Gear: Gig Bag

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by Aidan, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Tenor Horn Gig Bag - available from www.gig-bags.com

Sick of lugging my hard case around on busses trains and walking, I decided to spend a chuck of my hard-earned student loan on the purchase of a new gig bag. At first I was attracted to a "Soundware" bag made by "Winter" in Germany, but after talking to a couple of my friends, was persuaded not to persue it as the seaming has a tendancy to rip easily, causing the whole line of their cases to be recalled :shock:
    The bag I entually purchased (made by a company called "GIG") cost me £80 plus £7 postage, which, it turned out, was extremely good value. Until recently this bag was almost unheard of, but has grown in popularity, especially amongst young people, due to its sleek "surf-bag" looks.
    Quite simply, this bag is the tardis (you know.. that big phone box off Dr. Who!) The amount of things I was able to comfortably fit inside the case amazed me. It is padded very well, (since I have had it i have only had one dent, purely my fault for dropping the case :wink: ). It has a completely waterproof exterior, and is available in a variety of colours (admittedly of which, some colour schemes are awful!!!) I went for the sleek grey and black option :wink:
    It is very easy to carry with 2 shoulder straps, 1 handle at the top of the bag and one on the side. It is also surprisingly light, untill you pile as much stuff into it as i do!! It has 3 main compartments, and central main padded one for the instrument, complete with a strap to hold the instrument, one at the front for odds and ends and one at the back (designed for music). I can quite comfortably fit into it, my horn :wink: (durr!) In the front compartment I normally have: a straight mute, 2 pencils + 2 pens (in their own little pockets!), a metronome, blistez and vaseline, dusters + polishing cloths, even a couple of packets of crips+kitkats for when i am skint! and lastly my diary :D In the back I keep all my music (and I do mean all my music!!!including my arban cornet method (258 pages!) and the 3 Vizzuti trumpet method books, as well as, my band pad(s) studies, pieces and excercises etc etc!!! and even somethimes my music stand if necessary!

So.. Heres my scores :wink:

Lookability: Looks like it should belong on a Baywatch set, has a very streetwise look, more like a rucksack than an instrument case
    Verdict: 9/10

Weight: Very light for its size, untill you start packing it with crap!
    Verdict: 7/10

Protection: Only one dint so far, touch wood. (Note to self... dont drop gig bags) Overall Firm padding and Excellent protection from rain etc.
    Verdict: 8/10

Carry-ability: Straps and handles to suit everyones needs. Main straps also have reflectors for when cycling :lol: and are easily adjustable.
    Verdit: 9/10

Extras: Has Pockets for just about everything you would need, and can hold just about anything you would need to take with you, except perhaps your car... The word "tardis" springs to mind again, pure quality.
    Verdict: 10/10

Total: 43/50
    Verdict: No household should be without one! A qulaity item.
    Not sure exactley what instruments they cater for, (tenor horn wasnt listed on the site, but turns out they made them anyway) and custom sized bags can be ordered anyway. Definately happy with my purchase!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Gig Bag
    Gig Bag Tenor Horn
    www.gig-bags.com
    Gig Bag Tenor
    Gig Bag - available
  3. keith_b

keith_b New Member

A mate of mine has the trombone version and it seems pretty good.

Shame they don't do one for tuba. :-(

4. dave jake

dave jake Member

Shame they don't do one for tuba. :-([/quote]

Ive got one for my Bb bass makes it possible to get it into the back of any car, even a Ka. Only problem is getting the bass in and out of the bloody bag. :x :x

5. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

i have a Bass Trom one. it is the Best case i have had. Other than my trom it is the best thing i have bought.

Plus i won it on Ebay for only £25. so what a bargin

6. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Until they stretch a bit, it's a bit like trying to put a condom on a bass eh?! :eek:

What make of gig bag have you got BTW?!

7. picju96

picju96 Member

I now have one of these for my trumpet, also won on Ebay! It's great.

8. picju96

picju96 Member

Just tried packing all my junk in, and my music doesn't fit. Very disappointed! Does it fit if u try hard enough, or is it just because its a trumpet gig bag?

9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

well i presume as the trumpet one is smaller.. it may have a smaller music compartment :S but not sure. Mine's fine ;) :p

10. BassBoneShep

BassBoneShep Member

Gig Bags

Couldn't agree more. Bought my Bass Trom bag thru e-bay and it is a good buy. Like a bottomless pit, mute, stand, bone, creams, lubricants, music etc, etc. Recommend to anyone who has a lot of stuff to go with an instrument.
    TTFN :roll:

11. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I'm guessing this is one of the makes that zips up at the side. I know my bro's got one of the Bach bass gigs bags and they are like this. The band bought a full set for the basses and they are damn awkward for getting the bass in/out. I recommend buying a make that zips at the top around the bell... much easier. Just slide it it the top and zip it up. Mines a Supersac I think. Had it for quite a few years now and it's wearing well.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Gig Bag
    Gig Bag Tenor Horn
    www.gig-bags.com
    Gig Bag Tenor
    Gig Bag - available
  13. yorkyboy

yorkyboy Member

The dealer for the gig bags is a bloke called Tom Rees from Octave Above. The website is out of date now and there is a lot of new bags on the market. Call Tom on 01484 431725
    for more info.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

Gig bags

My daughter an I both have trom 'Gig' bags, be careful if buying the tenor trom bag, as open wrap Bb/f troms re a real tight squeeze. The basstrom bag is superb, when I practise, I geerally park the car in the bag.

15. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Aiden,

Have you taken your horn on a plane in the Gig bag? can you measure it for me? :lol:

Thanks mate!!!

16. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Incredibly useful review by the way Aidan, thanks! :wink:

17. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

My horn in a Bach bag fit in the overhead locker on a small plane - the Gig bag must be pretty much the same dimensions so should be ok. Most planes also have a "wardrobe" in the cabin so you may be able to arrange to stow it there. After the amount of damage reported by bands who flew to Dundee, I'd do anything to avoid it going as normal cargo!!

18. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yeah I've taken it on the plane quite a few times, with no probs.. cept at customs once when i forgot to take my penknife out of one of the pockets ;) its a bit of a squeeze when you pack it as full as i do :? but it does fit ok.

19. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Thanks Aiden,

Think I will buy Rachael one of these when I get her a new horn next year.

Darrol

20. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I agree that the Tuba bags with the zips in the top are soooo much better. I have a case for my sov case (for when I flew o/s with the youth orchestra yonks ago) that it a pain to get on and off because it zips on the side. That and trying to make it fit around the wheels.

I just feel with tuba gig bags that you risk doing back damage hauling it around on your back (like most tuba bags are set up for) for excessive quantities of time. Correction, as a kid, that's why my parents would never let me have one :x

21. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I think Matthew saw the future there dave?!! :wink:

22. dave jake

dave jake Member

Almost eerie :shock: :shock: