Gems from the library?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by andywooler, May 8, 2005.

1. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Whilst there are a lot of new charts for band these days, like most bands, we have a huge library of stuff which hasn't seen the light of day for many years!

I puled out Bach Goes To Town recently (Alec Templeton, arr. Tony Spurgin) which still works well as an arrangement today.

What gems have you found at the back of your library?
  2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Grandma's Parcel and Gaytime are the two that crack me up...
  3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

We had Zampa Overture out the other night. cracking!:clap:
  4. I haven't played it for a few years but "Samum" takes some beating and is probably lurking in the corner of a lot of libraries out there?
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... most bands seem to have that classic overture 'The Arcadians' gathering dust in libraries ... still a nice little blow! :rolleyes:
  6. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I am a big fan of "The Impressario" and "The Lonely Mill"

cracker pieces!!
  7. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

"The Gay 90s". It's basically a medley of popular waltzes from the 90s....that's the 1890s! It's definately a good old fashioned cheesy piece that audiences seem to like!
  8. alks

alks Member

Last year our band dug out ..saturday morning overture or something lie that ? An older test piece ....not sure from when? But it was a good fun piece to whip through.

9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We've been using "The Impressario" to open our concerts for a while now. Great piece. Played at the speed Fodens play it on the Year of the Dragon CD (Well nearly!) that opening is quite focusing right at the start of a concert! :biggrin:

Wigston is lucky enough to have a 100 years worth of library to delve into so there are lots of hidden gems in there - too many to list. But a few I can think of off the top of my head:

Downland Suite - simply fantastic.
    Prince Igor - OK not sooo old (1970???) but still an enjoyable blow.
    A motor trip - very very cheesy novelty piece written back when "motoring" was an adventure not a chore.

And one which I've never played but has a title which always raises a smile:

Droop Not Young Lover.......:eek:

10. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Not with any band at present, but I remember digging Die FelsenmhĂșle (The Mill on the Cliff) out with my last band.... corking overture...
  11. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Played it last year at a few concerts. Great piece that many bands would struggle with!
  12. Highams

Highams Member

In the old Hanwell band library was a piece called 'A Coon's Day Out' !

13. JR

JR Member

There must be loads of politically incorrect stuff gathering dust (thankfully)e.g.:

Pride of Race (3rd section test 1975 - v sad)
    Any Black and White Minstrel Selection
    The Gay Delavals
    the afore-mentioned Gay 90s

any more for any more?

john r
  14. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Coming from my background, I guess I have to say the Alexander Owen stuff is crammed full of interesting things (although there is some - dare I say it? - not so good stuff as well). I rediscovered a lot of it when some was released into the public domain. Lots of tunes that are good to listen to - and others that give the Bass section something to think about ;)

If any of you are from the older bands (and by that I mean the centagenarians!) have a look in your libraries and see if you've got any of the Charles Godfrey arrangements that were done for the Open early last century - I'm afraid that I'm a bit of a sad flat-capper in this respect. The Ord Hume arrangement of Scheherazade is worth checking out in this respect as well...
  15. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Erm... Fox and Hounds ?

16. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

How about the famous Robbie Burns poem, that became a mainstay of my band's musical repertiore for the last umpteen summers:

"Cock up you Beaver", which literally translates to raise your hat when passing a fellow villager :biggrin: