German Brass

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JF2, Sep 22, 2004.

1. JF2

JF2 New Member

Hi !
    I discovered this forum today and am pretty impressed ! Such a wealth of threads, peoples and stuff ...
    While surfing around a load of names occured to me which I up to now never had heard before ... is this forum US-based mostly then ?
    As my knowledge in brass-stuff seems to be Europe-centered I'd really be interested in the perception of european, esp. german Brass-Music in Your places. For instance I am a absolute fan of German Brass . Is it known anywhere outside Europe ?
    Just curious ...

2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Most of the people on here are from the UK... but there are members from US, Australia, Norway etc etc etc etc :-D

Can't say I know much German Brass music, although I know they are big on brass bands over their and Austria etc :D
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

erm,.... JF2 meant the ensemble called German Brass. Click on 'German Brass' on his post to link to the group's site (there is an English language version there too). Virtuoso group of players including Walter Hilgers on tuba. Always remember the piccolo playing on Abu Hassan (C.M. von Weber) and their Bach albums are great to listen to. I also like the Berlin Phil. Brass Ensemble recordings... mellower than German Brass but so musically presented.
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Yes i did do that ;-)
  5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi JF2 - welcome to tMP... thanks for the encouraging comments you made above. I am sure you will find a plethora of information here covering all sorts of topics.

If there's anything you need, don't be afraid to ask. You can contact any of the Moderators who are:

Roger Thorne, Dyl, Keppler, Sparkling_Quavers, Peter Bale, NeilTwist

... or myself of course.

Also... enjoy your visits and do help to spread the word of tMP yeah... we are always looking to attract new members.

6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Plethora!? Plethora!!

You been at the dictionary again, John? ;) erhaps my example is rubbing off :)
  7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Can come up with some big words on the odd occasion Mike... hehe
  8. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Yep, quite a few from the UK on here will have heard of German Brass. I have 3 of their CD's, and the playing is fantastic. I also have some Pro Brass from Austria, which is very diverse but excellent all the same, and all the Berlin Trombone Quintet CD's (and Music for that matter!).

As mentioned, the forum is mainly UK I suppose, but all contributees are welcome! We're alot closer than you think, but we don't seem to have many Germans on here I don't think.
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

.. just listening to the Austrian Pro Brass Ensemble's '20 Jahre Blech die Goldene' and this is class. The arrangements by Alfred Lauss and the jazzy numbers by Christian Muhlbacher are outstanding and playing to match their skills.
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You'll find there was some discussion of German Brass in this thread on influential brass pieces:

Hope you enjoy sharing with us on the site, and it's always good to hear what is going on elsewhere in the world ;)
  11. JF2

JF2 New Member

Thank You

Thank You for the warm welcome !
    ... looking forward to experience new worlds ;)
  12. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

My dad picked up a few German Brass CD's on his travels in Germany (funnily enough).
    Very fine ensemble indeed. I particularly like the Bach CD.. some stunning playing!