Funny things happen when you read ads

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by EIBB_Ray, Mar 4, 2005.

1. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

I don't know where all the banner ads come from, I see the ads by google reference and I assume they resell ads to various sites or some such arrangement...anyway I say this one at the bottom while reading a random OT thread and it caught my eye because it said "Wedding Photography in Iowa." It was for a photographer in Iowa and Nebraska. Now, as far as I know, I'm the only subscriber here from Iowa (and quite possibly Nebraska as well) so I bet she's thrilled to know she has reached me (already married btw) along with a few thousand who are mostly in Britain.

2. rutty

rutty Active Member

Clever ads eh? It's fairly easy for the script showing the ads to take a reverse DNS of your IP address - this way they can tell roughly where you are in the world and can target advertising at the local level as well as relevance to the subject material on the page.

It's nothing to be overly worried about ;)

3. rutty

rutty Active Member

Just noticed Ray - we have the same signature! Now that's spooky......

4. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

I had forgotten about that signature, I put it on whiel the old site was up. For some reason I'm not seeing any signatures, I must have that turned off somewhere.

I wasn't overly concerned about photographers stalking me or anything. So are you saying that only I am seeing that ad, someone else sees another base on their locale?

5. rutty

rutty Active Member

Yes, the ads will be tailored on a per-user basis. It makes sense to intelligently target these things if you can - not that I can see them at all considering that I'm using Firefox with the Adblock extension ;)