Funny Band story: on our Chicago trip from March 19-23, 08.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ryan06, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

Well, I just got back late last night from touring Chicago & Rockford with the Salvation Army brass band I play in, it was a great time! including this story that happened.

On our way to Chicago, the flight attendants were handing out blankets to everyone and one of the ladies in the band took a blanket from the flight attendant. (I'll use the name 'Barb' for the lady to protect her since its not her real name) At the end of the flight, the flight attendants were coming around to collect the blankets, garbage, newspapers,etc.. but Barb told us all that 'she'll keep the blanket and give it back on the way home from Chicago.'

Well, we have a former Police officer that plays in the band and he knows many police officers in Chicago and during our last concert on Saturday night..right in the middle of the concert this Police officer walks into the room we were playing in, stops the concert and mentions for Barb to walk over to him. He arressted her on the spot for stealing a blanket on the plane. (Of course the rest of the band knew that this was going on but everyone else in the audience had no idea and thought this was for real, including Barb!) Barb was freaked totally out of her mind and was so scared to go, they took her to the police station and the former police officer was down at the police station waiting for them. Barb and the Chicago police officer got to the station, and our police officer met them and told her that this whole even that happened to her was one big joke!

she was so relieved to hear that and so embarrassed as well! (you should have seen her when she came back to the group after the concert when we went out to eat) Of course everyone was laughing their heads off as the whole band was planning this little prank..It's great to have a former police officer in the band! ;) Good on Barb though for going along with it and having a great laugh with the band afterwards. I think this story is going to last a LONG time with the band!

just thought I'd share what happened on our trip. There's alot of great stories that happened on the trip but this one definately beat all of them.

2. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I like to think I have a sense of humour, but this just leaves me cold :(

3. x..Emma..x

x..Emma..x Member

Yeah, usually i see the funny side of things, but thats a bit mean..
    What about the whole audience that thought she really was arrested?
    Doesnt it give the band a bad name over there too?

4. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

To me there is the funny side of it and yes I would think that the band's rep would be in doubt now. Although it was a joke, the members of the audience should have been told in advance, or something.

5. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

Yes indeed we told the audience it was all a joke about 15 minutes after she left, so they knew afterwards. Told them the story about what happened on the plane and everything.

6. The Wherryman

Well that's alright then, isn't it.

Speaking as a former police officer myself, just about the most serious action I could take against anyone was to arrest them and take away their liberty.

I find it appalling that anyone, let alone Salvationists, would find it a joking matter to treat another band member in such a disgraceful manner.

By posting this sorry tale you have done no service to your band, the Salvation Army nor the Police Service. Shame on you.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I tend to agree with the above, and I'm certain that neither the serving or former police officers in our band would have considered getting involved in such antics.

There is place for humour in concerts, and we have had players given yellow cards and red cards in our Last Night of the Proms, so they can re-enter when the cadenza comes round, but this seems most inappropriate.

8. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I believe that this was a potential great gag taken way over the top. I think it would have been funny had the "culprit" been made aware that it was all a joke in front of the audience. Waiting to fill the audience in on the rest of the story was in questionable taste (what did the audience think during the intervening 15 mins?); and, in my opinion, actually taking the unfortunate party to the police station was poor judgement.

Sorry, but I have to agree with the majority on this one; a good idea was allowed to spin out of control.

9. Mephi

Mephi Member

Must admit some of the pranks that I've seen in my banding experience would be unprintable on this forum and would never think of broadcasting them either, those involved knew in this case and the victims didn't need it publicising!
    This was a sad attempt at a prank, wasting police time, upsetting a player during a concert (something that may stay with her - ok she got over it but would you like this done to you on stage?) and bad rep for the band and The SA. Can't imagine what the audience must have thought about this later on!

Can I just say that censorship of certain things on this forum can be good and bad (no accusations intended). Foul language and the eventual bickering that can come from hightened tensions is understandable at this time of year. Can we have a censor of just plain idiotic things like this thread (it has taken five attempts at ignoring this before curiosity bettered me), that really do bring shame on the public image of our movement (especially from the SA!)?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  10. Steveo

Steveo New Member

Salvation Army, eh?
    God moves in mysterious ways; indeed he must do.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Chicago
    Funny Band
    Barb
    Chicago police officer
    Band story
  12. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

It's fair to say some of us take our SA service a tiny bit more seriously.........

13. The Wherryman

If we goes down this route, this thread will simply turn into a God/SA/Canada/USA/Police/BrassBand bashing free-for-all. I don't think we want that, do we?

14. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

Yes why not? we can leave out God and the SA out of it, but all the others are fair game, I bet the person who started this thread wishes the ground would swallow them up!.
    The person who was the victim, what happened to her mates, that she was allowed to go through, which must have been a distressing time, I'm all for a laugh but that prank takes the biscuit, I suppose the humour over there is different to ours exept our police where involved. Whoever thought that one out should have been locked up for the duration, then let out after everyone had boaded the plane home.

15. Steveo

Steveo New Member

Why leave the Salvation Army out of it?
    I love Salvation Army bashing. I don't think that, other than Eric Ball, it has ever added anything to quality brass band music.

16. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Nobody can stop you from having that opinion. But if you want to start a discussion about it, I don't think it belongs in this particular topic.
    Of course you're free to start a new thread.

17. T Winch

T Winch Member

I know this is taking the tread a little off topic and I apologise but I couldn't allow this crass comment go by without commenting on it.

Peter Graham
    Kenneth Downie
    Leslie Condon
    Wilfred Heaton
    Ray Steadmen-Allen
    James Curnow
    Erik Leidzen
    William Himes
    Edward Gregson

Just a few names off the top of my head who have made an invaluable contribution to both SA and secular brass band music. Add to that list the present day composers and arrangers who were inspired by the likes of Erc Ball. How many people are thrilled by the current compositions of Paul Lovatt-Cooper? And don't get me started on the amount of top contesting players who started in the Salvation Army!

Go away and listen to a recording of Dean Goffin's Light of the World (try YBS Essays Vol.1) and come back and tell me that the Salvation Army has never added anything to quality brass band music.

OK. Rant over. Back on topic guys. I didn't think the prank was very funny either.

18. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

:clap:

19. weemarky

weemarky Member

I think some people need to lighten up!

Im sure those involved would have known the lady in question would have taken this in the good humour it was intended and from the story that was the case. Therefore i see absolutely no problem in a prank as long as its not taken too seriously.

I am a very light-hearted guy and if this had happened to me, after I'd have calmed down and stopped excreting in my trousers!!!! I would've applauded my mates on what was a cracking prank!

At the end of the day, no-one was hurt, no-one went in the huff and no-one has lost any friends because of it. What is the problem????

20. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

The problem I have, is that , I do feel that they should've told the audience beforehands, as opposed after. The rep of the band is in doubt here, I think.