Getting music published and copyrighted.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Sharpy, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Ive recently been arranging some music for wind band and orchestra and was wondering about how to get my arrangements copyrighted and then published. I havent got a clue where to start so any feedback would be really appreciated!!!

Also if anyone wants any arrangement doing, drop me a line!!!(Shameless plug!)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Ive
    line
    clue
    Getting music
    wind band
  3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Have a read of the tMP Copyright Fact Sheet.

Plenty of useful information there for starters.

;)

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

The tMP Copyright Factsheet is a good place to start.

If you have arranged stuff that is already out of copyright then you already own the copyright, and you don't need to register it with anyone. It's advisable to post a copy to yourself though, asking the postoffice to stamp the date of posting across the seal, and don't open it when it is delivered.

If the stuff you have arranged is still in copyright (and of course you should have asked for permission before you arranged it! ;)) then you need to get permission for the copyright holder to publish it. Some publishers will do this for you (I do for example, although I expect you to have obtained permission to have arranged it in the first place); others will expect you to have organised permission to publish before you submit it to the publisher for consideration of publication.

HTH!

5. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Cheers Roger!!

Say hi to Alan Metcalfe for me!

:D

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Here's a thread that covers most of the ground securing copyright permission.

7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

A note for those in the US - while it is not necessary to register in order to own the copyright under the Copyright Act, for many works there is a mandatory deposit requirement - two copies of the "best edition" of the work must be deposited at the Library of Congress. Also, in the US, you cannot bring an infringement lawsuit unless you have registered the work. US authors/composers/publishers should be advised to begin by visiting the US Copyright Office web site at www.copyright.gov.

Another resource worth checking out for the US is the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) site at www.ascap.org.