GBBA Entertainment Contest 2009

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by davethehorny, Nov 23, 2008.

1. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

The entry form for the Gloucestershire Brass Band Association Entertainment Contest taking place on Sunday 9th February 2009 is now available for download on the GBBA website by following the link -

The contest will be divided into two sections -

Section 1 - Open Section for Bands nationally graded Championship to 4th Section with a £100 cash award and trophy for the highest placed band of each section.

Section 2 - Un-registered and Youth Bands receiving Gold, Silver or Bronze Awards.

The contest is open to all bands - not just bands belonging to the GBBA.

Entry fee is - Section 1 - £50 for GBBA Members, or £60 for non members
    Section 2 - £30 (all bands)

The 2009 contest will be adjudicated by Richard Evans
  2. Colin Hogg

Colin Hogg Member

Sunday 8th I think?
    Corus (Port Talbot) will be going after many, many years away from contests.
    Looking forward to "crossing swords" with all my friends in the "Forest"
  3. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Will be great to see you there, Colin.

Bream will be there and looking forward to it :D.
  4. Lyndon Price

Lyndon Price Member

As will Blaenavon...cant wait...
  5. Taffy Euph

Taffy Euph Member

City of Bristol will be there, not sure about our training band..

6. Deano

Deano Member

Ynyshir will be there too.
  7. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Just found out that a couple of local bands can't compete as the contest was already full before the closing date (which is great news that it will be a full contest :clap:) - hope no one withdraws though as that would have denied one of those bands their place.
  8. Taffy Euph

Taffy Euph Member

Looks like we can’t go now, as we are busy auditioning for a prof conductor 4 the area, does not give us much time. 5 applicants so far !

9. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Does that mean that one of the other bands that missed out will be able to participate instead?
  10. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

who has missed out Neil? and which bands ARE going in which sections?
  11. Taffy Euph

Taffy Euph Member

No, because we had not entered..

12. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Ah right! My misunderstanding - sorry! I thought from your first post that you had entered.
  13. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

My understanding is that Lydney Training and Lydbrook Training have missed out + a couple of others.

Bream are going in the Third section.

Now that the bands are known - will be good if those competing are listed on the gbba website :D
  14. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Oh dear, that's not going to be too popular then.

It throws up another question (perhaps should be another thread?) which is should priority at Association contests be given to

a) returning bands - i.e. bands who competed at the competition the year before or
    b) association member bands or
    c) nobody - first come first served

If B) then the GBBA contest over the last few years would have fallen on it's knees as the contest has been predominantly made up of welsh bands (thanks all!) making the trip up the road, but bands are always being asked to support their association and this time round it looks like association bands will be unable to do so.

I really hope that there are no withdrawls................

Forest of Dean Area Youth Brass Band WILL be at the GBBA in the Youth/Unregistered section as will Flowers Youth so I believe.
  15. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Totally agree that the contest would have been on its knees without bands from further afar, and long may they keep on coming to the contest.

Not sure that Flowers Youth managed to get in either (but may be wrong there)
  16. weenie

weenie Member

No they didn't mange to get in Neil. Will still pop down for a listen though.
  17. MattEarl

MattEarl Member

Absolutely no chance of the Earls being there unless of course it is three of us!!!

Good luck to all those going!

18. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

The list of competing bands will be announced after the next meeting of the GBBA Executive (early January). I won't know the list of competing bands until then either. I only hope that all bands that have entered turn up, otherwise it will be disappointing for the bands that wanted to attend but entered too late/after the contest was full up.

A W Parker (Drybrook) Band will be playing though.
  19. Keith Lewis

Keith Lewis Member

Portishead missed out:(

Plan to do a concert using the pieces instead:)
  20. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

So thats 3 bands in section 2 who have missed out - Lydney Training, Lydbrook Training and Flowers Youth and 1 band in Section 1 - Portishead.

Was it not possible to accomodate more bands? If I remember correctly the contest didn't start last year till around midday. An earlier start could mean more entries (and therefore more income for the GBBA) and a better level of competition too. It's a great position for an association contest to be in!

Competing bands known so far are:

section 2 - Youth and unregistered bands
    Cinderford Academy, Clive Lewis
    Corus (Port Talbot), Colin Hogg - Colin, not sure if this in the right section?
    Forest of Dean Area Youth, Kristyann Symonds

Section 1 - open to all registered bands
    Blaenavon, Lyndon Price - 3rd Section
    Bream Silver, Huw Cole - 3rd Section
    Cinderford, Clive Lewis - 2nd section
    Drybrook, Kevin White - 3rd section
    Ynyshir, Dean A Evans - 3rd section