gcse flugel solo

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by FlugelBetty, Aug 21, 2008.

1. FlugelBetty

FlugelBetty New Member

does anyone know which peice i could play for my gcse music performance on my flugel?
    erm, im about grade 5ish standard and could do with one that doesnt need a full brass ensemble behind, erm maybe one with like a cd or sumthing?

any help would be much appreciated :tup

betty :rolleyes:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    erm
    gcse flugel solo
    tup betty
    gcse music performance
    grade
  3. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

Our assistant principal flugel player did "Misty" and got an A* :)
    She did it with band accompaniment but I bet someone could knock up a piano part if necessary from the band parts. It's pretty and lyrical with a chance to show off a little bit at the end.

4. FlugelBetty

FlugelBetty New Member

thanx!! will google it lol
    xxx

5. davidsait

davidsait Member

Can I recommend you have a look at www.gramercymusic.com? Particularly the Gramercy Lyric Album, which are solos with piano, but for which band parts are also available.

6. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I looked into getting this done once from a solo that didn't have a piano part, because I wanted to play it in a solo contest. Unfortunately I discovered that copyright didn't allow this. There might be a piano version available though - worth checking it out.

There are a lot of "standard" solos, and for GCSE standard I think you can pick a grade 5 piece, if that's any help, although if you can play something of higher standard there's no reason not to choose it!

Share My Yoke is a solo I've always meant to buy, and I like Adrian Drover's arrangement of Marianne. You could also choose any cornet or trumpet solo that doesn't sound wrong on a flugel - anything lyrical or a bit jazzy would do, although something amazingly technical and/or fast would sound amazing if played well.

7. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

The lowest recommended grade for AQA GCSE is about grade 4 (would get you a C) anything higher is a bonus!

8. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

Yes, you are quite right. So this is what you do... look at who owns the copyright on the music you have. Email or ring them and ask if you can do a piano arrangement for your own use, (not for publication) and say they can of course have a copy for their records. You will get one of the following responses:

-yes, sure, no problem, go ahead.
    -yes, sure, but it'll cost you (maybe about £25 for a licence)
    -no
    -deathly silence (which amounts to the same as "no"!)

I did this for a duet this summer and the publisher was perfectly happy for me to do it for nothing, provided I put the relevant copyright words on the bottom of the sheet. If you don't ask, you don't get!
    :)

PS commissions for piano accompaniment writing now being taken! ;)

9. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Nice one, I might take you up on that one day ;). Don't think I'll be entering any solo contests any time soon but it's something to remember if anything changes!