Gentlemen of a certain age

Discussion in 'Thread Games & Totally Random...' started by mikelyons, Jul 26, 2006.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I'm going to be a large number, equivalent to half a century on Monday, and my partner is whisking me off to the lakes for the weekend and the day itself. Is there anybody else on here who feels that 50 :eek: is a life-changing number to be?

I mean, people say "Life begins at 40" but I can't say I noticed anything different? However, as the final 20 years of my life approaches like an avalanche I'm wondering how other people who got there before me (PB?) coped with the actual day.

I think mine might just pass in an alcoholic daze. What would/did you do?

The reason I'm posting this now is that I'm going to be kept away from computers for the whole weekend and a day :eek: - which actually starts on Friday - so I won't be able to ask then. I can feel the cold turkey already!:hammer And I'm a veggie!

2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I'll let you know when I get there in 18 years time! Have a very happy birthday Mike! :cool: :guiness

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

To be honest, Mike, I can't remember - and I can't even blame it on alcohol!!!

My diary for September 14th is blank, although it fell between attending a concert by my old band and setting off on the Thursday to go to Birmingham for the Open. I'm sure we must have had a meal of some sort, although nothing too special as my parents took Jonathan & me to a fancy Chinese restaurant on the Friday.

Maybe one of the effects of turning 50 is loss of . . . what's it called?

;)

(I think you're probably selling yourself short with your "final 20 years approaching" as life expectancy is continually increasing, in the developed world at least)

4. mikelyons

I know, but I was thinking about 3 score and ten :) I'm not religious about it though :p

5. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

It's always struck me as unnecessary that you spend the first 20 and last 20 years of your life being either too young or too old to enjoy life...
    Have a lovely birthday Mike, sure you've got loads of enjoyable years left. :)
    BMB
    xx

6. Di

Di Active Member

Have a super weekend Mike and hope you enjoy your birthday treat. :) Happy birthday me ole duck.

7. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Congratulations and Happy Birthday Mike :clap: :tup

8. mikelyons

Thank you folks. I survived looking at myself in the mirror this morning and I had an absolutely fabulous weekend. When we got to the guest house, I suddenly found myself surrounded by family and friends. They had hired the whole place for the weekend. I was very touched.

Sometimes I can be a complete ass, but the people who are really important put up with it. I really feel that I didn't deserve such a wonderful treat. It was the best birthday I've ever had.