Fund Raising

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by yank67, Apr 1, 2008.

1. yank67

yank67 Member

It is now time to start raising funds for many bands to get to Harrogate. Many will have to raise well over £6000 to get there. ( Our Jerrsey friends even more ) What will your band be doing, any ideas?

2. yank67

yank67 Member

I take it by the lack of replies to this post that we must be the only band that has to do extra fund raising for this trip. I must be in the wrong band. :oops:

3. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

nah, just no one wants to share their ideas in case we pinch 'em and raise more money! ;)

4. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Loads of ideas flooding in now but one of our band just suggested a naked band calendar. :eek:

5. David Mann

David Mann Member

About £200 each and 20 weeks to go, so each member needs to save / raise the price of a maccy D and 2 pints of beer per week (assuming 30 people going). I think that fund raising should be mainly for equipment / music rather than travel and accommodation to do our hobby.

!!!!!!! Sarcasm Alert!!!!!!

BTW, I plan to go fishing and cycling in France in July, is there a band that would be willing to do a benefit concert for me?

6. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

If you were in our band we'd be happy to make you pay your own way. It's a team spirit thing. We will pay for ourselves if we have to but there are some members that travel quite a distance to band and it already costs them a lot for the hobby. So, this particular band is going to try and minimise the costs for it's members.

Fishing and Cycling, how boring is that.

7. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Well said Mr. Band Manager :clap:

8. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

To raise money for us to go last year, I sold all the duplicate music from the library. There were some pieces that we had 3 or 4 sets of that were just collecting dust.

9. yank67

yank67 Member

Could we get the Boobs for Brass band to do our calendar, I think it would sell better then our band. (me in a thong:eek: )

10. yank67

yank67 Member

Thanks for all the PMs that have been sent to me. They are all great ideas! :clap:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Jerrsey
    Harrogate
    bands
    raising funds
    Fund Raising
  12. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

How about I do a sponsored play ? The more money I get the quicker I'll stop !!:)

13. Al

Al Member

A good idea, but thinking about the copyright threads on the forum, and wondered if this is strictly legal.

I think duplicates come from when bands merge and all those gems in the band library get sorted out. How else would we have rediscovered William Rimmer's "The Dawn of Spring" :)

14. brownrob

brownrob Member

We do the usual

Run off a set of quiz sheets £1 a go, try to unscramble musical instrument words, enter into a hat, 1st prize correct answer wins £20 etc

Or run a variety concert and have a raffle at the interval, get local businesses to provide small gifts towards said raffle

If you have access to outdoors, then run a barbeque night, have the band play for the evening, maybe get some meat from a butchers if you agree to give them free advertising at the event if you convice them you have enough pulling power!

Basically, just look around the band, see what they can offer to raise money. A family in the band worked at an outdoor centre, who had access to a cruiser. the cruiser seated 50. We were able to get a heavily discounted rate on the cruiser and provided dinner for the guests while we sailed up and down the lough. Company made plenty from bar sales! :lol: but tickets were £20 so we made almost £1000 from that venture alone.

Use what you have at your disposal, and be imaginitave

15. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

When Lympstone qualified for Harrogate in 2006, one of the band cycled from Harrogate to Lympstone (there is a thread on here about it somewhere - it was called Pedal for Pounds or something) ands during the Saturday the band held a fete style fun day in which the culmination was the return of said cyclist. With the fun day and sponsor money it made quite a lot of money.

I wouldn't fancy cycling that far though - don't know how far it would be from your band room to Harrogate though.

16. BryonySnell

BryonySnell Member

We got about £1500 in the end, not bad!

17. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

In the US, as long as the music was legitimately purchased, and there is no restriction on reselling at the time of purchase, reselling is permitted (in fact, that's really what any music or book distributor is doing - they're buying multiple copies from the publisher and then reselling them). If, however, you have multiple copies that were NOT legitimately purchased and you sell them, you have committed commercial copyright piracy and are liable for prosecution if caught.

UK copyright laws tend to be more strict that the US versions (e.g., no "fair use" exceptions), so I'd be careful with this one.

Also, this is a one-time fund-raiser - once you've sold off the duplicates, you're done.

18. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Wouldn't have there's anything wrong with selling legal copies? It's not like we're selling photocopies, I would have thought someone would have brought it up when I advertised the fact that I was selling them on here too!

19. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

If there is a problem with re-selling copyright material, there's hundreds of secondhand bookshops trading illegally :rolleyes:

20. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Judging by the demand for coloured felts on tmp, why not set up and sell???

21. We're raising money for Harrogate by doing a 10 mile sponsored walk - via the pub of course!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Jerrsey
    Harrogate
    bands
    raising funds
    Fund Raising