George Best, the final fall of a genius?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

2. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

So, so sad - a genius on the park,a genuinely nice guy, and intelligent.
    To be given a second chance with a new liver donated out of some families tragedy, and to throw it away like this - to lose all the important things in life, to knowingly head for the grave.
    This is what fame and wealth at an early age can do - we've seen it many times before.
    I don't blame him entirely - he is in the grip of an awfully powerful compulsion which is now his master.
    Let's hope this is now rock bottom and the only way is up - but personally I think he is so out of control that the next news item will be his obituary.
    Come on George - life can be sweet.
  3. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I agree with most of this, but having agreed I'm going to argue with it...
    Addiction is a terrible thing, but some people can beat it. Particularly for someone like George there are countless private clinics to be pampered in and people wanting to help you by taking your money. Face it, he was never in danger of ending up on the streets, he might have had more will-power to succeed if he had been. He can just keep on doing it in comfort until it kills him. His many "friends" and drinking partners are as much to blame as him. I like to think I wouldn't go drinking with a known alcoholic. Dunno, don't actually know any. I think.
    This sounds harsh but I hope he doesn't get another liver. Someone had to die for him and he's spitting on their grave by continuing his lifestyle. Some peopl need new livers through no fault of their own, some have made a real committment to change. Whatever the circumstances these people should have first call on new organs.

4. ju33les

ju33les Member

Just been watching this loser on the news!
    We both agreed that it would be like having a lung transplant and still smoking!(we both smokers!)
    TUT TUT!