Gig bags - GIG-bag

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rambo Chick, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

My mum is looking to get a gig bag and the company GIG-bag ( the ones which are designed to look like school bags and less like instrument cases!)is one she is interested in. She just wants to know if they are any good and has anyone had any problems with them i.e dented instruments or damage to the bell?

Or are they excellent? what experiences do fellow tMPers have to offer?

thank you:biggrin:
  2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

What instrument does she play? It is important to get the right size case for the instrument.
    I know some trombone players who have bought a small bag for a large trombone and ended up with creases all over the bell (And in one case the bell flare folded completely back)

Other than that they are ok, When I got my new trombone, I would have got the gig bag but my budget enabled me to get a protec case which is a bit more sturdy
  3. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

I carry my Xeno cornet in one with no worries at all. My friend carries his trombone in one too, and again, no problems.
  4. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

She plays cornet. What are these protec ones?
  5. Frosty

Frosty Member

Gig bags

I have used this make of gig bag for at least five years. My trombone has never had any damage to the slide or bell section whilst in the bag.
    One thing you must remember is that it is a bag. If you throw your instrument around it will be damaged.
    Instruments will also be damaged in a hard case if they are thrown around as well. Airport bag handlers are useless!

If you take care then I'm sure the instrument will be fine.

6. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Oh I can sympathise there - my flugel was in its hard case and managed to lose its water key and get dented by the delightful airline baggage handlers on a trip to New Zealand!:hammer
  7. Hells Bones

I know a baritone player who play with the Gothenburg band at the European Champs this time round.
    the tuning slides at the front came back bent.
    Her Dad who was conducting the band for the contest was not impressed.
  8. sop 1

sop 1 Member

ive got one and keep my brand new schilke sop in it!
    they are really good :)
  9. RonBarnes

RonBarnes Member

I use Gig bags for my tenor and bass trombones and wouldn't like to be without them. They are so easy to carry and have excellent padded protection, even to the trombone slides which fit down the centre of the bags, well away from damage.
    Having said that, I do put my trombones in their hard cases for transport by coach or anywhere else where I think the risk of damage is too great for a soft case.
    Used sensibly, Gig bags are great.
  10. HBB

HBB Active Member

If you're going to name drop you might as well do it properly!
  11. zak

zak Member

Well said that man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :clap: lmao
  12. Hells Bones

Ok, the Baritone player was Rebecca Childs and her dad is Nick Childs.
  13. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

I've had mine for about 4 years. Love it. No problems with it at all.
  14. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I've got a protec trumpet case which is brilliant - it's a hard case but quite light and with backpack straps. Be careful with gig bags - your instrument may not be insured if it is damaged in it. Most insurers have a clause about carrying your bag in a "suitable case" and they may say a gig bag is not suitable. The website for protec is:
  15. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

I carry my cornet in a GIG bag - the instrument is covered under my household policy (with the company I work for). The exclusion around cases is 'any accidental damage (is excluded) while the instrument is being transported or carried unless it is in a case which is specifically designed to transport or carry the instrument' which would mean the GIG bag is fine as it is specifically designed for this purpose.

TBH - I think insurers would have trouble avoiding paying a claim for damage whilst in a gig bag even with the wording Daisy Duck mentions - unless of course it was thrown around etc......:eek:

Worth checking though :rolleyes:
  16. HBB

HBB Active Member

Much. Thanks.
  17. Hells Bones

Did you know who I meant when I first said it?
  18. zak

zak Member

Ofcourse, probably most knew lolol :biggrin:
  19. HBB

HBB Active Member

It was rather obvious, and I think you knew it!
  20. Hells Bones

Not really, Becky Childs is in my band so I hear about anything the family is doing.
    I'm not claiming to be a close, personal friend of theirs but I do know them.

I'm fairly new to banding and don't get the Bandsman or BBW or any magazines. I only knew Nick was conducting Gothenberg because Becky told me.
    Had she not said anything I would have been none the wiser
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2007