Geography query...

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by 5010 Hn, Mar 28, 2005.

1. 5010 Hn

5010 Hn New Member

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere...... but.....

Isn't Jersey MILES away from London/Southern Counties!!!????...... :)

I'll get my coat! ;)
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I thought it was miles away from England in France? I'll have to look that one up.
  3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Jersey is the largest of the Channel Islands and sits in the English Channel about 12 miles off the French coast.

If you ever have the opportunity its certainly worth a visit. My brother has lived there for over 25 years and I would definitely recommend it for a peaceful holiday. I believe their Brass Band is pretty good too! :tup

Here's a link to one of many websites about the island.

4. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I believe that Jersey moved to LSC because it was easier/cheaper with flights rather than getting to Torquay in the West of England section. They moved over last year.
  5. DublinBass

Talk about banding have to get a flight or ferry to any contest. Impressive.
  6. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Slightly off topic, but the Australian Soccer will soon be part of the Asian Football Federation and they are on a totally different continent!

Back on topic, Jersey Premier Brass aren't the only band who have to travel from far off islands. The Isle of Mann bands have a fair trek across the Irish Sea to get to Blackpool, and there are a few bands based on the Scottish Islands who have to travel a fair way to get to Dunfermline for the Scottish Areas!
  7. DublinBass

With Australia only having 0.5 World Cup places for next year and Asia 4.5 (I think, I know the half is correct), it seems a pity they didn't already do it for this years world cup by at least having the play in game vs. each other (Asia plays CONCACAF 4, not sure who Australia plays).
  8. picju96

picju96 Member

There's an instrumental service Easter Concert that all the kids who have lessons have to play in, so about 400 kids. As the brass band is about half people who have lessons from the instrumental service, they can't miss the concert. The West of England areas always fell on the same weekend as the concert, and the London and Southern Counties one never did. The fact that flights to Gatwick are cheaper and more frequent than Southampton also played a part.
  9. picju96

picju96 Member

It's also very expensive, at around about £6000 a time. The band has no sponsorship either, so everything is raised by the band.