Getzen/ Getzen Trombones

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Despot

Despot Member

Hi All,

Anyone know anything about Getzen?

Been offered a "deal" on a Getzen 1047F trombone. I think that's an Eterna, however, I'm not sure what that signifies. Is that the pro range?

Any thoughts on that 'bone or Getzen generally appreciated! :)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Getzen Trombones Hi All
    Getzen 1047F
    Eterna
    Getzen Trombones Hi
    pro range
  3. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

good bones so I heard. Eterna are the standard pro range, but the custom series are top of the range from the manufacturer.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

5. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

I had a Getzen cornet but didnt like it, it was only a student model, although I know that my friend loves the exact same Cornet that I hated. Maybe you could try playing the instrument?

6. i use a getzen trom, have done 4 about 4 yrs now, aint let me down yet, got mine 1st hand 4 about 2k, try it, triggers on them look good neway, if nothin else, lol

7. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I played on a Getzen trumpet for a few years off and on (didn't play trumpet regularly) and the valves were wonderful. I don't know what model it was - wasn't my instrument but it sat in the case for months at a time and was in full working order every time I took it out. The sound was pretty good too, easy blowing and clear. I know it's not totally relevant, given that you asked about a trombone, but it might help!

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I suppose it's got something to do with buying an instrument outside the main brands that are dominant in banding. Getzen had a good sales run years ago with their Eterna and Capri ranges and not many complained about their quality. If possible, try a few different brands to see how the one you have been offered compares to the rest and decide on that. If you are going to use the same mouthpiece, ... this can be a major influence on your final choice.

9. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

I'm playing a Getzen Eterna bass trom and loving it. Had it about 9 months now so it's just about blown in. The sound is good, triggers are excellent and it's a very easy instrument to blow.

The only suggestion I'd make is to check your "deal" against those available at www.wwbw.com . With the dollar tumbling at the moment, even when you add on transatlantic shipping and VAT som of their prices are fantastic.

10. Despot

Despot Member

You got it in one! :)

I'm actually heading for Boston on Monday, and a mirror site will deliver to my hotel. Thought it might be a great opportunity to get a trombone!

11. Despot

Despot Member

All thoughts welcome! Its not the most usual brass bandy brand, and I've never seen any Getzen, let alone the trombone.

Some great feedback folks, really appreciate it! :)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Getzen Trombones Hi All
    Getzen 1047F
    Eterna
    Getzen Trombones Hi
    pro range
  13. lewis

lewis Member

The thing is with getzens is that they are by far the most mass-produced brass instruments on the market and the feeling is they do run very hot and cold! There are some amazing instruments out there but also some duff ones too. Definitely blow it for a week or more if you can because first impressions on a getzen is not always the way it'll stay.

14. i dont use a getzen mouthpiece, i use a denis wick 5AL, good range and good sound, i found that the 6 was super range but not enuff sound and the 4 was super sound but not enuff range(altho 4 is good 4 low notes and 6 is good 4 high notes, as most of u probably know neway), i think its a getzen custom that i use, and as i sed b4, its linked with the edwards company is getzen so thats another option 4 u, keep lettin every1 know on here how u do with it

15. Trumpetette

Trumpetette New Member

Getzen Eternas Rock

My second Trumpet was a Severensen model Eterna by Getzen. It was the best trumpet I ever had and I kick myself daily that I ever sold it. I've done research on other mass produced trumpets (and I know you are looking at a trombone, but I think this will apply :) ) and found that the Eterna line from Getzen is probably the most even quality instrument you will find for the money. Other companies like Bach (despite thier reputation) have huge fluctuations in tone and pitch qualtity from instrument to instrument.

Hope this helps. ;)

16. Steve

Steve Active Member

Getzen bones are class, I have loved the few I have played and that was within just an hour or so on each occasion. Personal preference after all though and giving it a go can do no harm.

17. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

You see Edwards trombones in brass bands, and they are a "wing" of Getzen. The "custom" Getzen is sort of a basic, non-customisable Edwards.

Daniel

18. Despot

Despot Member

Actually after all that, by the time I got there, they sold out of Getzens! :(

But I got a good price on a Conn 88HO! :)

However, heading over again in March, and those Getzen Bass Trombones look very nice!

19. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I use an Edwards and have also tried the Getzen Custom model and i found them to be completely different beasts. The Getzen was "awful" it was dead and really hard work to play the slide was sluggish and the quality of the laquer was poor. Where as the Edwards was easy blowing and the slide was silky smooth.

I appreciate that the Edwards is a custom build but the one i purchased was 2nd hand and not built for myself but even then it was a 1000% better.