GCSE results 2007

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by imthemaddude, Aug 23, 2007.

1. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I couldn't find a thread already started so as I have just got back from finding out my GCSE and English SATs results for my classes, I hope everyone else has got what they wanted too.
  2. Alisop

Alisop Member

We got 100% A* - C for our GCSE music class (12 students) with 58% getting an A* or A. Can't complain at that! Just wish the A-Level results were as good!
  3. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

That's 6.96 students then? lol
    Good for them, and well done everyone who passed :)
  4. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

5 A's, 4 B's and 1 C for me!

Am quite pleased with them! :D
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Well done, Chris - I'm sure it represents a lot of hard work ;)
  6. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Was quite pleased. My Y11 group this year was low ability with several pupils with serious behavioural problems, so wasn't looking at A*'s just trying to get them all to do as well as they could. Mostly about equiping them with the skills they need now they will be looking for jobs. Had a couple of pupils who had only been in England for a couple of years, who were naturally bright but were in a low set with difficult pupils because of their language skills, who got a C which was pleasing, but generally find this emphasis on C or above at all costs unhelpful. Spent half the morning explaining to good but fairly weak pupils who had got E's or F's having been predicted F's or G's that they had done as well as they could when both they and their parents were fixed on unless you get a C you're a failure.
  7. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

My homeschooled physics boy got an A* - that's ma boy! I've told him to remember his inspirational physics teacher when he's a rich and famous rock star;)
  8. 1alexm

1alexm Member

i'm well dissapointed that i only got a C in music, which is the highest grade in my class, it not my fault i got a C it the teacher and the schools fault, my school sucks for music, my music teacher said i was going to get an A or a B,(Edit:inappropriate comment removed, PB, Mod), i passed in business GNVQ which is 4 C's, i got a C in ICT, a C in english, a C in maths, half a C in RE, a D in science, a D in history and an E in media studies.
    so in total i got:
    8.5 C's
    2 D's
    1 E

my conductor, secretary/solo horn player, and percussionist got me a cool "you've passed your exams" card :)

i celebrated by going to my mates house, came home and had cake and a few drinks, then i went to band rehearsal to practice test piece for finals, top man and 3rd man were on holiday so i played top and 4th man played 2nd man, and we both found it scary haha.

i can now do the A levels that i wanted to do in the 6th form, which are music, business, maths, and ICT. I have to take a bus to a college to study music because my school doesn't teach music, i'm the only one from my school studying music in 6th form i think.

congrats to all the people that did well in their exams :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2007
  9. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

Sure that’s disappointing when you were expecting a better result (but the highest in your class – that’s cool!). But don’t get too hung up on “whose fault” it was. In the end, however hard you sweat for an exam, most end up just being a stepping stone to the next stage, and yours are good enough to get you to college/6th form to do what you want (which all look like proper A-levels to me;)). In fact that’s a pretty impressive crop of results and you should feel proud of yourself.

So good luck for the future and enjoy college (and remember the tutors there are on your side!)
  10. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I got 68% A to C with my 19 students - 20% up on last year - woo!!

Bit fed up as I personally felt they could have done better some of them, but then I do think I worked quite hard with them...... oh well!

Our school got 74% overall, which is up 10% on last year!!!
  11. horn1

horn1 Member

Very pleased with my kids results. I had a real mixed bag of a class with kids who kept dropping out. Ended up with 2 kids who couldn't really play anything or read much music and they got and E and an F. Sounds low but it's actually a huge achievment as there was no music at KS3 before I started there 2 years ago, so their first fulltime music lessons started with the GCSE they've just done. All my (and their) hardwork paid off in the end!!! Yay!!
  12. umchacha56k

umchacha56k Member

i got well more than i was expecting

6 A's 3 B's and 2 c's

i was only 5 marks off an a star in music : )

well done to everyone
  13. BenjaminG1785

BenjaminG1785 New Member

i got 2 b's, 4c's, 2 d's and 2 e's. but hey i'll improve for A-levels.

plus im proud of my B in music!
  14. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

They let you do A levels after those results? I guess it is true about educational standards falling then.
  15. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

That's a bit harsh!

When I did my A levels some time ago you only needed to get 4 A-C grades, including maths and english, at GCSE to do A Level and if you didn't manage that you did a foundation year to improve your GCSE grades.
  16. hicks

hicks Member

Well you've got to take into account that these days, grades of A/A* across the board are quite often achieved.
  17. louise0502

louise0502 Member

That's very harsh. You need 5 A*-Cs to study A-levels, and he got a lot higher than that. Well done Ben.
  18. lilz

lilz Member

ive got to agree its being a bit harsh, even if people are getting higher grades he still got what was needed.
  19. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

You can get in with hardly anything now. Could get a C in one of those media studies courses that apparently count as 4GCSE's (not saying media is easy, just that it shouldn't count for 4) and one other GCSE. Not necessarily a bad thing as long as they then do appropriate A-Levels. A C at GCSE maths does not mean you are good enough to do A-Level maths and I imagine its the same in a lot of other subjects. Seem to get increasing number of pupils who pick A-Levels way above their ability ignoring the advice of subject staff and then blame us when they fail.
  20. louise0502

louise0502 Member

At my college you had to get an A*-A at GCSE to be able to do A-level in maths, languages and other things becuase a C just doesn't equip you with the knowledge to be able to carry it on without the basics. But for most other subjects it doesn't matter because you practically start learning again, as the syllabus for A-level is so different to the syllabus for GCSE.