G'Day

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by HelenMcBaritone, Jan 26, 2007.

1. HelenMcBaritone

HelenMcBaritone New Member

Hello everyone!

I've only been playing in a brass band since last March but I'm well and truly hooked, especially after Butlins last weekend so I thought I'd sign myself up and find out what the cracke is seeing as how loads of people talk about the mouthpiece.

I moved back home to the north east last March after a good few years in the north west and I finally succumbed to suggestions by my mate from Haydock that I play a brass instrument. She bad influences me all the time that one and long may she continue to do so.

Thanks to those of you who have welcomed me so far without me even posting anything. I'm looking forward to finding out a lot more about this crazy world of brass banding.

Cheers

Helen

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hello
    Helen
    Butlins
    Haydock
    March
  3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Howdy Doody, and welcome Good Helen

I am from the land known as Oldham, and I play for Delph Band (Section Section winners at Butlins)

where did you live in the North West?

HB

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi and welcome to tMP Helen. :hi

Nice avatar :)

5. HelenMcBaritone

Thanks for the welcome. I did live in Liverpool HB - for 17 years. Went to uni there and kind of stayed. Great place but it's nice to be home too.

Helen

6. Hells Bones

Ever come to Manchester?

7. HelenMcBaritone

Quite a bit actually - one of my brothers lives southish manchester. I take it you're fairly local to Manchester?

8. HelenMcBaritone

Doh! it says right under your name that you're in Oldham - it's been a long day!

9. HelenMcBaritone

oh and you said you were from Oldham in an earlier message too - soz. So you had a great time at Butlins then?

10. Hells Bones

Did indeed, My band (Delph) won so we were pleased as punch lol

how did you do?

11. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

well hello helen!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hello
    Helen
    Butlins
    Haydock
    March
  13. HelenMcBaritone

Well done! I didn't get to hear any other bands, sadly but it sounds like it was quite a contest.

We came 7th in 4th section which wasn't too bad. Onwards and upwards from there hopefully lol

14. HelenMcBaritone

Well hello yourself and how's it going? Thanks for the greeting :sup

15. pdj

pdj Member

Lol hiya Helen, just found this and i know its a little late cos we have already spoken many times but well just to make it official like. Hi, hello, G`Day and welcome:biggrin: Us baritones have gota stick together!!!

Catch up with ya soon buddy:)

16. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Hi Helen... you say you have just started playing Brass? What did you play before? I assume you were a musician already, either that or you are a VERY fast learner!!

17. HelenMcBaritone

Hi,

Sorry, I've only just realised there was another message. I have tried being a musician in the past - playing violin and guitar but not to a very high standard at all. The reading music part hasn't been much of a problem - just the bad playing lol. I do live in hope though that I might be better on brass than i was on stringed instruments - give me another year or twenty and i might feel confident. I am loving it though.

I'm presuming the "Conical Bore Lip Vibrated Aerophone" is a cornet (I still don't know much about these things). So what would a baritone be?

Helen

18. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Yes a cornet - that's me trying to be funny!:confused:

I was looking at a museum's website that featured ancient musical instruments and I noticed that trumpets were in this category so assumed a cornet would be too! I think all brass band instruments would be classed the same actually :redface:

19. HelenMcBaritone

lol - i suppose they would now that i've thought about it (it takes me a while but i get there in the end). Impressive description anyway!

20. PinkElephant

PinkElephant New Member

i noticed the 'G'day'...have you ever lived in australia or is our slang crossing oceans? ;)

21. HelenMcBaritone

Hi Suzy (or should I say G'day?),

No, I've never lived in Oz or even been there. I think my brothers used to find the accent fascinating when watching the Sullivans in the days before even Neighbours started. They used to wander round saying G'Day to everyone and it just kind of stuck with me. I do watch neighbours quite a lot though but don't tell anyone.

so how are you finding the mouthpiece and what do you play?

cheers for the message

Helen

22. PinkElephant

PinkElephant New Member

Neibours??? Geez, no offence, but almost noone watches that these days. at least, no one where i am.

as for what i play? primarily i play the flugel, although generally i will play any valved brass instrument...i also have my very own beuti-fantastic trumpet...a Getzen Eterna....its my baby.....

and as for the mouthpiece? to be honest i dont think i will be a big poster here...i post in a few forums as it is, and because im in my second last year og highschool, i am studying heaps...(exams start next week!!!)

so yeah. hi!