GCSE music !

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by goldencornet, Oct 28, 2008.

1. goldencornet

goldencornet New Member

Hi everyone! just wanted to know if you had any suggestions for pieces that I could play for my upcoming GCSE music course. I am grade 6 standard and I am desperately searching for a good piece without a band or ensemble accompaniment that I could play. Please Help!

2. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

how about your grade 6 exam pieces?

they'll be with piano and will be plenty good enough for GCSE music :)

3. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Yes, and most importantly - play a Grade 5 piece well rather than a Grade 6 piece badly!!! (not saying you will .... but using it as an example). Grade 5 is a high standard for GCSE nowadays, so if you nail a Grade 5 piece perfectly you'll get a very good mark.

Or one of the studies? Assuming we're talking ABRSM here.

4. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

you only need to be something like grade 3 to get full marks if you nail it, so grade 5 or six is what I would go with.

like Leyfy says though - whatever it is, make sure you play it perfectly as you will get a better mark for an easier piece that is nailed on rather than a ropey, more difficult piece.

5. goldencornet

goldencornet New Member

thanks guys!

6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I'd second all of that. I'd also reccommend getting something that plays to your strengths - are you a technician, or a lyrical player? If you're not too bothered what you play, give them a grade 5 set piece from the ABRSM they seem to be enough to get mediocre players a good grade, so they should certainly get you an A or A* for your performance. All the very best of luck with it.

7. shellie

shellie Member

im doing my GCSE in music next year and i have been told to play grade 3/4 music because it is easyer to mark and if played well you still get full marks

8. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

this is going back quite a few years, but i played "The Lost Cause"...
    oo sorry, Lost Chord
    got an A grade
    but no idea how !

9. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

For some of the students I have prepared over the last 3 years they played the following:

Drum Kit - drum break in "the muppets" - got an A*
    Euphonium - Weidekher - got an A
    Cornet - Ballad from Allan Vizzutti 20 Dances for trumpet - got an A
    Trumpet - Air (grade 5 ABRSM) - got an A*
    Euphonium - Air from Orpheus and Euridice - got an A
    Trumpet - Corelli Gigue - got an A*
    Trombone - Let's Call the Whole Thing Off - got an A

For AS/A level recital last year had students playing

Cornet - Song and Dance and Ballet Suite (Tchaik)
    Euphonium - Rhapsody for Euphonium and Carrickfergus

I'd strongly reccommend looking at the Vizzutti 20 Dances. In particular, the flamenco would seem to "tick all the boxes" with syncopated rhythms etc thrown in

10. stopher

stopher Member

Check which exam board you are doing first and then have a look at the syllabus to see what you need to do.

I know with the WJEC, you have to fit either your solo or ensemble piece into one of the 5 areas of study and anything above Grade 3 means your mark gets multiplied by 3 so it is out of 60. Bit complicated!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    GCSE
    band
    upcoming GCSE music course
    pieces
    suggestions
  12. awalker

awalker Member

For my GCSE I played On The Sunny Side of the Street by John Iveson as a solo and Early One Morning as a ensemble piece.

Hope this helps :D

13. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Don't worry - you'll walk it. You can read crochets, that in itself merits an A these days!!

I've taught lots of people who have done GCSE music and most play something grade 4/5 and end up with an A/A*. You need to remember that lots of pupils taking GCSE music will not be as committed as you and see it as an easy option requiring no work. These pupils cannot play an instrument or read music and yet still somehow end up with a grade so you'll be fine.

(I'm still to be convinced that anyone should be awarded a GCSE without actually being able to read music. To me it's like getting an English GCSE without being able to read words. I've heard the arguments around inclusion and am not convinced by them. Some things in life require application, effort and study - it is these things that bring the biggest rewards. Sorry a bit off-topic :eek:)

14. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I think I played 'Meditation from Thais' .....whether or not you do this for the exam, I'd recommend playing it anyway-it's a beautiful piece.