Gavin Pritchard signs for Tongwynlais Temperance Band

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by Naval Nick, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Naval Nick

Naval Nick Member

Tongwynlais Temperance Band is pleased to announce the appointment of Gavin Pritchard as Principal Percussionist. Gavin comes to the Band after a very successful past 9 years as Principal Percussionist of Yorkshire Building Society and more recently Grimethorpe Colliery (UK) Coal Bands, winning every major contest in the Brass Band Calendar. Gavin brings with him a wealth of experience from these bands and even from before this, during his time in Norway.

Speaking on behalf of the Band, Nick Wills said: “The Band is delighted to welcome Gavin at what looks like being a very exciting time for the Band with some major concerts already in the calendar as well as a CD recording or two. Also, after our early contest successes this year, the Band is also looking forward to competing at Pontins in November and Butlins in January 2008. It’s been 1 year now since the Band appointed Gareth Pritchard as ‘full-time’ Musical Director and it starting to feel like it’s all really beginning to gel now.”

This is a tremendous coupe for the Band and Musical Director, Gareth Pritchard says, “Having people in the Band with the experience and expertise of Gavin can only enhance the Band’s overall performance. He also brings with him top class attitude and application, which will for sure ‘rub-off’ onto everyone else. I’m really excited about this appointment and everything else that’s happening with the Band at the moment.”

Joining Tongwynlais after playing for YBS & Grimethorpe? Gavin replies with, “I see this as a new and exciting challenge in my musical life. The Band would seem to have a very bright future and I’m looking forward to being an integral part of that journey. There are some extremely good players in the Band and at my first contest with them at The Grand Shield, they played brilliantly and came away with a well deserved 4th Prize. It also gives me the opportunity to work with my Dad again. Apart from when he Guest Conducted both YBS and Grimethorpe, we have not worked together since winning the Norwegian Championships with Sandefjord Brass Symposium in 1998. In fact, Tongwynlais reminds me a lot of how Sandefjord was when we went there first.”

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2007
  2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Nice one - I certainly heard his contributions at the Spring Festival :biggrin:

3. sop 1

sop 1 Member

hopt it all goes well for u gav! :)

4. Captain Cymru

Captain Cymru Member

Good Luck to you all at Tongwynlais, Gavin is a great signing and clear show of intent. You really are the band on the up in Wales at the moment, I heard you at Swansea an IMO you was robbed of a podium finish. Looking forward to hearing you at Pontins!!

5. TopTrump

TopTrump Member

I do believe that you worked with your father on a certain BTM CD recording too!! :D

Anyway, it'll be good to see your talents being put to good use in a South Wales band - all the best with it Gavin.

6. Big Gav

Big Gav Member

Nice one. If any of the bass players want to know how to wind Gav up just let me know!! I have sat in front of him for years and I know that by nagging "wrong sticks" and "what was that?!" you can really wind him up!!

Seriously tho well done Gav. Not only is he an excellent percussionist (but don't tell him I said so!) but he's a top bloke too.

7. jim

jim Member

Totally agree with all said I have had the privledge of playing along side you gav aspecially when you pass over all the tunned parts lol!!

Ps was great hering from you the other day.