G Bass Trombone

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by fingers phil, Feb 9, 2011.

1. fingers phil

fingers phil New Member

I have just bought an old G bass trombone primarily to have a bit of fun with. Unfortunately, the handle is missing..so just wondering if by any chance anyone has one or knows where I might be able to get one.
  2. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

You could try 'First Brass'.
    I picked up a lyre for a G Bass Trombone.
    They may have some other bits.
    Worth a try!
  3. I broke the handle for my G bone years ago but being a little on the tall side with long arms i can play it fine without. Good luck wiht your search.
  4. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Not the tradition model but might work here.
  5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Does it pivot about the slide brace? I've seen one that looks very similar to that link before that didn't - made it useless, as it pushed into the face in 1st position!

There was more than one design of linkage (e.g. Besson had a dual interlocking link thing), so be cautious if you simply buy one from another old G to fit it - might need to be from the same manufacturer. Probably your best bet is to find a friend with some handy skills to fabricate one, or, failing that, to buy a second G trombone, with a working handle this time...

T:eek:hank god you only need a handle for it.....I thought that we were all going to have another heated debate on the superior sound of the G .
  7. MoominDave

We don't need to debate that - the superior sound of the G is clear and obvious! ;-) Can't beat a bit of rattle and rasp...
  8. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Fond recollections of Derek Roebuck at B&R - what a fine exponent of this magnificent beast !

- Mr Wilx
  9. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

A screwdriver, was the repair of choice back in the day!
  10. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

11. Brass_Head

Brass_Head New Member

I bought one a few years ago for £20, complete with a Rangefinder mouthpiece. Still too scared to open the case!
  12. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Care to sell it onto someone who isn't? ;-)
  13. MoominDave

I'll sell you one if you like, Rob.... Got a 1972 B&H in close to mint condition that I never use.
  14. John_D

John_D Member

I think we've got a couple in a cupboard at the bandroom that we are getting rid of.
  15. Robhibberd29

16. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Buy Dave's! I need room for all my instruments! ;)
  17. Robhibberd29

I am trying before I am buying he he
  18. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

well come down for a visit/parp?

You are right Ian....not many players have ever sounded like Derek on G Trom !Good news is,he s 81 now and still rasping....trouble is most of the rasping does not come from the trombone these days !:clap:
  20. MoominDave

Is he still playing the G with a band at all, Stuart?