Fulham Brass band in concert

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Paul McLaughlin, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Fulham Brass Band are performing for St George's Day (spat their Scottish MD) on - not surprisingly - the 23rd of Aprilat Polka Theatre in Wimbledon. Tickets are £5.50 and £3 concessions and are available through band members or direct from Polka Theatre Box Office on 020 8543 4888. Be great to see some tMPers there.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Fulham Brass Band
    Fulham Brass
    St George's Day
    Polka Theatre Box Office
    Aprilat Polka Theatre
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Yep, it would be excellent to see some tMPers at the concert.

4. Will the Sec

A discount of one whole english pound is available to tMP members!

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

A surchage of five whole pounds applies if you wish to leave the theatre at the end of the evening...... ;-)

Seriously, though: Do come along if you're in the vicinity. A tMP review would be quite nice!

Bring a Womble!;-)

Regards

6. Will the Sec

In order to claim your tMPer discount of one whole english pound, please find the sign in a corner of the reception area during the interval, where your whole english pound will be given to you. You'll need to pay the full or concessionary price on the door.

Not sure how we confirm you're a member, mind. 'Snot like you necessarily will look like your avatar!

Be lovely to see lots of tMPers at the gig - and not just 'cos this will help us get to Harrogate.

See you Friday?

Hope so!

7. Will the Sec

Well, fellow tMPers, as the first band to offer a discount of one whole English Pound to tMPers attending Fulham's concert tomorrow night, I hope you'll be attending in droves :!:

(Even if I am having to fund the discount of one whole English pound out of my own pocket :!: )

See...

Our Scottish Conductor smile through his teeth as he conducts English Patriotic Music :!:
    A Bb Bass player playing a solo :!:
    The World Premiere of the Fulham Bricklayers' March! (Written by me and available in a well known music publisher's emporium at some point in the future :!: )
    A raffle :!:
    Dave Payn play your favourite tune on demand :!: (For a fee, of course :!: )
    And more :!:

8. dyl

dyl Active Member

9. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

'Fraid the YWDB mob are all frantically rehearsing!

10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

What on earth makes you think everybody's favourite tune is 'On demand'?? Don't know that one myself! ;-)

This all stemmed from our appearance at the London Beer Festival at Olympia last year. Some 'Newark' (anagram) from the crowd said he'd pay £20 if we could play The Wombles theme. In the end, I piped up; we only got a tenner in the end! Says something about my playing, obviously.......

More than willing to play 4'33' for a fee, of course.....

;-)

DP

11. Will the Sec

Did you know Abigail used to play for us? We still miss her :cry:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Fulham Brass Band
    Fulham Brass
    St George's Day
    Polka Theatre Box Office
    Aprilat Polka Theatre
  13. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

Fulham Concert St Georges Day

[Dave,Will,Paul THANKYOU and everyone for an enjoyable evening at the Polka Theatre. I spoke to several punters before ,during,and after the concert.They all enjoyed it too. Particularly the solid sound of the full Band. Solos were problematical with the notable exception of Danny O'Brien on B flat Bass.What a send-off for him!
    The Polka Theatre is not far from South Wimbledon. I am sure the Sop , however, could be clearly heard in Southampton[ throughout the performance.Was this a problem of the stage in the Theatre? If so it is one to be overcome for all Bands performing in a Theatre. Obliterato?.....
    If you travel well you'll do Southern Counties proud
    because several of your players would obviously grace Bands in higher divisions. So go for it!
    Sorry about the audience numbers. The concert was well publicised in these,and like pages.But what happened to more local efforts? Wimbledon Library is close by and gets an average of 1500 visitors per day.I am sure they would promote the Concert. They promote virtually everything else that goes on locally.
    Once again THANKS for the entertainment.

14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Re: Fulham Concert St Georges Day

Thank you for your kind and honest opinions. Hope you got your discount! ;-) There certainly was (no deliberate attempt at making excuses) an acoustical issue which made Paul M warn us NOT to overcook it at the rehearsal the night before. I suspect it reacts to more shrill sounds less favourably. Certainly, I was sat directly in front of our sop and didn't perceive a problem, he's not known for his piercing tone quality, usually very laid back. Nevertheless, lessons to be learned for all concerned and constructive feedback like this is so useful, particularly to help us improve (which, of course, we wish to do). Thank you SR once again. Glad you enjoyed it.

Kind regards

15. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

Fulham Band concert 23/04/04

Dave,The theatre stage performance by musicians is, asyou know,fraught with difficulties.One way I have seen it tackled is by the upward bell instruments being placed forward on the stage so that they don't play up behind the proscenium arch or into curtains thus giving more chance of a balanced sound.I have even seen a Band start a concert,on a stage like the Polka's,by playing a hymn while the MD stood up in the auditorium to listen that all was well and balanced
    It was not my intention to offend.So I would be pleased if you would let Mr Dawson know that I acknowledge he is a technically good player and that it is in his power to vastly enhance the Band's performance at Harrogate.Players of his attainment are rare in the Fourth Section least of all on Sop.
    For what it's worth I expect you to do well and that Fulham will soon be promoted through the Divisions.

16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Re: Fulham Band concert 23/04/04

Spanky, no offence taken! As I said, very grateful to receive an honest appraisal of our concert. It's something to help guide us to better performances (hopefully!) in the future. ;-)