Fun and Games with a Bone

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jack E, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I've just started working on three pieces for an upcoming junior band bash, and one piece - 'The Grasscroft Ghoul' - has a G# in it, giving it an almost minor key feel. G# . . . hmm . . . 5th position . . .

So I dug out my cheapie electronic keyboard which I got when I started playing baritone, and marked up the keys with a marker pen to allow for transposition to Bb. That way, if I had an awkward phrase to learn, I could pick it out on the keyboard first, and hear what it was supposed to sound like.

Tried playing the G# - and it seemed way off. ??? Tried playing the whole three bars - A F D A G# - and it sounded reasonably together . . . but as though it was in a different key . . . hang on a minute . . .

Sat down with the keyboard, pencil and paper, and started checking . . . sure enough, the keys were marked, but transposed into Eb, not Bb! I'd forgotten that, when I switched to playing tenor horn last year, I'd re-marked the keys accordingly.

I think the phrase is "DOH!" :rolleyes:

But I know know what the G# should sound like!

2. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

Having the wrong markings on the keys is one of those classic mistakes that ‘everyone’ has made at some point or some way - the datum’s in the wrong place. It’s really good that you spotted the issue though and worked out what was going on.

Using a keyboard is a good idea, though not one I use much, and marking up the keys would normally make things much easier for me. I do use / have used a tuner though and compare what it says against what the note is supposed to be as I play through a tune. Some tuners can be set in Bb and Eb but mine is in C (concert pitch) and I have a paper chart to remind me what the note is in Bb - just a whole tone out. Use your ears too, of course, but the tuner can be a great guide and, unlike our ears, accepts nothing but the truth.

Valves are wonderful things but I often think that many players would benefit from playing a Trombone first. The instrument forces you to listen, adjust and work with it rather than poping a valve down and job done, or done as well as it’s going to be.

Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Jack E likes this.
  3. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I don't use it very often myself - that it was still marked up to transpose for Eb tells me I haven't used it for over a year! - but there are odd occasions when it's very helpful.
    That's exactly what my MD said when I switched to trombone! And he pointed out that even if I go back to playing baritone later on, that enforced focus on listening for intonation will stand me in good stead.
    Thank you, 2nd Tenor, and best regards,

Jack

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice