G.F. Händel - 250th Anniversary Celebration!

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by brassneck, Jun 26, 2009.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

George Friderich Händel's anniversary of his death in 1759 has been a little mute on the airwaves this year. Not heard much about bands playing his music either! To celebrate my official 10,000th post (this one!), I have decided to release the score & parts of my arrangement of his final movement from his Organ Concerto in F (No. 13) which is better known as "The Cuckoo & The Nightingale". I recently shipped this pdf file to New Zealand on request of a band that wants to perform it there. The file is hosted on YouSendIt and will be available for 7 days from this date. If you want to listen to the original version, I suggest that you use Spotify to compare (search under 'Handel organ concerto 13' to find). The piece lasts about 3 1/2 minutes.

Allegro from Organ Concerto No.13 in F Major (The Cuckoo & The Nightingale) [download link]

Scorch (Sibelius Music) File of above (better to play the mp3 and scroll through the score).

Hopefully some bands have a use for this.

p.s., with Michael Jackson dying yesterday, I have a score that can be bought here (... Alan Fernie took this arrangement to Switzerland with him a couple of years back!).

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Oh, if you want to hear what the Michael Jackson arrangement sounds like, the best I can offer is the mp3 version of my MIDI file (encoded at 128bits) available for download here. I have a recording of the first released version by a band but I haven't asked permission to use it publicly.

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I may as well plug another arrangement of mine that was premiered by James Gourlay in Glasgow a couple of years back ... this is Michel Colombier's Dreamland, which was originally an electric bass solo for Jaco Pastorius. I was given exclusive permission to modify the original score to fit the needs of band use.

This time, I will release the solo part and MIDI mp3 so you can get an idea what it's all about. Those of you who know Emmanuel (sop solo) will get the drift!

EEb Tuba Solo - Dreamland (Michel Colombier) (... just under 4 mB)

You can hear the original recording from one of my all time favourite fusion albums here.

4. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

:clap::clap: Bet you never thought your 10,001st post would contain mention of Michael Jackson.

Happy 10000th!!!!

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Thanks, Di! Shame about the timing though ... but the publisher may not be happy about me not using the opportunity ... :oops:

6. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Well am sure his record company won't mind seeing as amazon are selling out of all his back catalogue.......

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I was working on another ditty from his collection and by coincidence, he was in court at the time ... possibly bad timing given the title of the song! :rolleyes:

8. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Ooooooooh! Is it a new ditty? Or does it have prior regular usage? ;)

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

My arrangement is being played on ITV at the moment! The other ditty was penned in 2004 so I now realise! (I expect it will be featured on this tribute programme)

10. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

I'm actively dodging all forms of suck-up tribute tv. Its like the whole amazon frenzy buying thing, if he wasn't good enough to be in people's cd collection when he was alive then why panic buy now...... its not like they'll become instant collectors items. and just watch the prices fly!!!!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Organ Concerto in F
    G.F.
    The Cuckoo & The Nightingale
    George Friderich Händel
    Alan Fernie
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

CDs? I bought Thriller when it was sold as vinyl, lol!

13. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

So did I, brassneck and a couple of others, too!

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I didn't buy many though! Whenever I was tempted to buy "Off The Wall", I kept on delaying until the CD version was on sale. I thought Stevie Wonder was more interesting around that time! (... oh, and a heavy dollop of Level 42 too!)

15. brassbandmaestro

Oh no, didn;t like Level!! Your right about Stevie Wonder though. We have Sir Duke at band, have you?

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I should have also added that I was a keen follower of Prince from his early days and Michael Jackson's music was too commercial in comparison. Sir Duke is a great number, but I have not heard the band arrangement (I think). Level 42 were quite innovative for a UK fusion band in their early days, even if they drew from the likes of Stanley Clarke and Brand X. Fantastic in concert too.

17. brassbandmaestro

Brand X, wasn't that PC's band?

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Aye, he played drums with them.

19. brassbandmaestro

Yes ofcourse. I have the cd that he made with all these first class musicians, entitled One Hot Night. From Paris too. Havn't played it for sometime.

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Nah ... you're thinking of the big band PC put together to play his solo numbers. Brand X were quite daring in their approach to music. Playing samples on Youtube but difficult to decide on which one to choose.

21. brassbandmaestro

I need to get round to upgrading the flash player, as i cant get youtube samples at the moment. Yes I was meaning that group.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Organ Concerto in F
    G.F.
    The Cuckoo & The Nightingale
    George Friderich Händel
    Alan Fernie