Funniest review...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Australian Euphonium, May 18, 2004.

1. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Did you notice the 'worlds greatest euphonium player' hmm! Bet poor David Childs will be crying into his beer tonight :wink: :lol:

How about the review that appeared in a well know brass band magazine recently complimenting the 'co's principal trombone player's rendition of Bolivar. Exceptional to get a review like that especially as he didn't even play it. Superb! :wink:
  2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle Member

did any of that actually make sense?! :?: :!:
  3. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

It looks like it has been directly translated from Italian to English.
  4. I think it meant well... and steven is probably the only euphonium player the Italians have ever heard. I don't think they knew quite how to describe the trademark mead sound effects in a cohesive manner!!
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Whilst it is fair to say that the euphonium is a relative newcomer in Italy, anyone who heard the Italian band in Glasgow will I'm sure agree that their end man was most impressive, with quite a fearsome part to negotiate in "Phaeton" :wink:
  6. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

I read it, loved it and enjoyed it 'with wittiness', as the reviewer would say........
  7. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Possibly. But didn't Ponchielli write a concerto for 'flicorno basso', generally interpreted as being a euphonium? I think he was Italian, so one presumes he must have known what a euphonium was!
  8. Steve

Steve Active Member

Basic translation appears to be......Steven Mead played very well :wink:
  9. I dunno, I thought it was bass saxhorn or something - pfffttt, well I think he's probably the first euphonium soloist this particular reviewer has been exposed to - certainly in the world of multiphonics and SFX
  10. I gave up reading it half way through the 2nd paragraph - too much concentration needed|!