Gig bags v molded cases? any thought.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MAW, May 24, 2004.

1. MAW

MAW Member

:D Help.
    I am looking for a gig bag or tradional style molded case for my Yamaha trumpet. The case I bought it with is not the original and is older than the trumpet. It's the old brown one with brown fur fabric lining. It's getting tatty and it's time it was replaced. Unfortunatley I can't afford a Yamaha case having just splashed out and bought a brand new case for my Boosey and Hawks Sovereign Cornet. I have seen both gig bags and cases on ebay at around the same price £20. + p & p.
    Any views on either option.
    :?

Marjorie

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    brown one
    Help
    :D
    Yamaha
    gig bag
  3. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I dunno about the price, but the gig bags that hold 2 trumpets/cornets/flugel/mixed combo are very popular over here. Have you seent hem around???

4. claudine

claudine New Member

I have used a double gigbag (cornet & flugelhorn) made by Reunion Blues for about 12 years now. Although it was quite expensive then, it offers good protection (unless you try to sit on it) and it is very comfortable to use: lightweight, shoulder strap, enough space for mutes and sheet music.

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Gig Bags V hard cases...

Both have advantages and disadvantages...

Gig bags are great cos they are light in weight and look cool.
    Disadvantage: Transport them under a coach and the instrument may get squashed anyway...

Hard cases:
    Look relatively smart depending on the manufacturer.
    Very safe and strong so instrument doesn't get squashed.

Disadvantage: Heavy

I personally have both...
    I got a good but really cheap gig bag for my cornet which I use for between the bandroom etc ...

Saxophone I have a good gig bag I found on ebay which I must have saved about £50 on... I use it a lot more than the hard case, which only gets used when there's long car journeys with extra things in the boot.

I've seen both hard cases and padded cases for £100 plus... but I reckon ebay is a good option to save on money so you can have both...

:)

6. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

a friend of mine swears by his tuba gig bag, but whenever he goes on big trips, he puts the tuba in the hard case AND takes his gig bag.....

wait for it......

he packs his luggage into the gig bag, and when he gets to his destination, puts clothers in cupbards and drawers, and uses the giug bag for day-to-day transport!

OInly works for tubas probably....

7. Alice

Alice Member

I got a double trumpet Reunion Blues gig bag for my birthday and i love it! You can fit everything in it, including all my make up! :) Yeah i prefere it to my cornet case.

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I bet it would work from cornet gig bag too if you travelled light enough ;-) What a class idea!!!! Just think how much I could pack in my drum cases!!!! :lol:

9. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

I had a gig bag for my trombone, but last week one of my highly intelligent family members put a box down on it, and now there's a huge dent in the bell. I have reverted to my hard case.

10. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

When (fingers crossed) I get a gig bag I'll just use it for transportation, you should always store an instrument in a hard case - people tend to assume that instruments are invunerable once you put them back in their cages - esp people who don't play.

11. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I love my gig bag for day to day use, but to be on the safe side should really use the hard case when all the gear is getting loaded on a coach.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    brown one
    Help
    :D
    Yamaha
    gig bag
  13. NeilW

NeilW Member

I use a Hiscox case largely because it fits in the boot of my car which the B&H ones don't.

Quite light, not much room for anything else besides the Euph...

Also considerably cheaper than B&H particularly as mine was a "second" (small mark on the outside)...

Neil.

14. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I did that after my trombone was miraculously reshaped after the area (I have no recollection... but i suspect a tuba...) but then realised how heavy and cumbersome my hard case is so I'm just going to use it for coach journeys in future.

15. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Were they a Dronfield player by any chance? :D

I will never get a gig bag. I don't think it would be at all wise, I manage to dent my instrument enough anyway.

16. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

I rather suspect that they were... An ex one at least, knowing my Mam.

You just stick to juggling on marches eh Daniel. Much more exciting that way!