Full Rehearsals

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Oct 27, 2004.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

How often do you get a full (and I mean completely full, no one missing not even 3rd percussion) in the run up to a contest?

We always seem to have someone missing, usually with a very good reason (work/family, etc) but it is still very frustrating that we never seem to get more than 1 or 2 completely full rehearsals.

We are a reasonable 1st Section band (perhaps we will find out how reasonable on saturday!) and I am sure bands at the top level get very good commitment but what about the rest of you?
  2. jpbray

jpbray Member

We usually get well attended rehearsals, but as you say there always seems to be the odd one or two missing. However it is usually for a good reason and not an excuse. Then you can't say to much, because for the same good reasons it may be yourself missing at sometime.

Best you can hope for is most of the people most of the time.
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

In the National Capital Band we rarely have 100% attendance at any rehearsal - but we also rarely have the same person miss two weeks in a row (we only rehearse once a week). Attendance has been much better this year than during the past couple of years (we have had some leadership issues - four different conductors in the last two years).

Almost all of the absences are for good reason, mostly work, school, or illness-related.
  4. jpbray

jpbray Member

We are in the voluntary/hobby sector, and I have learnt from past experience from my time as a scout leader you can not demand. Every thing has got to be earned. You have to impress on people to turn up, rehearsals need structure so people do not think they are wasting their time, also you need the culture of not letting the band down. In addition I think the band must feel that it is improving all the time, this way regular absentees will turn up to band one night and find the band has moved on and they have been left standing. Hoping this should help make up their mind where they want to be.
  5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

You also need enough performance opportunities. One of the reasons why we've had an upturn in attendance is that we have a full, confirmed schedule for the entire season (through June 2005). Rehearsing just to rehearse is fun, but not compelling enough to get everyone there all the time.
  6. BurgerBoy

BurgerBoy Member

Traditionally, our one and only full rehearsal is the day of the contest. Not ideal, but those who miss usually miss for good reasons (work, illness etc......)
  7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Seems to be a standard comment through this thread that most bands generally have some players missing some of the time and all for valid reasons.

How often however does your conductor miss a rehearsal? I suspect most bands conductors are always there. We often have some players missing and they all have valid reasons but the conductor always seems to get there. Is this purely statistical sampling or just that perhaps they ensure that they never have anything else in the way of their attendance at the rehearsal.
  8. jpbray

jpbray Member

I would assume that in most bands the conductor usually gets paid for being there, nevertheless we have a good working relationship in our band and if our conductor can't make it for whatever reason we usually know in good to arrange a dep.
  9. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Its all about commitment levels, and in most bands (primarily those of us in the lower sections) you'll find those that are fully committed and make sure they are always there and those that see it as an occasional hobby or something which has to fit in around other things. Thats life unfortunatley, however those that aren't so comitted have to respect that no matter how good they may be if they don't turn up evey week they may well loose their seat to someone who does, so long as this is understood then it's usually not a problem and an ambitous band generally ends up with fully comitted players.
  10. NAS

NAS Member

Hey Steve.

Yeah we're struggling this week. My only full rehearsal is on the Friday and we also play on the Saturday. Its the first time its really happened with my lot so Im giving them the benefit of the doubt that its only going to happen just this once :). See you at Pontins!
  11. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I've done contasts with my band that the only time we have a full band there before we get onstage for the contast is in the warm-up room!

Makes things a little tricky but we get there in the end.

Its been much better recently as we have had quite a few full rehersals this year even after contests!
  12. jpbray

jpbray Member

I think this is a valid point
  13. stevetrom

Missing so far this week:-

Monday: 1 Solo Cornet holiday, 1 Lives away, Flugel holiday, Soprano working IN CHINA, Solo Euph working, Solo Trom and Eb Bass are deps and at thier own band, 2/3 percussion

Tuesday: 1 Solo Cornet holiday, 1 Lives away, Flugel holiday, Soprano working IN CHINA, Solo Euph working, Solo Horn no baby sitter, 2nd Horn working, 2/3 percussion

No practice tonight but we hope to have everyone on Thursday
  14. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

sample of last 6 weeks rehearsals

week 1 - 27/30
    week 2 - 28/30
    week 3 - 29/30
    week 4 - 24/30
    week 5 - 30/30
    week 6 - 24/30

weeks 4 and 6 were a monday after a heavy weelend but other than that we must be doing something right!!!
  15. stevetrom

But which band Marlow or Chalgrove ?
  16. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

It can be really difficult at the best of times to get a full band. Couple of weeks ago we had a rehearsal with 10 players - 5 cornets (one each of sop, solo, rep, 2nd and 3rd) 2 euphs, and 3 trombones! These rehearsals do have their uses though, especially when you are trying to 'break the back' of a test piece, but not in the run up to a contest!

We have a contest on Saturday, and last nights rehearsal was missing horn and baritone sections, and we only had one bass!

Again to be fair, illness, work and uni commitments cant be helped, all of our bandspeople have legitimate reasons for not attending rehearsals.
  17. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

As a conductor of a fast improving 3rd section band i know that full rehearsals will not happen all the time.As long as players are honest and let you know in advance its not a problem.My group now, are very good on both accounts.
  18. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

The statistics relate to Marlow Band, acheived by much hard work andwhere players and MD having the same goals and vision.

Chalgrove band will get there with a similar approach I hope!!!

Come along for a blow any time you like Steve

19. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

We have been instilling into our band the need to communicate in advance if they are not going to get to rehearsals. This has a two fold effect a) rehearsal can be planned around those coming and b) players think twice about whether they're going to say they are not coming.

We have been doing this for months and it's taken time to get through to the players why they need to tell us but we are now seeing the benefit. Last night we had 33 at rehearsal, 3 on holiday and one player that didn't let us know.
  20. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

The need to create a place where people don't want to miss is most important factor in getting full rehearsals.

Communicating each week is good unless of course its to say your not coming again!!!!!!!!!!!!