Gift Aid on Band Subscriptions

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andy Richards, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Andy Richards

Andy Richards New Member

Does any band treasurer sucessfully claim gift aid on members subscriptions. My claim has been rejected on the grounds that members recieve a benefit from paying subs i.e. the loan of an instrument, a uniform and tuition/coaching. I would like to chat with any one who has a successful claim.

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I know that in the Salvation Army contributions to band and songsters can be included on the Gift Aid form together with other regular or one-off giving.

3. stevo700

stevo700 New Member

4. Robsodav

Robsodav New Member

Our band is now a charity and we have applied to HMRC to receive gift aid refunds. The rules on gift aid on membership subscriptions have recently changed and I was hoping someone has just been through the discussion in their band and decided what proportion is tuition and therefore not eligible for gift aid. I would be interested in the conclusions and reasoning.

5. trombone-john

trombone-john Member

Surely the clue is in the name...GIFT Aid.
    Are your band subscriptions a voluntary contribution? Or is paying subs a condition of membership?
    If it's the latter, then you cannot claim gift aid, as it cannot be considered a voluntary charitable contribution.