Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by John Brooks, Sep 30, 2015.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I just returned from a vacation that took me to Mount St. Helens in Washington State, US. 35 years ago this volcano literally blew its top (removing 1,300 feet from the top) and devastating the area for many miles around, including the deaths of 57 people.
    Coincidentally, as I was approaching the site, I was listening to the new Dyke CD "Genesis" in my rental car, (having received the CD the day before I left for the trip). It was an amazing experience from many perspectives not the least of which is the genesis that has taken place and, while much evidence of the destructive force of nature remains, new forests are flourishing. The music added to my experience.
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Do you know the Hovhaness Mount St Helens symphony? Tremendously evocative depiction of the area and the eruption.
    Gorgie boy likes this.
  3. John Brooks

Hi Peter, No, I was not aware of that piece. Thanks for the info and I'll be sure to check it out.
  4. John Brooks

Hi again Peter,
    I bought a performance on Naxos by Gerard Schwarz and the Seattle Symphony. Thanks so much for pointing me to this piece. I agree with your comments.
  5. Charles Parnell

Charles Parnell New Member

I thought you were listening to Duke by Genesis but then I read it again :-(