German radio broadcast tomorrow (Monday)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Jun 10, 2012.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Elgar Howarth is conducting the German WDR Brass in a radio broadcast tomorrow evening:

It's mostly familiar stuff to us, although they are doing Howarth's own Sonatina for Cornet, soloist Haken Hardenberger. The radio website has a radio recorder you can download, and Google will translate the pages for you, even if they do come up with some amusing results, such as:

WDR Brass? This name stuck to the brass of the WDR orchestra, which prove in this unusual concert of English music tradition of reverence: the British brass band. Emerging from the miners' movement of the 19th Century and spread through the Salvation Army Brass Band has long lost the odor of coal and steel reported by Church and enthusiasts as the trumpeter Elgar Howarth, the trombonist Gustav Holst and the Brass Band Conductor Derek Bourgeois captured the concert hall. Brass with Howarth's Fireworks beginners get an introduction to the art of blowing metal concert.

The schedule shows the programme going out at 8.05pm but I think that's continental time - it's 7.05pm for us in the UK.
  2. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

March from "The Dam Busters" as an encore I trust!!
  3. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Yes, let's hope Howarth doesn't decide to use his own arrangement of the Spitfire Prelude and Fugue as an encore either.

We've mentioned the war twice now but I think we've got away with it.
  4. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

MMMMMM. Mind you, if there is some Bourgeois involvment in the program, they may as well play Devil and the DBS.....My distant memory tells me it was pretty much the same piece as SPF!!!!