on a Ninth

Great stuff !

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Triumphant Rhapsody - the triplet ending always impresses me!

5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

+1

6. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

Bit of bad news for ya mate, Vinter died halfway through writing James Cook, it was reputedly finished by someone still very prominent in bands today.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:eek: ... according to the Fairey Band sleevenotes, it was completed 4 months before he died!

8. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

+2 :D - criminally underplayed piece. Not keen on James Cook, I'm afraid. I also thought it was completed by Dr Newsome, Vinter having finished the music but not the scoring when he died.

9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

For me, simply has to be the superb piece Spectrum. I just love that piece I really do... so descriptive and powerful... right through to the end.

I have had the pleasure of conducting and rehearsing a band with the piece (Newport Band when they were in 2nd section15 years ago) - and fair play, they were doing a great job at it, and even nearly decided to play in at Weston Super Mare. However, I haven't had the pleasure of conducting this piece in a concert or contest, but one of my honest ambitions in banding, is that I would absolutely love to do so. Any band considering playing this in a contest and who are short of a conductor...?? ;)

10. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Triumphant Rhapsody for me as well, although I do like his Symphony of Marches as well

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    brilliant test pieces
    COLOR
    James Cook Circumnavigator
    Gilbert Vinters Best
    good music
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Variations on a Ninth is probably my favorite Vinter ending - along with being my favorite Vinter piece. The last page (from the little cornet solo after the bell effect) is genius.

But yeah Trumphant Rhapsody comes a close second.

13. keithtc

keithtc New Member

spectrum

my favourite ending is spectrum but it is hard picking one from all of vinters test pieces