Genuine Brass Band Legends

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by The King of Wise, Aug 27, 2004.

1. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Where's the "Green with envy" smiley when you need it? I never got to hear "The Prodigal" live, but I did hear Ron stick in a top 'D' at the end of "None Other Name" in Middlesborough Town Hall; that would have been around '74 or '75 as far as I am able to recall. Probably still on an old "Imperial" sop as well ...

2. Sop - Peter Roberts
    Cornet - Roger Webster
    Flug - Mark Walters
    Horn - Sheone White
    Baritone - Katrina Marzella
    Euph - Glynn Williams

There my favourites!

3. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

Sop- Bryan Evans
    Cornet- Roger Webster
    Flug- David Horsefield
    Horn- Billy Rushworth
    Euph- Billy Millar
    Baritone- John Slinger
    Tromb- John Pollard
    Ef Bass- Steve Sykes
    Bf Bass-Derek Jackson

4. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

I don't class Doug Yeo as a brass band trombonist as he's a symphony orchestra player primarily-stick to the point of the thread!

5. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

From 1998-2008, Doug Yeo was Music Director of The New England Brass Band, which in 2006, won first place in the Honors Section at the North American Brass Band Association (NABBA) Championship. From 2007-2009 he served a term as NABBA's Vice-President and was a member of the NABBA Board of Directors. There is much more on his web-site relating to his connection to brass banding.

It is hardly off-topic that he should be considered, regardless of his other musical activities.

6. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

That being the case, Geoff, has Doug ever held a seat as a brass band bass trombonist?

He is an amazing player, and there aren't many better than him. But other than the odd depping job and cd, has he actually been a playing member?

7. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

The title of this thread is "Genuine Brass Band Legends". No criteria were set in terms of players/MDs etc being eligible for consideration, other than "To be even worthy of a mention, a legend should have performed with bands at the highest level for a number of years and had the respect of his or her peers during that time."

I was simply pointing out that mentioning him as a candidate was not going off-topic.

8. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Probably not, however I would question whether he is a BB legend. In my opinion, he isn't.

9. adrian90s

adrian90s Member

Has the nominated person got to be a 'legend' at just playing? I have been in some bands where legendary activities took place by not so legendary players. No names!!!!!

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

4BR has just posted the sad news that Stephen Thornton has recently died after a short illness at the age of 60. If anyone can remember him from some time ago, he had a sound that was one the best of his generation.

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=10957

11. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I agree; very sad news and far too young as well.

12. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Delighted to see John Pollard's name mentioned! What a star he was - every so often he'd blow you away with his phenomenal playing! :clap: I was in Consett Band when he was solo trombone there and used to listen to all his tales of yore not knowing whether he was winding me up, or really did all the things he said he did! :oops: I don't know too much about John, or what's happened to him, but I'm sure someone out there will be able to tell me about this star of the past - I believe he was in JSVB? I also heard Bolivar was written for him and not Mr Bousefield - but was that another wind-up...?

13. jezza23361

jezza23361 Member

Hi

Not sure that Bolivar was written for either as it was written before Ian Bousfield was born - unless Eric Cook had amazing foresight. My Dad was playing it with the Guards in the early 60's - we still have a live recording from Friday Night is Music Night somewhere.

Jeremy

14. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Hi Jezza23361

I'd class your Dad as a genuine legend . Went to hear Enfield many moons ago and he played "Better World" and I came home and told my dad that I wanted to play like that one day. Whether I did or not is a moot point :)
    A great inspiration to a young player at the time though.

15. hornblower01

hornblower01 New Member

Cliff Edmunds, in his time, was the best horn player in the country. He was the horn soloist for men o brass and the All Star Brass.

16. hornblower01

hornblower01 New Member

Oh and Teddy Gray was the best cornet player

17. james edwards

james edwards New Member

Peter Graham?

18. hornblower01

hornblower01 New Member

Gilbert Vinter?

Slider1 likes this.
  19. derekdawson

derekdawson Member

if I'm not mistaken Bolivar was brought to Grimethorpe by Arthur Tupling ex Royal Signals Band, he was Solo Trom at Grimey before John Pollard

20. Slider1

Slider1 Active Member

No doubt most of the best Bands in the Country had "Legends" playing for them.

Where do you start or stop. Harry Mortimer - Derek Garside - Maurice Murphy - Brian Evans - Lyn Baglin - the Childs Bros. - Steve Sykes - Shaun Crowther - et al. The list goes on & on & on hopefully.