G8 - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by groovy, Jun 21, 2005.

1. groovy

groovy Active Member

This issue is far too close to home for me, as I live in Auchterarder, where Gleneagles is. I have ranted about the G8 all over the place (hopefully my article is going to be published on BBC online shortly) but wanted to know what you tMPers thought about it all. IMO it is a chance for 2005 to be a great year, a year where we literally "Make Poverty History". I would love to see this happen. However I don't see how sitting in a 5-star hotel in the lap of luxury is necessary for this. Obviously the leaders need to meet somewhere, but why here? Why not just put them on an unihabited island or something? The amount of media that I and the other residents here have to put up with makes me sick. We don't want to be filmed walking up the road! Leave us in peace please Mr Photographer! No, I don't want to be on the radio, thanks! :mad: Plus we have hundreds of polis everywhere, I can't imagine what it is going to be like next month.

Thoughts?

2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

They should stay in some hostel with 8 bunk beds per room and one toilet/bathroom for the three rooms!!!

It would probably cost the exact same as one room at the posh hotel they are staying at!!

(When I stayed at a Hostel in Chile it was about 23 quid for a room of 8 people)

3. postie

postie Member

Having read all the media in the last couple of weeks I thought the deals on debt relief had already been done. I think the G8 meeting seems to be a complete waste of time nothing more than a talking shop. I don't suppose the Americans are going to give any ground at all on global warming which is the big isssue of the lot. I really don't see the point of this meeting at all!!!!!!!!!!

4. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I really dont like the idea at all. I live at "The Meadows" in Edinburgh - the starting point for the protests and rallys, and work close by Murrayfield, where most of them end!

This poses problems - as I am the health and safety rep in my workplace, and there are real safety issues here with loads of different marches throughout the beginning of July, bringing hundreds of thousands of people to the city. Peaceful protests are fine, but there are certain groups who are heading towards Edinburgh with a point of causing trouble, the concerns are so great, that my workplace are in daily contact with the local police at the moment discussing different threats from different groups which are descending on the Capital.

Are there not more civilised ways of making yourself heard rather than grinding Scotlands capital to a halt? Hold the ****** G8 summit in Antartica or the ****** Sahara desert!!!

Sorry, I do feel rather strongly on the subject.

5. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

...And enough idiots in Embra who'll tag on to a peaceful protest to give themselves an excuse to start a flamin' riot....

Bob Geldof asked for a million to come to Edinburgh and protest, saying we can handle a million easily, we do it every year for the Festival. Well, we don't. Edinburgh's population allegedly approaches a million during the Festival, but many thousands of visitors are staying up to 40-50 miles away and commuting, and many locals just get the hell out. So we don't add a million to our 400,000, we roughly double our population (to less than a million) in an organised fashion.

Nothing wrong with protest, but, as Craig said, why should the entire city grind to a halt due to a meeting taking place miles away?

(Groovy, I feel for you and your neighbours, I really do...)

Why publicise the actual G8 meeting place at all? Why not say that the next meeting is in the UK, and then (quietly) book a hotel in Shetland, or take over an army base in Yorkshire, or hold the bl**dy thing in London? (Next to the nuclear power station and the massive experimental windfarm....:rolleyes: )

(Pub rumour tonight - the G8 menu is £100 a head. That's almost twice the UK weekly unemployment benefit. Let's end poverty....)

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Yeah you're right... a couple of days of inconvenience isn't worth it... the whole protest should be scrapped... who cares if the leaders of the G8 countries are put under pressure or not...

On the other point, I don't think the meeting should be in such lavish (sp?) surroundings, but they have the money, and they like to be comfortable. If it were up to me they'd spend the week living on less than a dollar a day to see how they like it...

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Having been in the middle of previous May Day protests that have been hijacked by extremist groups, it is a shame when this is able to detract from a genuine demonstration. Unfortunately, it doesn't take very many idiots to have a disproportionate effect - they then tend to get all the headlines and the vast majority of peaceful protestors become sidelined.

8. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Wasn't just Edinburgh. For some reason G8 came to Sheffield for a day. The tram network round the city centre was completely closed, presenting problems for ordinary people going about their normal business.

9. I know!! It was seriously annoying. I was on the tram and it just turned around without warning leaving me stranded in some dodgy area of sheffield!
    All these police are driving everyone mad and why do they have to spend all this money on posh hotels when the reason they're meeting is supposed to be to come to some sort of decision on world poverty.

10. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

There are at this moment in time about 200 buses and several thousand people milling about outside my flat :-? Tell you... twas interesting trying to cycle home from work.... :-?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    BBC
    Make Poverty History
    G8
    Auchterarder
    Gleneagles
  12. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I heard some of it on the radio (no telly in Devon where I was)...REM sounded weak (like a bad remake)...U2 was good...how was everybody else?!

13. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

I agree we should make poverty history but it really irks me when these people protest about it happening in Africa and the Third World when there is poverty and homelessness in this country too! Surely we should sort our own country out before preaching to others about how to improve their lot? How many pensioners live in poverty? How many homeless people are there in this country who need help? How many children and babies die in this country from malnutrition and abuse? OK, it might not be in the scale it is in Africa buit these people still need help and I just feel that these protesters sometimes lose sight of whats happening in their own country.

How many in the general public will support them when they cause so much disruption to normal life anyway? All they do when I see them on TV is wind me up!! Yes it is a good cause but I feel there is a better way of dealing with it.

And dont even start me on Live 8!!!! Grrrr!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

Sorry, rant over!! :biggrin:

14. 3 bent valves

3 bent valves New Member

You miserable self-centred bunch. Read the statistics: Every single day, 30,000 children are dying as a result of extreme poverty.

This generation has the opportunity to change this statistic!

15. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Yes we should make poverty history, in an age where you can fire a cruise missile through someones letterbox, there is no excuse for anyone in the world to go hungry, die of curable diseases etc, etc. But pop stars standing on stage trying to show everyone how in touch with the world they are and 100s of thousands marching around cities disrupting normal life will not change a thing!

If these people really want to help they should go over to Africa and work over there. The G8 will not change anything because World Leaders are only paying lip service to
    the protesers. Can you really see GW Bush cancelling 3rd World debt? He wont even adhere to the Kyoto treaty!

The protesers may feel they are changing the world but if you disprupt normal life for normal hard working people all you do is cause resentment. The problem in Africa is the corupt Governments and regimes which run the countries. There is such potential in Africa for these countries to be rich but if you dont do something about the politicians embezzaling all the money, nothing will ever change and there will be Band Aid/Live 8 concerts raising money every year just to line the pockets of these people.

16. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Yep, I think Sharpy's right. Mind you, Cruise missile, Mugabe, Letterbox! That sounds like a plan that could help some. :)

17. groovy

groovy Active Member

Live8 seemed a bit pointless to me because it wasn't raising any money, it was just "awareness raising", however I'm sure many of the 1.5 million that went to the Philadelphia gig didn't know what it was in aid of! Plus, it must have cost a fortune to put on with the huge stage etc, why not just give the money to Africa? At the end of the day, the leaders are not going to change their minds about debt relief simply because a bunch of pop stars strutted about on stage for a while! I would have been all for it if it had been money raising but it did seem a bit pointless to me.

18. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Yes but so does the next generation and the next and the next. Thats the problem, everyone leaves it to someone else. The problem will never be solved completely, if this meeting makes any breakthrough, some dumbass leader in Africa will only end up upping the tax or starting a war, or the Western world will start exploitation all over again. One step forward, two steps back. Don't get me wrong, its a great idea in theory. But maybe thats all it is.

19. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Just thought I'd mention... according to yesterdays paper, the Live8 gigs cost a total of £25 million pounds. Plus, think of all the policing costs and other costs not added into this. I'm all for the idea in principle, but was this really the best way?

20. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

If every one of the artist gave £500k, it would be more productive...

21. groovy

groovy Active Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4649719.stm
    I got published, yay!

The policing level here for the G8 has gone crackers, in the space of around 30mins I saw 18 armoured police vans, 15 bobbies on the beat, 3 motorbikes and a couple of cars for good measure. Thats not to mention any number of unmarked cars! It's nuts! The funniest part is that there was only one protester's tent pitched in the park.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    BBC
    Make Poverty History
    G8
    Auchterarder
    Gleneagles