Funniest 'banding' moment

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bagpuss, Jun 13, 2003.

1. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Ok, I feel fairly certain that this topic will have been done before but there are sooooo many pages of topics to go through, I'm afraid I couldn't be bothered to find out.

So here's the thing, your funniest 'banding' moment or moments. I don't necessarily mean while you were actually playing with the band, but while you were with the band say for example hanging around for a contest or before/after a concert, that sort of thing.

One of the funniest things I ever saw was a group of rather portly gentlemen (that was polite wasn't it??) from the band I was playing for at the time deciding to do laps of a 400m running track at Colwyn Bay leisure centre a few years back after a contest there. They had all had several beers each and were racing each other. One of the cornet players approached one of the bass players from behind and pushed him. Bass player fell over, splattered the fag he was smoking at the time......oh yeah, and bust his arm!!!! What a nice thing to happen on a contest day!! I have also sung full four part harmony to the rude version of 'She'll be coming round the mountain' at about 1am in Torquay, whilst very drunk, and made up new verses too!!!!!

Much mirth and merriment

Puss Puss

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Puss Puss
    banding
    bass players
    sort of thing
    nice thing
  3. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

When Wardle Won At Rhyl i think it was or tameside, they held up the Glass plack and they shuck it and it fell out and smashed that was soooo funny!!!,

Or when I hid in the bass drum boox to the kit and jumped out when everyone had gone looking for me the Md was not impressed the rest of band was laughin thou!!!

Theres way to many moments!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Despot

Despot Member

Many years ago when I was a wee lad, my band was invited to a band parade in a neighbouring town. THe plan was all the bands would set off, a few minutes apart, from the oukskirts and march as far as the town park for a massed band recital. Because the streets were narrow and windy each band was unable to see the band in front of it went. We set off about 5th or 6th.

Now the bandmaster of the time was a very proud man, type of guy who wouldn't be told anything, so when we came to a junction, and he was told "No, turn left" by one of the younger lads, his curt reply was "I know where I'm going", called for a march and proceeded to lead the band straight up the road.

He didn't release (and to be fair neither did many of the other older members) that the town had recently introduced a new one way system. As the parade was to take the other road, the police didn't block this very narrow and busy road to traffic. However when he realised what was happening, rather than a quick about face, the bandmaster stiffened his back, and strode purposefully....into the oncoming traffic!

Car horns blared, wing mirrors were crushed, parts went flying and the locals stopped everthing to stand and stare with jaws dropped at this band forcing itself up the wrong way of a one way system, playing away all the time. Thankfully the one way didn't last for too long and we eventually made it back to two way traffic, and we made it to the park well before the leading band arrived. The expression on the faces of the first band when they saw us there, waiting, was priceless! :lol: :lol:

The bandmaster never spoke about that day, ever again!
    ....Happy days... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

ah you forgot the classic Clonakilty ones of a certain member throwing up on a bus, within 20 metres of the bus reaching the contest hall - and the sudden braking manouever which catapulted the poor girl looking out the back window over 4 or 5 seats.
    Call us evil, but we still crack up when we remember her expression.

And my personal favourite, the "playing in the estates" episode, when the percussionist almost went flying out of the back of a van when the door sprang open during a tight corner-taking manouever. Luckily no equipment was damaged (and he was unhurt) but there was a brief zero-G moment when his legs were trailing behind the van as he desperately held on to the door with his fingertips..

:D

6. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

There have been simply sooo many that I can't even recall any here however, a party with band memebers at our house, where Rog gave a new meaning to the word sausage and then went to be sick in my back yard must be up there with the best.

7. blondie

blondie Member

Ahhh, but do you also remember Puss that night in Torquay......

We were coming back from the centre of Torquay a little worse for wear, due to red bull and vodka being 2 for 1 or something simiar, and whilst we doing our four-part harmony (to the great amusement of the locals and holiday makers) we decided that it had been a little while since we'd eaten and we stumbled upon a takeaway just about to shut and went in.

(Now it is important to say at this point that you will hear two conflicting sides to this story but I AM RIGHT!!!!!!!!)

I ordered a cheeseburger with relish as you do, and BigTwigge (Caroline) ordered a hamburger, and others had chips and stuff.

We waited, I took ownership of my burger and caroline hers. Then she pipes up that instead she ordered a cheeseburger (FALSE), we have a minor drunken disagreement about this outside the fast food emporium, and BigTwigge announces to the whole of Torquay....."Adam I want your Cheese......"

