Fun warm up ideas and music games for kids!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by meandmycornet, May 27, 2008.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Hi everyone!

South Molton Juniors are having an all day rehearsal workshop in preperation for their trip to Bideford Solo and Quartet Contest and we need some ideas!

I'd like some fun warm up games that I could use with the kids and any other music games we could use that would help them with their preperation and rehearsals!

Please help!

Thanking you muchly in advance!

Fi
    xxxx

P.S: We already have a weekly longest note competition which is slightly on the boring side now.... at least for us adults anyway!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Fun
    South Molton Juniors
    Bideford Solo
    Quartet Contest
    preperation
  3. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Lesley Howie taught us this on NYBB. Play 8 C quavers, then go up (in quavers) to a G then back down. Immediately go up the whole scale and then back down. Then, do an arpeggio going down from the upper C, 3 times. Warms up tonguing, production, scales, counting and arpeggios. oh, and your mind. You could have a little competition to see who can get through the most scales

4. Very exciting Mb. Parties at your house must be a rip-roaring affair with games like the above on offer! Cor-Blimey!

5. Di B

Di B Member

Get them to play a hymn tune then get them to try and play/read it backwards! Keeps them thinking and its actually fun. Trying to play the hymn tune in a different key is a bigger challenge if needed. For the contest maybe you could get them to adjudicate each other. Ask them what they thought was good about the performance. The soloist gets encouragement and the others get to learn about listening to music.

6. MrEllis

MrEllis New Member

Hi - use copy games, start it basic teacher plays then pupils copy. Once they get used to that use one of them as the teacher. This can be used on the mouthpiece or instrument.

or

long note comp either teacher selects note or own choice - have a prize! I have the prize of bashing the tam tam !!

hope these help

Andy

7. Masterblaster jnr

Carlsberg don't do musical house parties, but if they did................... ;).

any more suggestions mrs clock???

8. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Give them all balloons, get them to put them on their mouthpieces and have a little
    competition to see who can blow theirs up the biggest, buzzing with one breath.

And just to be mean, give the basses the long thin balloons as they're harder to
    get started !

Andy

9. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Red hymn book, pick a number at random - up a semitone, down a semitone, then a tone....

When they're good at that, swap Eb and Bb parts.... (and give bass trom. the sop part.. :eek:)

10. silkenrose

silkenrose New Member

This is difficult but a great one for sight singing or singing in tune.

The task is to sing or play God Save the Queen, in two bar phrases, but to start each phrase on the note that the previous phrase finishes on.

11. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Things I do with my group

The Quaver Snake (good for low levels)

Aim: continuous quavers passed from player to player

Every one stands up. One person plays four quavers and the next person continues. If they falter or mess up the rhythm, they sit down. Last person standing wins! Proved popular with my band (age 7 to 15, 1 to 3 years playing)

Imitation: Someone plays something and the next person copies and the next person copies the second person and so on...so if someone splits, then the person copying them has to split their note too! They find it amusing!

Competition between areas of the band is good too. Who can play loudest/quietest/shortest/nicest etc

Teach them non conventional sounds they can make on their instrument

The horse:valves pressed half way, start high and shake the instrument while going lower (hope thats clear!)
    Motorbike: half valve again, flutter tongue and glissando up and down, sounds like a motorbike...

Thats about it for now. If I think of anymore I'll let you know!:biggrin:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Fun
    South Molton Juniors
    Bideford Solo
    Quartet Contest
    preperation
  13. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Here's something that works very well for ensemble situations and improves listening and playing together.

1. Get all of the players to stand in a cirle.
    2. Next get them to turn and face outwards.
    3. Everyone needs to then close their eyes (or perhaps blindfolds!!?!)
    4. The conductor will then nominate someone to be the leader.
    5. The leader plays a simple C scale 1 octave up and down (G for Eb inst)
    6. The rest of the group must follow and play in exactly the same way as the leader.
    7. Pick a new leader and play the scale again.

This can be lots of fun, waiting in anticipation for the leader to start (very good for getting silence!!), listening really hard to play the scale in the same way (it could be fast/slow, loud/soft etc). The bonus as I said before is it really makes the players listen and also get used to playing as an ensemble without a conductor.

14. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I thought you were torturing Americans? Sorry, I mean teaching our little colonial cousins?

15. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Another thing you could do is to select one of the players to be a conductor. The 'conductor' then waves their arms around and the band have to make up the kind of music they think is being conducted. (Circles are good, big and small gestures, pointing at specific instruments, flicking anything really).

You can also turn this around and ask the 'conductor' to conduct a certain type of music (loud, fast, soft, rain, sun etc) without telling the band. The band then have to guess what they have been playing.

These work well as it doesn't make any difference what standard the band or individual players are, everyone can join in making things up.

16. BrianT

BrianT Member

In Wantage Trainer Band we do musical games each week:
    1) Copy. Ask the drummer for a 4/4 rock beat, and then conductor plays a two bar phrase. Band listens and plays it back. Then ask for volunteers from band - tell them you'd like them to listen to what the band play back and be prepared to repeat their phrase until the band can do it properly. This is to avoid people just waggling their valves when they make their phrase up. If the band is made up from similar players of a similar standard, this ensures the requested phrase is realistic. Suggest ways of coming up with phrases - by gradually extending the interval, or syncopate, or playing just one note, accurately placed.
    2) Give the basses a repeated two-bar bassline along with the rock beat, and riff on that.
    3) Play a tune by ear (you usually have an excuse to play Happy Birthday)
    4) Short solos. Rock beat again - get band to play a two bar phrase of repeated quavers - 1&2&3&4& 1&2&3 and get one person to fill in the "&4&" at the end of the second bar with a made up phrase.
    5) Rounds - good ones like "boots of shining leather", "there once was a man from Calcutta" or "hey ho nobody home".

17. Ooooh..erm...What about, "Brass band testpiece name that tune"?

I'll name that tune in...3... are you old enough to remember that Jonny?
    ;)

18. Masterblaster jnr

No, but probably listened to so mant test pieces i'd know them. (Is there a big purple neon sign flashing above my username saying <<:sup GEEK!!!!!:sup >>)

19. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Hi Fi!

You back in the country then! You need to grace Lympstone with your presense for some concerts soon!! Hope you had a great time away - I have just got back from Germany - we also managed a decent result in Weston of which I am sure you know.

Bit tired to think of anything for you right now but will think about it tomorrow and let you know if I can think of anything. When is the day itself?

20. CLAIRE SPONG

CLAIRE SPONG Member

One we have done with our juniors is to get them all knelt on the floor in a circle with hands flat on the floor in front of them, then everyone in turn slaps each hand on the floor in turn so you go round the circle, once they get used to that then introduce that if someone slaps twice you have to go back the other way, then to make it harder get evryone to cross hand with the people next to them and try to go round in the order the hands are in, it is suprisingly difficult but causes a lot of laughter!

21. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Well hello miss Loftus! been hearing all about your exploits! ;)

Anyway!
    This probably isn't a warm up excercise but i find it's a good time filler!

The orginal game (which also makes an interesting drinking game) consists of:
    Everyone stands in a circle- the idea of the game is to count to 20,
    The teacher says 'one'
    anybody is allowed to speak, calling out the numbers in the sequence one at a time, 2,3,4 etc,
    However if two people speak at the same time you have to start again. therefore you need to listen carefully and judge when you think it is safe to call out the next number?
    Does any of that make sense!

our music group were pants at it, so we then introduced the same principle with our instruments- one person plays a note, anybody can follow, however the chain is broken if two people play at once etc.....
    again improves listening and kept us entertained for a while!

22. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Our workshop day is on Saturday 7th June :D and we are very lucky to be having Viv Willcocks as a guest tutor! He's doing SWBBA's train the trainer workshop in November (I think!) and using the juniors as guinea pigs so it'll be good for them to get to know him as much as anything else!

Very cool though, the kids are really excited about rehearsing ALL day! The parents are all excited about having a nice quiet house aswell!

I will try to get to Lympstone at some point soon, but its kind of a long way on the train!

Thank you for all the ideas folks, will definately be giving some of the easier sounding ones a shot..... suppose I should have mentioned that the kids are aged 8 to 14 and vary in ability from grade 1 to about grade 3/4! My favourite idea has to be the balloons on the end of mouthpieces one! They'll love that one..... and i'll love watching them try!

Oh and Kelly.... I love that your game is actually a drinking game! What a suprise! :tongue: