Gbba Entertainments Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Kiz7, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

GBBA ENTERTAINMENTS CONTEST RESULTS

SECTION D – UN-REGISTERED, YOUTH AND TRAINING BANDS (4 entries)

1st: Marshfield, P Cornford
    2nd: Lydbrook Training, R Morgan
    3rd: Usk Youth, J Jones
    BERRY HILL withdrew

SECTION C – FOURTH SECTION BANDS (4 entries)

1st: Cross Keys Silver, K Bowden, 181
    2nd: Bream Silver, H Cole, 180
    3rd: Pheonix Brass, D Watson, 179
    NAILSWORTH withdrew

SECTION B - SECOND AND FIRST SECTION BANDS (3 Entries)

1st: Newbridge (Celynen), P Holland
    2nd: RAF St Athans, A Bourne
    3rd: Pillowell Silver, J Glynn

SECTION A – FIRST AND CHAMPIONSHIP SECTION BANDS (4 entries)

1st: Lydbrook, S Sykes, 189
    2nd: Swindon Pegasus, J Winterflood, 188
    3rd: City of Bristol, B James, 185
    4th: Lydmet Lydney, T Cooper, 184

SPECIAL AWARDS

Most Entertaining Band of the Day: Lydbrook
    Youngest Player of the Day: Rhiannon Symonds, trombone, 8, Bream Silver
    Best Soloist of the Day: Flugel horn player, Newbridge (Celynen)

ADJUDICATOR: Mr Stan Lippeat

Rhiannon is my daughter and was making her contest debut today after playing for just over 4 months so I am a very proud Mum tonight. As she is too young to celebrate her first trophy I have made sure hat she was well represented in the pub and curry house!

Congratulations to all the winning bands and to all GBBA bands who took part. To those who didn't - where were you? The area is over a month away yet!

K

2. Steve

Steve Active Member

Thanks for the results Kiz7, a big well done to all the competitors and especially the winners. 2nd place in your first contest should be a great encouragement for young Rhiannon.

3. alks

alks Member

Well done all the bands! It was a good day.
    Its a pity we coudn't play on the main stage due to the air conditioning leek!?
    I think playing in front of the stage caused the sound to be a bit boomy!!

I didnt get to hear lybrook training performance as i coudnt get back in time afetr playing for marshfield. I think we were lucky as there were some shakey moments!

After the results i had a huge sunday roast and apple pie in the pub and later practically passed out in the trade stand area for for a few hours! Got a look at the new wilson cornets also but didnt like to have a blow in front of everyone!

its a pity that there wern't more bands there.

alks

4. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

This is always the case

Bill POulton does a great job of organising the contest but bands still don't attend what can be done to resolve this
    My thoughts would be to either find a good sponsor for the contest and offer some prize money

OPen the contest up to bands out of the area but with no prize money on offer they probably still won't come

Maybe change the venue I am forever hearing people comment about there being nothing to do before and after bands have played. Ideas please

on a different aspect of the contest

Why does it take approx 40 mins from the last band of 4 bands to then take away the adjudicators remarks and then return with the results.

It should be pretty easy to work out who has won when there is only one prize to begiven to the only Championship band and 1st 2nd and 3rd to the reaining 1st section band or was the result sorted out in the back room if you know what I mean

5. LilMissFlugel

LilMissFlugel Member

Well done to rhiannon!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

6. alks

alks Member

In section D it took 10 minutes after the last band to reveal the results.....not sure why the later sections took longer? Maybe more comprehensive remarks?

Not sure about changing the venue......a lot of bands are based in the area and its quick for them.....but a trek for the rest of us...including a £4.90 severn bridge fee!!. There is prize money for the winners at £100. (for the winners of each section.) Not sure where else you could hold it .....

alks

7. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

It certainly is Steve as she has got a nice big trophy to keep. It has been taken into school for show and tell today. Kind of reminds me what banding should be all about. I had got really stale after competiing for over 20 years so was delighted to be able to be there with her for debut.

I haven't played in the fourth section for about 15 years and was really impressed with te overall standard and some of the programmes played.

Bream played Gloucestershire Wassail
    Malaguena
    Misty (horn solo)
    Zulu
    The lone ar-ranger!
    What did everyone else play? Didn't hear all of the bands

8. postie

postie Member

Very good to see Lydney back contesting Dave who plays at Bestwood played their up to 2002 so always keeps an eye on how they are getting on.

9. alks

alks Member

Marshfield played (open section D)

1)Singing in the rain (suited the venue! being a leaky stage and all !!!)
    2)Ticket to ride
    3)For your eyes only (flugal solo)
    4)Green grow the brasses O'
    5)Breezin down broadway.

The adudicator was maoning ( in general) that there was not enough entertainment going on! and bandspersons should smile more and enjoy it!!

alks.

10. Cyndy

Cyndy Member

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    The Artist
    Coinstahjnbfdurrrarrry
    GingerMaestro
    West Mercia Rozzers
  12. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

It's good to be back, and back on the contest stage at that. So thanks Postie for the comment.

We played:
    - Mephistopheles
    - A Time For Peace (Horn solo taken from Essence of Time)
    - Czardas
    - The Irish Blessing
    - Batman The Movie
    - Be a Clown

Thoroughly enjoyed playing yesterday and the band are looking forward to the Regionals.

Give our regards to Dave.

Cheers

Neil

13. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

14. Bigenglandfan

Bigenglandfan Member

Where do the gbba hold this contest now???.... long while since I played in one.

15. alks

alks Member

Gloucestershire Brass Band Association Entertainment Contest, Royal Forest of Dean College, Forest Theatre, Five Acres, Coleford, GL16 7JT, 11am. Open to all bands. Sections: Championship & First, Second & Third, Fourth Section and a section for unregistered bands. 20 minute programme to include a solo. Information and entry forms from 01594-833899.

Theres also a march and testpiece contest in November.

Alks

16. postie

postie Member

No Probs Neil I will pass your best wishes on to him.

17. steve ruck

steve ruck New Member

:) TO ALL MEMBERS OF PILLOWELL BAND. GREAT RESULT SUNDAY GUYS. 2ND. PLACE AND BEATING A SECOND SECTION BAND IN THE PROCESS. SPECIAL THANKS TO JASON,GREAT WORK WITH THE BAND IN THREE HOURS,WHAT A STAR !!!!!:cool: ROLE ON THE THIRD SECTION REGIONAL.
    WELL SPOTTED CYNDY ON THE STUPID MISTAKE OF US BEING PUT THIRD. WE WERE SECOND..........AND WELL BEATEN BY NEWBRIDGE WHO SHOULD HAVE ENTERED THE TOP SECTION, THEY WOULD HAVE WON THAT 2 !!!!:clap:

18. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Steve - welcome to tMP! (or at least, welcome to posting on tMP, as I see you've been a member for a while)

One small thing - typing in all caps is like shouting - and some of us have sensitive ears!

You might want to read through the tMP Rules http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=56

(Note Rule 4c)

19. Cyndy

Cyndy Member

Hey Steve,

Your very first post,:biggrin: do as the man said be a good boy and no shouting,;-) good rehearsal tonight.
    See ya Sunday

20. I play in Cross Keys (winners of the 4th Section on Sunday). Really enjoyed the contest and the welcome we were given by everyone. Hopefully be back to defend our trophy next year as I think its excellent preperation for our areas in March and also a good experience for the younger players although I think there should be an award for the best soloist in each section (as with a lot of entertainment contests I've been involved in).

For the record our programme was :

A bridge too far
    Georgia on My mind (Cornet Solo)
    Boom Ching
    Hymn to the Fallen (from Saving Private Ryan)
    Zambezi
    The Abbey (3rd Movement from Margam Stones) for a bit of Welsh "Hwyl" ;)

I'm just hoping that a bit of Stan's Flugel magic rubbed off on me when I shook his hand getting the trophy !

21. Steve

Steve Active Member

Hi Dave, and a warm welcome to you from all at tMp. Why not pop over to the introduce yourself area and tell us all a bit about yourself.

Hope you have a fantastic time on the forum, happy posting.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    The Artist
    Coinstahjnbfdurrrarrry
    GingerMaestro
    West Mercia Rozzers