Furious Bloke

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by B'aht a band, Nov 16, 2005.

1. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

Just wondered how many of you bandy-dudes take the role of chairman? My father was chairman of UCYBB for 10 years, putting in a lot of time (and money... well over £2k, just so the band can keep going). However, he finished earlier this year, when I relocated to Belfast (he had no need to be there as much), yet he still did not get so much as a thank-you from the current commitee, after everything he has done for the band. My point is, he built up a helluva lot of contacts through his sojourn with the band, and now he is stuck with what to do with all these contacts....should he give them to my brother-in-law's band, or just turn round and say "stuff it!!"

The thing is, my previous band need the money, but I am in agreement with my father, in that, he doesn't care what happens to them now, they treated him like some kind of sacrificial lamb.

I am interested to see how you people, my online chums, would deal with such a situation....

Andy

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    bandy-dudes
    chairman
    role
    many
    UCYBB
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think he should just do what ever feels good and makes him feel appreciated.

4. brass journo

brass journo Member

As the Band Manager of the aforementioned band in this thread I acknowledge B'aht a Band's comments.

However, please feel free to discuss the general point of this thread amongst Tmpers, but I would request that the particualar and private issues and runnings of any band remain private.

Tabby Clegg
    Band Manager

5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Presumably there will have been a very good reason why B'aht a Band's father became Chairman and stuck at it for so long - right man for the job, able to deal with all those little banding problems and band politics etc - it is envariably a thankless job (speaking from experience here).

Best option is to continue to behave as he always has and not to react to any actual or perceived slight - that way he can maintain the moral high ground.

Comment based purely on original post and with absolutely no personal knowledge of the circumstances.

6. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

In the 23 years I've been associated with the NCB, I've only been on the board (the SA variety of a committee) for three. I find that being on the board has a tendency to sap my enthusiasm - it's difficult to separate discussions and disagreements in the board from the business of actually making music.

That said, I serve on the board because others in the band think that I contribute to the committee in a significant way, and that the band is better off with me on than off (I resigned my board position at the end of last season, and then, apparently because several members of the band questioned why I was not on the board, the MD decided that "webmaster" was now a committee post, so I'm back again).

I don't expect any reward or consideration for my service, and therefore am not ever surprised or disappointed when it is not acknowledged.

7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'm afraid those roles within organisations such as brass bands tend to be thankless tasks. Some bands give the recognition the position deserves, others don't...guess you just have to get lucky with the organisation you get involved in.

8. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

I agree with this entirely

I would also extend this to the players who also contribute so much to their particular band and are in some cases treated rather shabbily.

Rather short sighted in my view

Ian

9. andyp

andyp Active Member

People who "do" very rarely get the appreciation they deserve. Most of them would get embarrassed with constant thanks anyway, that's generally the kind of people they are. However a little thanks now and then goes a long way.
    In any voluntary organisation (football club, whatever) there are many thankless tasks that need doing. The problem is generally finding enough "doers" to do them. Finding people who constantly say "That needs doing" is very easy, most committees are full of them!
    Take time to say thanks to your "doers" now and then. It doesn't cost anything!

10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

It's hard (and a bit unfair) to comment on this particular instance without knowing all the facts but in general I think everybody would acknowledge that most of us in any given band (and in fact the movement as a whole) are happy to talk about what should be done and only about 5% of us actually do the work. I'm sure the Chairman in question didn't take the post on in the first place thinking that he would receive a rousing chorus of thanks on a regular basis but equally those of us who depend on the 5% should probably appreciate them more. It's a sad fact of banding life that nobody gives a monkey's what the committee does until you disagree with it...

11. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

Thanks for all your comments and all-in-all, I pretty much agree with everything written. I shouldn't have mentioned the band by name, and for that I apologise.

Andy, munching humble pie

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    bandy-dudes
    chairman
    role
    many
    UCYBB
  13. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Aye its a tough old job in the "Hot Seat" I am just starting my third year as Chairman having kept well clear of this type of official posting for 15 years, but guilt finally got the better of me and I felt it was time for me to shoulder the burden.

I was under no illusions what ever going in to the job having previously run a youth Jazz Orchestra and various jazz groups involving professional players. Of course the rules are totally different with a volantary amatuer organisation compared with proffessional players, but I am still amazed at what seems to be acceptable in the brass band world. Such as simply not turning up for a rehearsal with no explanation, or even worse, not turning up for gig.

Out in the real world of course those people would rapidly find themsleves unemployed, but in "brass band land" you just swan in to the next rehearsal as if nothing has happened, and of course there is very little the poor old chairman can do about it because the errant individual concerned when challeneged will most likely flounce out of the band room never to be seen again.

I am quite lucky at old Barnstonworth, as my efforts on behalf of the band have been warmly appreciated, and it is VERY important for all bands to make sure that those who volanteer for the dirty work get some positive feed back from the rank and file occasionally.

Believe me it really helps.