Germs - causes, effects and advice please!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sterlingsop, May 18, 2005.

1. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Ok folks, it's official. The sterlingsop has got a nasty germ type thingy that is seriously threatening to put a damper on Whit Friday (not to mention seriously ticking me off too!).

As some of you know I've been off work this week, moaning on and on about having a blummin cough and sore chest etc, but the doc confirmed it this morning that I've got a chest and throat infection. He's given me some antibiotics, and I've got as many things crossed that can be crossed to make sure it shifts enough to put in a reasonable performance on Friday night.

Here's a bit of irony for you....I started feeling a bit hot and fluey after doing my first aid re-qualification for school and practicing cpr on the Resusi-Anne (sp?) dolls. Now I'm not saying for one minute that the dolls are to blame for said nasty germ type thingy, but coincidence?? I think not my friends. And what's more, the course was run by the authority's occupational health department. Hmmm, I can sense a strongly worded letter being formed at this very minute.....

Does anyone have the ultimate recipe for a hot toddy? I tried one last night made with Jack Daniels, half a lemon, a big spoon of honey and boiling water. I couldn't tell you whether it did me any good or not, but boy did I sleep!

What else can I do to shift this thing????!! All advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you xxx

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Germs
    causes
    cough
    Whit
    bit
  3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Well you'll be happy to hear that, according to the BBC weather centre, the weather in the oldham area on Friday is forecast to be Light Showers...

4. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Fab........thanks Lynchie!

5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Regular paracetamol and keep your fluids up, (and unfortunately I don't mean beer!).
    Make sure you don't drink with the antibiotics, and be certain you finish the course...

Hope you feel better.

6. Bazza

Bazza Member

Get well soon Pam, we need you on Friday night. so make sure u rest lots and get lots of TLC!
    I do CPR on those awful resus dolls every month for staff training and we always wipe them with those alcohol/antiseptic wipes and I've never felt ill as a result of using them, i must've been lucky! my mum always makes me hot honey and lemons with a bit of whiskey in and a beechams powder, always makes me feel better!
    hope you feel better soon.

xx

7. six pints

six pints Active Member

i think im a bit strange, ive named all the little baby resus dolls that my lifesaving club has, and i babysit them. my favourite is josephine (number 8).

anyway... i got a chest infection a week before nationals a few years ago, meant i couldnt drink on the friday night (i think the conductor was relieved). made up for it on the saturday tho!

hope u feel better soon!

8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

In 3rd year at uni, I thought I had a cold/flu and decided to make Hot Toddy, however all of my other 5 housemates had different recipes. So I tried them all and ended up mildly drunk. The "cold" didn't shift, deteriorated. I went to listen to the Midland areas at Burton. Was told Flaming Sambuca would cure it. Work up on the Monday morning, couldn't speak my throat was so swollen.... shortly afterwards I was admitted to the uni hospital thing with Glandular Fever and Tonsilitis. Couldn't eat properly for a week. Doh!

If it is a cold, i recommend a good whisky and a hot curry. Sorts me everytime! (Apart from when its Glandualr Fever!)

9. KMJ Recordings

Official hat on ;)

Beechams powders contain aspirin. Aspirin + alcohol is not good (even though it's commonly done, it's not such a good idea).....risks include dizziness (even more than being paralytic :biggrin: ), increased nausea and a hightened risk of GI irritation leading to stomach bleeding and ulcers.

Incidentally, even though I'm now a retired brass player (and pretender to the Mobile Recording Throne) my degree's actually in Medicinal Chemistry :oops: .

So I'd avoid the Beechams with the whisky (or whiskey)...

10. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Keep taking the tablets Pam & I hope you get better very soon!! [​IMG]

11. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Hey! Don't say that like it was a bad idea!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Germs
    causes
    cough
    Whit
    bit
  13. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

BOFFIN!:) lol!

14. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

pammy hope u r better soon beleive me we really do need u in fine fettle XXXXXXXXXX

15. KMJ Recordings

Yep, even wrote it when I was wearing my labcoat :biggrin:

16. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

When you have to spend a week surviving solely on smoothies as a result, i think I can say it was a bad idea. Was comedy at the doctors when she said "ooh that throat looks extremely sore and swollen! I wonder what has inflamed it like that....?!"

17. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Thanks for the good wishes everyone, I'm touched. After a big kip this afternoon whilst watching eurosport I'm feeling a tad better thanks. It all remains to be seen now whether I can progress from lay down hacking my lungs out today, to being stood up in a field and blowing my lungs out on Friday!

Here goes......

18. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

I know and old alternative medicine, (which probably originates fron the NorthEast), "If you have flu, have a vindaloo". It works for me everytime, and it does not just relieve flu symptoms, it is just that vindaLOO rhymes with flu. I can also highly recommend it as a preventative medicine.

19. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I agree with many of the other tMPers

DO NOT mix aspirin or antibiotics with alcohol!!
    A vindaloo does help clear things out as well.

What I would do personally, and on the record I DON'T recommend this ;) is...
    Take meds Thursday Night before bed and continue Saturday Afternoon after you wake up.

In the mean time, have a hot curry and get so steamed up you feel no pain.

It's one big day that is to be enjoyed..no sense in letting illness get in the way

20. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

I ounce had a nasty string of infections, flu followed by synusitis then tonsilitis, (and I think they were spelt right at the time). My doctor was prescribing me good old penicilin, (second only to vidaloo). I said "I am off to Majorca in the morning, does this mean I am unable to drink?" He replied, "Mr Paton, I can see that you like a drink" (my well developed diaphragm always confuses people) "Would I prescribe anything where you cannot have a drink? If it does not say avoid alcohol on the medicine container, then you are fine".

21. KMJ Recordings

Avoid alcohol = adverse effects
    alcohol + antibiotic = reduced efficacy.

Most prescribed penicillin (i.e. amoxicillin) is pretty ineffective today anyway, due to the way doctors used to prescribed them like smarties when the patient presented with symptoms which were more likely viral anyway. The result was that the bugs became resistant to the 'ordinary' penicillin, but as it's cheap (and sometimes effective) it's still given out.

Here endeth the lecture :dunno;)

22. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Heh heh heh - I like the advice about not mixing alcohol and painkillers, but it's wasted this time on me I'm afraid. Not only am I off my food (yes you heard correctly, that's ME off my FOOD....!!!!) but I'm also off alcohol too. Everything I try to eat or drink just takes like slurry, and the thought of beer knocks me sick.

Actually.....this is very worrying. No food and no beer for Pam??? :(

NUUUUUUURRRSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEE!!!!!!