Getting back into banding

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by kiwiinoz, Jun 21, 2010.

1. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

Hi everyone. I am a new member and this is my first post. I am thinking of getting back into banding after a break of 8 years. The band I am thinking of joining is a C grade band here in Queensland Australia and will be a good first step. I want some advice. i have previously played Bflat and Eflat cornets and prefer the Eflat but wonder if it will be too much to jump straight back onto it. I am real keen and will give it a good bash but want some advice as to practice ideas and tecniques for Sop. i wonder if i go straight there it will be better for the lip to go straight back into it or would it not. Any advice very very welcome.

2. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

I refer you to my reply on mouthpiece question......good luck and enjoy your playing!

3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I would say that, if you're a touch rusty, play the Bb cornet for a while. There's only one sop in a band and any band you join would surely want somebody who is 'on form'.

Anyway, I'm sure you've weighed up the pros and cons. More importantly however, it's really heartening to hear of somebody returning to banding after time away. So many people leave bands because of commitment issues (or whatever) and never return. The World is littered with lots of ex-players!

Glad you're enjoying banding again - it's not a matter of life and death; it's much more important than that :biggrin:

4. KenIrvin

KenIrvin Member

I would agree - its much easier to get your confidence back on the back row and aim to move forward as your playing improves.

5. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

cheers all. starting again is scary and repiano will be the go for a while i dare say! cant wait to get a good horn as the one i have been lent was played by Moses in the Isralite Staff Band i fear!!! Any ideas for a cheap reliable cornet? I have little to spend so anything flash is out. Was thinking of Besson BE-1020 or maybeBE 723??

6. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Well as Mr. Connery would say, shofar, shogood ;-)