Getting copyright permission

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by choirmaster, Sep 22, 2004.

1. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

I am composing a piece for band and wish to quote the hymn tune 'Luckington' as part of the structure. However, I originally emailed MCPS at least 6 months ago and followed that up again in the summer but still haven't found out from them who the copyright holder is and a contact address. The composer of the tune is Basil Harwood who died in the 1940's.
    Does anyone know of a way I can find out the info a bit quicker. I read the tMP copyright literature, but didn't seem to notice anything about that there.

Thanks.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    copyright permission
    part
    copyright literature
    tune
    bit
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Yep... try contacting Dave Payne here on tMP. He will be able to advise accordingly...

4. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Dear Choirmaster,

My hymn book gives the composer as the copyright holder - so, not much help.

To find out the UK copyright holder, the best thing is to phone Member Services at PRS (not MCPS) on 020 7580 5544 who should be able to give you this information

Good luck!

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Risking the wrath of those for whom I work, ring me, (020 7306 4214) or get in touch with me via tMP... please. I would explain why but I'd get into trouble.....

The copyright owner of Luckington is the Basil Harwood estate. Unfortunately, the PRS/MCPS are not allowed to give out addresses of individuals (in this case, the successor to the Basil Harwood estate). Nevertheless, I will take on this query on your behalf, and enquire about the permission, if you so wish.

All the best

6. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

TI'm grateful for your help with this. Matters are now in hand thanks to you.