Funky band tunes!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by trombelle, Nov 10, 2003.

1. trombelle

trombelle Member

i was wondering what the funkiest piece is that anyone has played?

i would love to have a go at an arrangement of something by the red hot chili peppers or foo fighters! has anyone ever played something cool like that?

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

What was it that Fairey's did with James G. a few years ago... was it Acid Brass...? Apparantly it went down a storm. I never heard any of it but did hear and read that it was a great success.

3. trombelle

trombelle Member

lol thats just the sort of thing i'm after!
    now if anyone has any details where i can get scores/recordings of stuff like this it would be much appreciated! :)

4. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

well, I've played 'no matter what' by boyzone, and 'Stop right now' by the spice girls, great fun!

acid brass though is a little odd, it takes getting used to anyway!

5. Trom41821

Trom41821 Member

Funky Band Tunes

We play an arrangement of "Hanky Spanky" by Madonna

6. Suz

Suz Member

Our ten piece plays a lot of funky stuff thanks to a bunch of talented arrangers in the band. We have everything from the Spice Girls to Manic Street Preachers and Elvis to the Proclaimers in our pads!!

Be warned of playing anything too funky though, we played Tom Jones' Sex Bomb in Yeovil.

It quite literally "bombed"

8th out of 9 with a crit sheet that said "I don't quite get this" !!! :? :?

7. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

We've done loads of 'funky' pieces.

I quite liked Mambo No 5, but audiences got a bit bewildered when he played Tequila and the whole band shouts it out several times during the piece! :)

YMCA went down well though :)

8. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

Obviously not a Bass player!

Also, with very repetitive bass lines, are:

You Can Keep Your Hat On &
    The Ketchup Song

The younger audience members seem to enjoy them though.

Janet

9. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

If you want to hear something really funky, check out Listen to the Band this Friday (14th November). I think we (Leyland) should be on doing a piece called Unisons (among others) which is quite hard but very cool. Russel Gray conducting in case your interested.

10. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

a piece i think is really funky is 'arctic funk', by torstein agard nielson, don't think it's everyones cup of tea though.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    band tunes
    piece
    go
    anyone
    something
  12. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

Funky or cheesy, you decide...

Barbie Girl, played by (I think) Indian Queens band in Newquay once. I think it was a Frank Bernaerts arrangement.

The conductor looked about 75-80, and he announced it by reading the lyrics from the score...

"I'm a Barbie Girl, in a Barbie world... Life in Plastic, it's Fantastic.... What's that all about, then?"

13. Caveman Dan

Caveman Dan Member

You filthy swine, you beat me to it! Arctic funk is an excellent piece, would love to play it some day.

To name a couple I've played 'Angels' by Robbie Williams and 'Everything I Do' by Bryan Adams - not the usual brass band stuff! I think someone should arrange 'Firestarter' by Prodigy for brass band - we could appeal to a whole new audience?!

Oh yeah, and I've also played the theme from Titanic, which went down really well...

14. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

hi dan!

nice pun too... :?

15. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Arctic Funk was quite Funky.....

A composer/arranger hitting it off big over here in OZ atm is Barrie Gott. A former Salvo, he does a lot of jazz/swing stuff. Mumbo jumbo is a tad repetitive, Swingtime Religion and Moses Get down were good pieces, with nice solos, and I love his arrangment of THe Lord's Prayers (the Peter Paul and Mary Version, not the hymn)

A piece Gladstone had been rehearsing was Pinball Wizard, which almost sounds quite authentic. I admit, I am a bugger of a conductor to work under with Pop and rock music. but it pays off!

16. Steve

Steve Active Member

I know we have Robbie Williams 'let me entertain' you in the library but i think it is an 'in house' arrangement. Thats really good with loads of squealing trumpet (yeah, its on cornet) and trombone parts,crazy drums and the bass line rocks!! Some of those summer dance tracks that appear in the charts every year been arranged for band. I know of Carnival de Janeiro, Mambo No.5 and most the **** released by the Spice Girls. I was gonna arrange a medly of The Kinks greatest hits, that would work nicely me thinks but i'm far far too lazy.

17. Caveman Dan

Caveman Dan Member

Aye, sorry about that!

18. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

'samba de janeiro' is a good one, lots of percussion for the band to play.

19. we recorded a piece called Unisons for Listen to the Band (out this friday 14th) but i cant remember who it was by... :? but it was well funky, and pretty difficult too

20. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Mikail Alperin I think you will find. he must have been an Eb bass player, (or hater!).

Igg

21. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I have played an arrangement of Waltz In Black by the Stranglers a few years ago.

And attempted to play a version of Jazz Delicious hot Discusting cold by the bonzo dog do dah band with a Group. Gave up in the end. I cant make that many notes up

Not your usual brass band fare

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    band tunes
    piece
    go
    anyone
    something