Gig Bags

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornet_babe, Aug 24, 2008.

1. cornet_babe

cornet_babe Member

Hi all,

I've been contemplating a new gig bag for a while now, and now that I have passed all of my GCSE's, my parents have said that I can have one. My question is, does anybody know of a good make of gig bag that is made like a ruck sack (and preferably looks like one too) whilst also protects the instrument well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

P.S I play the cornet :D

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    P.S
    new gig bag
    good make of gig bag
    cornet
    Gig Bags
  3. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

check out the range of bags at tomandwill.com. They're great. And reasonably priced too.

4. cornet_babe

cornet_babe Member

Thanks for that "I'm on top, Help me!!!" I have seen them and have been iffing and ahhing for a while now. Do you own one? and if so how good are they? I can't find a review anywhere!

5. sop 1

sop 1 Member

if u value ur cornet dont buy a gig bag! buy a hard case! iv bought a sebastian buckley "Aquea sulis" for my Schilke sop and its great,loads of room for all my mutes.have a look at them at www.woodwindandbrass.co.uk

6. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Forgot to say that they are in the style of the prestige cases! :D

7. cornet_babe

cornet_babe Member

I understand where you are coming from, and I have a hard case (a Besson Prestige case) but my problem is that it is very heavy, and I'm going to need to transport my cornet around a lot, as I'm starting college soon. I always use my hard case when going on band trips to contests, as not to risk my cornet, however it's just not practical when trying to get around a busy college and on a bus. Thankyou for your advice though, I appreciate it.

P.S. Is the sop hard case that you have fairly lightweight?

8. sop 1

sop 1 Member

yea its not as heavy as the prestige cases, i also think "GIG" gigbags do a range of bags with a hard moulded section for the cornet. i used to use a gigbag when i used the bands sop and found it had been dented whilst in there! when i bought my new schilke i stopped using it and bought the hard case!

9. hornplaya89

hornplaya89 Member

hiya
    i have a tom and will tenor horn case which i bought a few days ago. I spent yesterday scrambling up and down the hills of Derbyshire with it, and it survived! very comfortable and looks more like a rucksack than a gig bag. lots of space - i managed to fit two water bottles,a flask of tea, some sarnies, two coats, my horn and my music in there. however, although it is lightweight, it is a little bulkier than you'd expect for a tenor horn bag.
    Rach

10. cornet_babe

cornet_babe Member

Thankyou for that hornplaya89. It sounds a really good bag, and it sounds like it will fit all the junk in that I need for band and college!!

11. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

I've got the triple tomandwill case, it's great. I love it. It's got a space in the middle perfect for a flugal and either side plenty of space for a cornet and trumpet, or a cornet and mutes. The insides are well padded and the walls are hard unlike some gig bags.

I agree in a way with sop 1 in a sense. If you're not careful with your gig bag the instruments inside might get damaged so be careful if you get one, but if you are careful it is so much easier to put it on your back than carry it.

good luck finding one.

Iot,hm!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    P.S
    new gig bag
    good make of gig bag
    cornet
    Gig Bags
  13. 1alexm

1alexm Member

Hi cornet_babe, I can't recommend a gig bag for you, but I think that you shouldn't get a hard gig bag because sometimes they are so hard that you can't get anything in the pockets, and the soft gig bags can be a bit funny in terms of protection, and its kinda hard to find a gig bag thats in between, what i do recommend is that you get a soft gig bag, and put bubble wrap in it and you should have the ultimate cornet gig bag for the ultimate cornet babe ;)

14. <nickw>

<nickw> Member

I think that you should get a more padded style bag, one of those which goes over the shoulder, as I remember on one tour, someones baritone got crumpled on the plane, as it was in a GIG bag....
    Don't ask me where you get them from, although I do remember seeing some on the trade stands at the Yorkshire areas...

15. cornet_babe

cornet_babe Member

Thankyou for all your advice. I have just recieved a Tom and Will cornet case, and I must say it exceeds my expectations - it protects my cornet well, and is also very comfortable. I'm very glad I chose the Tom and Will case, however I will still use my hard case when travelling long distances with my cornet :D Thankyou again :)

16. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

Congrats on your new case.
    I'm an army musician and spend lots of time travelling. I never put my gig bag under the bus just in case it gets thrown about and damaged.
    And if i do go abroad my instruments go in their hard cases whilst in transit.

It knowing when you can use your gig bag and when you can't

17. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

This has been an interesting thread to follow, thanks. I'm contemplating buying a new cornet which doesn't come with a hard case so I've been looking at gig bags. When I asked my insurer about soft bags I was told the instrument is only covered when being carried, ie: its not covered if in a car boot, a coach boot or as hold luggage on a plane. It's ok in the car but not in the boot. I use a very well-known and respected UK insurer, so people; check your policies ;)

So, I'm currently looking at the semi-rigid Protec cases from the US, but on another forum I've read that shepherds-crook cornets don't fit the vertical slots well, being taller than American cornets.

Any Protec users out there wish to comment? I'm looking at the PB301VAX, planning to use the trumpet slot for mutes, cornet-stand, that sort of thing.

http://www.protecmusic.com/items.as...trumentGroupID=1&CategoryID=2&subCategoryID=7

Andy

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  18. Liamhorn

Liamhorn Member

I have a "gig" bag for my tenor horn its nice and big can fit plenty of things in there still have Christmas cards from the past 2 years in there. It's never been damaged from being in the gig bag touch wood it wont ;)

19. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I bought a Protec triple case a few years ago but I went for backpack straps rather than wheels. It's a great case and I've not had any problems fitting a Bb Cornet in it. A friend of mine has the Trumpet/Flugel case with wheels and it seems pretty good.

20. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Bryan, thanks for the info - the Trumpet/Flugel case with wheels sounds like it is the one I'm considering getting so it's good to hear that it works out OK.

Regards
    Andy

21. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I'm also thinking about getting this. I think it looks pretty good. My concern would be the one voiced a couple of posts up, about cornet not fitting in the case, also my flugel is a Courtois which has quite a large bell (doesn't fit in my existing BrassBags gig bag) so I need to check out the size of the bell on the flugel they mention in the video on the Protec site. Did those of you who purchased this find it locally or did you buy online? Being in Ireland (land of not many brass suppliers) I'll probably have to order from UK or US if I go for this. I tried adding one to the cart on the Protec site to find out delivery costs overseas but it asked which US State I was in, so they probably don't deliver abroad.

22. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

I think I did a review of the GiG bags on here many moons ago, cba finding now, but I've had mine for for 6 years now and although pretty rugged round the edges now it's had almost daily use in that time. Carrying my horn, various mutes, differing amounts of music, assorted amounts of alcohol and the odd music stand or two in with it aswell as all the usual bits and bats (cloth, metronome, oils etc).
    Safe to say I'm due a new one soon and will definately go for one of the same.
    Think they were available through a company called Octave Above. www.gig-bags.com
    Only ever had 1 problem with instrument damage and that was within a week of getting the case, when I was chucking my horn around like it was a hard case and got a little crumple on the bell. No problems since then, its been on all sorts of planes and coaches without a hitch.
    No offence but if you put soft cases in with the other bags on planes you are either a tad dim or just scamming the insurance.