Get your teeth into this

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by E flat fred, Jul 21, 2010.

1. E flat fred

E flat fred Member

Something to get your teeth in.

Advice required as a matter of urgency having played brass instruments for more years than I care to remember I am now in great difficulty trying to solve the predicament I find myself in.
    Over the years, I have lost teeth on a regular basis and I am now the owner with only the following teeth.
    Right Upper 1,2,and 3, Right Lower 1,2,3 and 4.
    Left Upper 1,2,3,4 and 5. Left lower 1,2,3 and 4.
    Due to this, it means that these remaining teeth have to bite and chew and over the years, they have worn away. This has been a gradual change and I have been able to manage playing my EE flat Bass with few problems.
    On my last visit to the dentist, it was found that my jaw was working in the wrong position and the remaining teeth had to be altered to realign my jaw. This meant that as a start the remaining teeth had to be lengthened permanently in order that the jaw would align itself to a new position. This was all thnat could be done for th first3 months prior to fitting implants, crowns, and bridges. The lengthening process meant that the upper and lower teeth were extended by 3/8 “ making my jaw ¾” wider. Due to this, it has altered the position of my mouth on the mouthpiece and there is no feeling on the teeth due to the extensions.
    I practice aprox. 2 hrs daily but I still cannot play notes below bottom C. High notes are no trouble at all except that all notes are now out of tune and this is not approved of by the rest of the Bass section.
    If I have to hold a single note for any length of time, my lips start to vibrate uncontrollably and the only way then is to stop playing and tongue the note again.

Has this got something to do with embouchure?

I have tried different mouthpieces to try to solve the problem but to no avail.

My dentist informs me that the problem will cease when all the teeth are fitted but the new position of the jaw will remain.
    I hope that some readers will be able to throw some light on my situation and help me out over this difficult time.

I could of course take the easy option out and join the percussion section, but that would not give me the same satisfaction as playing a brass instrument.

Here is hoping for an answer to my problem, that no doubt has been solved by other people in the Brass Band world.
    T.M.P. has never let me down ion the past and solutions have always been found.

2. Squeaker

Squeaker Member

That all sounds a bit tricky. When I was 14 years old I had a bad accident on my bike, hit a car and knocked out 4 front top teeth and 2 bottom front teeth. As a cornet player, this caused me considerable concern, I thoight I'd never play again! But a dentist (who became my hero) designed me two dentures that would fit firmly with little movement. However, my embouchure was different because my own teeth weren't completely straight, but the denture was. My cornet teacher helped me with the embouchure problem. It took me a year to get my stamina back and play to the standard I was at before the accident, but I got there, I now play sop for a top section band and have no problems with playing on two dentures.

I didn't have the problem that you've got with the jaw positioning problem, but my advice on that would be to see a teacher who knows about embiuchure positioning and get advice. It is possible to change your embouchure, it just takes time, patience and practice. I got used to playing on new teeth in different positions, so I'm sure you can be helped.
    I'm no expert, but I hope this helps. Stay positive and put the effort in and you give yourself a fighting chance.
    All the best!
  3. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Member

4. defnotsimon

defnotsimon Member

Stop practicing. That might sound more than a little counter productive but doing 2 hours a day isnt going to help. Practice doesnt make perfect. It just reinforces anything that you are doing, so if you are doing something wrong chances are it will take you a lot longer to get back into proper playing. 2 hours a day might seem like you are doing the right thing but can be VERY wrong.

Like people above said go and see someone. It may well be that you are in the right position and just having trouble adjusting to the new feeling.

No matter what you do dont try to change overnight because it just isnt going to happen.
  5. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Sounds like a complex rebuild case but I would agree with knocking down the practice until you are totally dentally fit as you'll have to readjust all over again. Will have a think over the next week and get back to you - long time since I've done complex buildups as I'm usually too busy trying to stop the little b*&!£$! from biting me!!!
  6. E flat fred

E flat fred Member

Progress being made. A new set of dentures (temps) was fitted on Friday comprising 12 molars.
    These now lock my jaw into a set position and playing has now become easier. Not perfect but a big improvement. Now awaiting next procedure. Will take approx 6 months. Dentist has assured me that all will be correct in the end but it is the waiting and the difficuly in playing that is causing problems.
  7. animal.22

animal.22 Member

ONE bass vs several cases of equipment ? NOT the easy option my good man!!!! :mad: