Getting back to playing after an impact injury

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by englishgill, Nov 1, 2010.

1. englishgill

englishgill Member

Hi All,

I was happily playing hockey on saturday when I thought it would be a great idea to pressure the defender who responded by lifting her stick into my face. While I was incredibly luck not to lose any teeth (thanks to my gumshield) or split my lip I am left with a swollen and bruised upper lip as well as a sore nose and teeth. Does anyone know a good way to disperse the blood collection and make playing the horn by next weekend a viable option ....... any ideas gratefully received!!!

Gill

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    idea
    thanks
    stick
    lip
    hockey
  3. Di B

Di B Member

Arnicare cream is natural and helps reduce swelling.

A lot of people use it when they have played too much, but it is actually for bruising and might be worth a try :)

4. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Ice pack and rest!

5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Arnica, ice and rest.... if your playing next weekend is a bonfire march then my best advice would be don't do it!!

I got smacked in the face the night before Harrogate - managed to get ice and arnica on it quick enough to avoid any visible bruising, but I didn't get to not-play for a month because of contests and my chops really haven't been the same since. Tbh it sounds like your bruising is a lot worse, and if was in your position (and had a choice!) I'd have a couple of weeks off.

6. englishgill

englishgill Member

Hmm, first thought as I crashed to the floor with the impact was ... oh God I won't be able to play my horn for a while! (I'm sad like that!) I'm hoping that by consuming and applying copious amounts of arnica I'll be back to playing sooner rather than later - especially with a Boobs & Barass concert coming up soon but the slightest pressure in the mouth region is pretty painful right now!

7. plenty of red wine might do the trick - but don't expect too much sympathy from the rest of your section! Totally self inflicted & you are old enough to know better ;):)

8. englishgill

englishgill Member

the lengths to which some people will go to avoid playing the top part in Trio Con Brio eh ..... thanks for the sympathy Marion.

9. JRH

JRH Member

The one thing I know for sure doesn't work is trying to rush your way back into it. Give it time to recover. The sooner you force it, the longer it will take.