Gig bags

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by The Accidentalist, Apr 6, 2009.

1. The Accidentalist

The Accidentalist New Member

Hi All

I was thinking of getting a gig bag - I've been looking at the Tom and Will or GIG ones in particular - was wondering if anyone owns one of these and in particular are they any good for carrying mutes and music? Also wondered how much protection they actually give the instrument. Any advice gratefully received!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Will
    Tom
    carrying mutes
    Gig bags
    protection
  3. monody

monody Member

I have a GIG advanced moulded for cornet for sale. Unused but it's been around the house for a while.

PM me if you're interested.

4. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

I got a crackin' gig bag for my cornet thru Glyn Williams. :D It's smaller than a normal cornet case and has 2 compartments. It comfortably and snugly holds my cornet as well 5 mutes, and has 2 zipped areas where you can keep music/valve oil/odds 'n'sods etc. It comes apart so that you can wash the padded liner in the old washing machine too (washes well!). It's nice and light yet sturdy and I love it. Not sure of the make but Glyn'll be only too happy to help you in your search I'm sure! :clap:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  5. The Accidentalist

The Accidentalist New Member

Thanks Jockinafrock - that sounds ideal. I'll give Glyn a try and see if I get any joy. I don't fancy a moulded one (sorry) as I've heard they're a bit too bulky and not easy to fit stuff into. That's the trouble with playing a cornet these days - too many flippin mutes! ;)

6. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Gig bags are evil....you will always get dents if you dally with these tools of the Devil....

7. Cochyn

Cochyn Member

Well that depends which you go for. I have an old Caradice one which is pants, hence the post about "instrument repair". But there's a few I've seen that are as sturdy as a conventional intrument case, but half the weight ;)

8. 3rdcornetsolo

3rdcornetsolo Member

I have a reunion blues triple trumpet and have to say it is a fantastic alternative to a hard cornet case.

There is room for EVERYTHING you need in there (at the moment mine is carrying: tin dw/h&b/peter gane straight mutes, tin dw/peter gane cup mutes, harmon mute, plunger mute, Yamaha silent brass and accessories, a selection of ties and bow ties, cleaning brushes, valve oil, selection of mouth pieces... oh and my cornet!) There are also external pockets for music, hundreds of pencils etc etc.

And it isnt much bigger than my old case!

The bags themselves are not cheap but if you shop around you can find decent deals on them (mine came from Thomann in Germany) and they are def the best of the bags I have looked at/tried.

9. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I bent the lead pipe on my old, old cornet in a cheap and nasty gig bag. However, i also managed to put a crease in the bell of my Xeno using a non moulded GIG bag ..... so back to the hard case for me.

10. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Mine's has evaded contamination and damnation from the horned one, and I get more dents when sitting on school chairs and absentmindedly bringing my cornet down onto metal edges...! Grrr!:oops:

11. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

My son Morgan has come up with the perfect solution....he puts his sop inside its hard case inside his gig bag.....

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Will
    Tom
    carrying mutes
    Gig bags
    protection
  13. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

As a flugeler I sing the praises of my Gig gigbag! Ok so you have to be a wee bit more careful but this is more beneficial than lugging a flugel case which is always massive yet has diddly in the way of storage. I ordered a custom Gig gigbag direct from the factory and including shippping cost less than buying one here and came in a much wider choice of colours (although the pound was much stronger against the dollar then and it took a while to arrive).

I use the Advanced cornet/trumpet model (for fellow flugelers, they advocate the tenor horn size but in reality its too big, so just as well cos I can use it for my horn).
    it has two pockets. the front one I use for all my mouthpieces, oils brushes etc, and the bigger back one fits my folder, mute, spare shoes (hey I'm a girl!!), and if packed well a change of clothes if I get fed up wearing my uniform at a contest! Bargain!!! :D

14. dizzystinker

dizzystinker Member

Have you got the contact details?

15. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

16. dizzystinker

dizzystinker Member

And a flugel fits in the cornet one then????

17. Martin

Martin Member

Does anyone have any experience of the Walstein tenor horn case and whether, in particular, it will fit the York Preference?

Martin

18. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Yeah! They say to use the Tenor Horn one but in reality its massive. The cornet one is actually trumpet/cornet and flugels aren't much wider than cornets and similar in length to trumpets so they fit! Bargain!!:D

I tried one as a moulded alternative to my flugel case for travelling but my flugel didn't fit!! I'd recommend phoning and asking first so you don't have the hassle of sending it back. I'd think probably not though.

19. Jack

Jack Member

has anyone tried any double or triple trumpet gig bags that dont cost about 3 million quid?

20. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Maybe stating the obvious but it was a flugel case I tried! But seems there's even more variation in shape of tenor horns so chances are I'd doubt it would fit?

21. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I have a Brass Bags one. It's really good, think it was about £150 though at the time. Just think that you're protecting instruments that are collectively worth a heck of a lot more than that, it's not just a gym bag you're looking for ;-).