Very amusing, we all thought, this would have been fine on its own, but earlier she had got annoyed with Twigglet and proceeded to push her with some force into a hedge along the promenade, also through drinking.
    Moral of the story. Don't let her drink!!!!!!! :D :D :D
    Thanks for being a good sport Caz.

8. twigglet

twigglet Member

I can vouch for blondie's story. This was also after Big Twigge had thrown some choice expetives at me because I ordered myself a single not double vodka! tut tut we are supposed to respect our elders!
    :wink:

9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

HAHA bec i remember that one too :D
    it was tameside youth contest, when they won the best percussion prize, and dropped the glass tropy as they were coming off stage.. .never wet myself since i was about 9 months old

10. jfenwick

jfenwick Member

ours had to be when we were rehearsing yellow submarine. I was playing the side drum and the md wanted me to put a whistle in while playing so I said to him I couldn't blow and bang at the same time! so I asked our timpanist if she wanted to blow my whistle.

we had a borrowed percussionist in our section for Ripon and he was playing a duck quack and was blowing the wrong end so one of his mates said "yeah your wife said something about that"

11. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

This Ladies and Gents is the actual series of events that occured regarding the "Torquay cheese incident"....
    1. I ordered a cheeseburger.
    2. Adam ordered a normal burger and then took the first burger offered....this was mine I ordered first and I ordered a cheeseburger
    3. Therefore the jury should decide that Adam is and always will be a big cheeseburgular

Although the night is a little blurry in my mind (I remember buying everyone a round and then doing cheeky shots at the bar alone) I do remember this clearyish, the pushing Elin into a bush thing is a little less clear though......I can also vaguely remember telling certain members of the band things that I shouldn't have in the hotel bar afterwards.

well I had fun anyway

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Puss Puss
    banding
    bass players
    sort of thing
    nice thing
  13. Salli

Salli Member

I can't recall this at all Kari :?

As you know, Rog doesn't even drink

14. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

Well I'd just typed the reply to this and computer crashed - so here goes again!!!! Take yourself back approximately 6 years to when I lived in the little house in Wem. I can't recall the occasion of the party, it was either a house warming or for Steve's birthday. You were wearing a red dress on that evening and your contact too, Becky was wearing some very girlie dress that revolved around the colour blue and Roger was wearing some delightful coloured/patterned trousers. Oh and Roger was most definitely drinking too, Claret I believe (but when he got so ill and hurled up in my back yard, maybe that's when he decided to give up)? In the kitchen Roger got very suggestive with a large Frankfurter (I believe Bagpuss has these exact pictures, although I have photies of the evening too). It was that same evening that The Really Big Twigge demonstrated her ability with a pint glass and most people stayed over and it all got a little even more interesting!! Hope that I've suitably 'jogged' your memory and if you're still having trouble, maybe we should post the pictures. :wink:

15. Go to a Leyland concert then ask for Andy Lord
    Barrel of luaghs guaranteed

16. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

Bit of a long one this:

One of the funniest stories I've heard happened over 100 years ago. To celebarate the relief of Mafeking in the Boer War, two neighbouring villages, Sandbach and Elworth decided to hold a fair/carnival.
    Sandbach had a brass band to provide music and Elworth, home of Fodens Steam Engines had the largest steam traction engine in England. So the plan was that "Puffin' Billy" would be lead from the Elworth factory into Sandbach and after a short concert the band would lead the parade back to Elworth.
    However, as typical bandmen, as soon as the beer started flowing in Sandbach, before and during the concert, they soon got bevvied up and were too drunk to march back. So the proud people of Elworth marched back to their village behind the steam engine, in silence.
    2 years later the people of Elworth, with a little help from Edwin Foden, formed their own band, which is still going strong today.

Keppler: Duplicate Posts Deleted - Done!..

17. Trigger

Trigger Member

One of the funniest moments I ever had was when I was about eight years old. My whole family have always been brass banders and there was a big bbq at southsea castle with lots of beer (would we have it any other way?). I was stood in the castle grounds just by the entrance to the keep and sunddenly all the people started pouring out of the doors, practically fighting to get out. The bar staff were not far behind!! The next thing I noticed, my uncle walked out with a satisfied grin on his face. He had just broken wind in the keep and cleared the entire building. It must have been bad, because it is one of those stories that is still told today and by brass banders, who in my experience are particularly smelly, especially on contest days!!!