Fuel Prices

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Lauradoll, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

2 things really......

1) What's the price of petrol at your local garage? Is it getting more expensive by the day?

2) Do you think we'll have another fuel crisis (got my fingers crossed as I've got a 65 mile round trip each day to work and no-one lives near me :D )

Does anyone else think the price of petrol is getting ridiculous???

(God I feel old ranting about such a boc ish topic, it's amazing what a day of writing reports does to you!!)

2. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

80.9p and yes its a disgrace. :)

3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Garstang - 84.9p
    Preston / Blackburn - 81.7p

Tax is the problem, not oil.

4. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

5. bonehead

bonehead New Member

I might be in a minority here, but the price of petrol doesn't bother me in the slightest. I pay tax, it so happens that some of it comes from petrol. If people don't like it they should buy a smaller car.

I'll be a lot more annoyed if the (so-called) People's Fuel Lobby start blocking things again! Arrest them for obstructing the highway and let me get to work/ my food get to the supermarket. :!:

6. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

It's not just about paying the tax, bonehead. How do you think the food you're buying gets to the supermarket? If the price of fuel goes up, then the hauliers have to charge more to deliver the food to the shops. The shops then charge more for the food. So as well as paying more tax on the fuel you used to get to the supermarket, you'll be paying extra to buy the food. Of course, the increase in shop prices means that there's more VAT to pay so the government get yet more back door money.
    I would much rather scrap fuel duty and pay more income tax. At least then it's related in someway to your ability to pay.

7. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

Looks like we better start stocking up in case there's another fuel crisis looming......... :evil:

8. bigcol

bigcol Member

Guess I picked the wrong time to buy a 3.0i, 20MPG car then :evil:

9. jonford

jonford Member

I have a small car, a Fiat punto. But petrol prices still bother me. Im a poor student and before prices went up it was costing me nearlly £20 a week to get to college, band and work. I know a lot of people probably spend a lot more than this! But it is a lot to me. :roll:

Anyway:
    Texaco Astley 83.2
    Texaco Orrel 85

10. bigcol

bigcol Member

Esso Chirton (nr. North Shields). 81.9

Filled up before it got any higher!!

So that £55 might do me 350 miles!! lol.

But I love my car :oops:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    garage
    price
    :D
    writing reports
    petrol
  12. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

$1.91 a gallon, San Felipe Exxon Gas Station, Houston Texas.

And that is considered outrageous...

13. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

well since I can't afford to own a car anymore (I think the insurance company consider me a bankrupcy risk...) it doesn't bother me particularly. Then again when I saw that some place in blackpool was over a pound a litre I was a tad shocked!

14. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I'm just so glad that my new job has a van and fuel card with it. I will have to do 100 miles a day and I dread to think how much it would cost me.
    The cheapest petrol in Fareham is 79.9 at Sainsburys

15. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Can't remember how much it is for me filling up with Deisel up here in Salford :shock:
    82.9??? 83.9??? 84.9??? Bit cheaper than the SW I think, although we make up for cheaper car insurance cos they reckon drivers are safer down there and have less accidents 8)

Whatever it is, when I'm in Salford I fill up at Sainsburys which has good prices and when I'm down south it's usually Safeway in Tavistock.

Going up and down the motorways regulary between uni and home though, I always avoid filling up in service stations unless I'm really despirate... very expensive.

So, fuel prices going up to 90p per litre eh? (or so I've heard....)
    mmm, just think how much the service stations will be charging then! :shock:

Costs me just over £40 to fill up already... Although I can get out about 500 miles in a tank, which is brill :D so I'm not too bothered about it.

:wink: :lol:

16. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

82.9p (aaarrrgghh!!), looks like it's getting more expensive by the second!
    If the Tories carry on fanning the flames, then yes.

The price is getting alarmingly high now - maybe people should actually start taking the alternatives more seriously. Unfortunately I can't take off my scientists hat when I'm talking about petrol, etc. We really need to start cutting down our reliance on fossil fuels before they run out (though I'm not sure pricing them up is the best solution). These price hikes are actually being caused by a rise in crude price so we have OPEC to thank, not the government, well of course this could be a reaction to the War in Iraq and the Israeli situation.

17. jambo

jambo Member

Smaller car....
    What is this a commie state now?! Why the hell should I have to buy a smaller car just because some pro equality leftys think we should all play nicey nicey and bomb around in electric parambulators?

Its called choice, and by hiking up the prices that choice is taken from you when you can no longer afford to choose.

Also, I use my car for work, its a deisel and I can easily clock up a thousand miles in a week. Even if I get 500 miles to a tank the cost of my travel puts the cost of me and my business up! Same as every industry! So mate, if you want your food in your supermarkets to be at an affordable price as well as the cost of running your small car, you best hope that the price of fuel comes down or we're all gonna trading in baskets of money like post war Germany and your salary will be worth a damn site less than it currently is! :x :evil:

18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Although I agree to some extent, as the general price goes up, then so does the amount the government receives in duty, vat etc, which I should say is a very strong argument for dropping the planned increase in duty due to come in shortly.

19. ScrapingtheBottom

Because we are destroying the Earth's environment.

Choice is a luxury that many people in the world cannot afford, maybe we should be thinking about the planet as a whole rather than ourselves.

This is exactly the problem, we have become reliant on oil to run our society - people seem very reluctant to take up the alternatives (such as LPG) and if we carry on the way we are we will end up in a crisis. Unfortunately the drive for oil reliance is actually led by the private citizen so we have no-one to blame but our selves and our tendency towards selfish neo-liberal doctrines.

20. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I recently had an email sent to me with an idea about fuel prices.
    I have already sent it on to a 'few' people. If you want to try to do something, then the email is below.

We are going to hit close to 89p a litre by the summer. Want petrol
    prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:
    This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.
    BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP at 77p -80p, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.
    But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!
    Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE
    Action:
    It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons (75p) Jet etc.
    i.e. boycott BP and Esso.
    TRY IT SEE WHAT HAPPENS!

21. ScrapingtheBottom

Sorry, that just won't work. It relies on the fact that Esso and BP get money purely from their forecourt sales, this is unfortunately not the case. Esso and BP are massive companies with many business interests, this action may get their attention, but it won't help the problem. Esso and BP are held to ransome just as much as us by OPEC - the OPEC countries don't care how much we pay for our petrol and they don't care who we buy it from (because we will always have to go through them in the end). Our societies are built around the use of oil and OPEC realises this - we are basically screwed until we can find alternative methods for keeping our society moving. It is interesting to note that BP are one of the heaviest investors in alternative fuel technology (along with shell, bit odd that they aren't in your post).

The only thing people can do to reduce petrol prices is to reduce demand - i.e. stop using the car as much - reduce your car journeys as much as possible and try and save fuel.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    garage
    price
    :D
    writing reports
    petrol