Game consoles -PS2 -X-Box-etc

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Despot, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Despot

Despot Member

I have to buy a games console PS2, X-Box etc. for a younger relation.

Which is the one to buy, I don't have the first clue about them!
  2. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Not sure which is better technically, but PS2 seems to have more games available in most shops.
  3. Don't buy any of them. Buy a good pc.... That's just my opinion :)
  4. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

OK, in all seriousness...

If they don't mind paying outlandish prices for what is sub-standard gaming, get an XBox. Definitely the better of the two. Superb games, and even the original releases surpass most PS2 games and can be bought for £20. And then there's the option of XBox Live!, a mutliplayer gaming network which is apparently the bees knees. It's fast emerging to be the PS2 beater.

But if it's quality of games you want, can I suggest a retro console? A Dreamcast or Saturn would be fantastic, games are as low as £3 each, and ooze playability out of their ears. Yes, there are more games for PS2 than for XBox, but games are £40 or so each, a HUGE rip-off in my opinion. But then again, so are PC games.

Shop around. Gamestation seem quite open and honest as to the quality (or lack of) of consoles and games, but I trust an independant family-owned games shop more than a chain. The bloke in the local one (A&B Games) actually tried to convince me NOT to buy a certain game once, saying, "It's rubbish, and I'd feel guilty selling it."

The best deals could well be on the web these days. Bit late for Chrimbo, though. :(
  5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

totaly agree with you there, you cant beet a pc, and you can do so much more with it
  6. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Since he's already on the net, I'd assume that despot has a PC already. If you want simple plug and play gaming for kids, go for a console
  7. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

I've just added an image to my signature for "Killer Gamers". You might want to try asking there? Nice friendly folks on a dedicated forum to Gaming and consoles etc!
  8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I'm with Fishsta on going for a retro console. I just got myself a Dreamcast for the princely sum of £22 with an extra fiver for the Visual Memory Unit. There are some cruddy games for it but the same can be said for XBOX and PS2. Places like Gamestation and The Computer Exchange normally have some titles in stock for Dreamcast and Saturn (and if you want to go really retro, Mega Drive, SNES, Master System and NES!) but don't bother going to the 'mainstream' stores like GAME as they are unlikely to stock retro stuff.

Still, I'm guessing Despot's younger relation is probably saying PS2 or XBOX. In which case, if he (or she) definitely wants one of those two, you may as well toss a coin. Pros and cons to both.

Having said that, if it's one of the more modern consoles, Gamecubes are now only £80 with a range of good games, BUT they don't play DVD or music CDs (whereas my £22 Dreamcast does!)

Good luck all the same!
  9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

p.s. Dreamcasts don't play DVDs. I meant to say that about music CDs only! Oops!
  10. deave

deave Member

Xbox is defo the way forward!! It is absolutely class and great linked up with other xboxs...also, they come with names.

Mine is called Caboose and my bandys name is Howard...two top fellas!!

11. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

Hmmm... my mate's is called "Spuddle"... :?
  12. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

At the moment X-box is definetly the way to go. PS-2 is looking aged and Sony have noticed this with a replacement due 3rd quarter 2004. Microsoft of course won't let this go unchallenged so expect an announcement from Redford soon regarding a replacement, they're apparently waiting on Sony finalising the spec for PSX (PS-3??).
  13. deave

deave Member

Xbox live rules !!!
  14. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

how long did that take u deavE? bit fancy for you!
  15. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Memory cards are very expensive for a PS2 and you can only save one game whereas with a Gamecube you can save up to four at one time I believe.

Having said that, my little boy has a PS2 which he loves as do all his mates.

Paul Drury
  16. deave

deave Member

Xbox has an absolutely massive memory, that u will never be able to fill and u can also save games on a memory card to take to ur bro's machine. It's truely sweet!!

Anyone fancy a game of Rainbow Six 3 on " live "

17. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

memory cards aren't that dear, and I've still not filled mine on PS2
  18. deave

deave Member

There's "no limit" on xbox....techno techno techno
  19. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Whilst still agreeing with Fishsta in going for a retro console, I did eventually buy an XBOX as well (though at 40 years and 9 months, I may be considered one of the 'older' gaming generation!). I'm not going to say PS2 is rubbish as I've never owned one, but XBOX does for me. Bulky and heavy it may be but you can pick one up 2nd hand and add a DVD attachment for around £100. On games like Project Gotham Racing 1 and 2, (which are basically 'upgrades' of a classic Dreamcast racer, Metropolis Street Racing) Links 2004, and many others no doubt, you can have your own music tracks playing in the background too.

As I said, it does for me, but in the end, you pays your money and you takes your choice, though sports (in particular; football) game fans should note that the previously Sony limited Pro Evolution Soccer series will be coming to XBOX later this year.
  20. pug_101

pug_101 Member

I'm a Xbox convert! I'd get both PS2 for Pro Evolution Soccer 3 and Xbox for everything else!!
    Rainbow 6 3 and Splintercell are wicked!!! :D :D :D