Funny things to do with a horn mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by imthemaddude, Jan 24, 2007.

1. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Was in a bit of a rush for school this morning. I had taken too long to straighten my hair, then had to set the alarm twice because it took me too long to get out of the house first time round and the alarm went off. Then went through my garage and couldn't get out the other end because I had parked too close. As it's a new house and I shouldn't walk on the grass yet, I ran over it and through the gate. Only to get to the car with a box of books and find it frozen over. I looked for my de-icer or scraper and neither were there so in horror and late for school I didn't know what to do. In the end the only thing I could use was the horn mouthpiece I keep on my dashboard to practice with now and again in a traffic jam. It worked a treat .... only it did scratch my windscreen a little. Anyone else got strange uses for a mouthpiece or even had to call on one in times of trouble like me?!
  2. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

Just wondering if anybody has ever been stopped for mouthpiece "buzzing" in the car (as I do it myself). Will it be 3 points for that now as well?
  3. timbloke

timbloke Member

I sit on site in my little cabin and always have my plastic mp on me to buzz. I've even been known to walk around site buzzing, get some strange looks from the truck drivers.

Aparently one bloke named a website after his? :eek: Crazy :tongue:
  4. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Wonder who that might be?
  5. premacyblue

premacyblue Member

I once used my BBb Bass mouthpiece as a funnel to fill up one of the elder bandpersons hip flask. Luckily I had cleaned it before using it for band practice!!!
  6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I once played with a German band on an exchange visit and they had a neat little trick for drinking Schnapps: Hold mouthpiece with the large end upwards, place little finger over the leadpipe end and Hey Presto! A drinking vessel! It would be obvious to say that the Tuba players got more to drink, but it was no coincidence that the trumpet players looked after the bottle!

As far as ice-scrapers are concerned, I find that my Musicians' Union card is perfect. Can't think of any other reason to have it.....
  7. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

funny things to do with a horn mouthpiece?
    Play horn with it?
  8. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

french or tenor....

or indeed the good old alpine horn....
  9. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Nick them off the horn section and throw them away.....!!

(I'll run and hide now!)
  10. Hells Bones

mouthpieces are good for silencing annoying people, the bigget the mouthpiece the easier it is
  11. BrianT

BrianT Member

No toolkit is complete without a stiletto, a butter knife and a horn mouthpiece.

I seem to remember my dad telling me that when the shed in our back garden was being put up, he had to lend his own tools, otherwise the chap would have banged the screws in with a pair of pliers...
  12. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

so...erm...presumably your dad lent this bloke his horn mouthpiece to use instead of the pliers then eh? :confused: :rolleyes: I'm sure he would have been better lending him a screw driver or something.
  13. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

A horn mouthpiece doesn't really have the mass to make a good hammer. For that, you really need at least a euph mouthpiece, or a tuba mouthpiece if you can get one.
  14. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member really don't want to be banging screws in anyway, that's what they make nails for...;)
  15. bandcampgal

bandcampgal Member

i don't know if anyone else does this but before marches and freezing cold JJB stadium jobs :mad: i keep my horn mouthpiece down my shirt 2 warm it up :D makes you jump at first but is very effective! obviously need 2 b female (or a man in a bra) 2 attempt this!!
  16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Yes, but we men have pockets that seem to do the job perfectly well ;)
  17. Hells Bones

Also, it could be an effective pulling technique

"Excuse me, my mouthpiece is stuck and my hands are full, can you get it for me?" :tongue:
  18. ssmith

ssmith New Member

Duncan I think you should stick to using it to carry on making fantstic sounds on your trombone. You were fantastic at Butlins even if playing second fiddle to equally fantastic Mr Jeans, a quality tombone section which definately gave the band a lift. See you around mate.
  19. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Perfect for filling pepper grinders.
    It can be used as an effective, emergency self-defense weapon, either clenched in a fist, thrown, or swung in a football sock.
  20. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I think my dad breeds them. He's been playing for 30 years (2nd time round) and has slowly drifted down the band from cornet to Bb Bass. The instruments have long gone but somehow he manages to retain the mouthpieces. He keeps whole families of them on the bookshelf above the piano, sometimes moving them around so they get a better view of the living room.
    Speaking of mouthpieces, does anyone know anything further about the horn mouthpieces that were supposedly coming from Kelly Mouthpieces about 2 years ago? Still can't find em on the website.