Fuel costs making you think about missing band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Chunky, Jun 27, 2008.

?

Will rising fuel costs make you miss band

1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. No

82 vote(s)
    67.8%
  1. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Listening to the news this morning oil has risen to a new high of $140 a barrel, with reports it could rise to $175 during the summer.

Obviously this will have the normal effect on fuel costs at the pumps.

Now, I play in a band that rehearse twice a week, and its approx 16 mile round trip. Not far I agree, I am lucky but we have some players who travel twice and more that distance.

I believe its also going to impact on bands that require deps. Maybe people will think twice about playing for a pint and an ice cream and require, understandably so, petrol money. If a band takes on lots of poorly paid jobs and requires deps on a regular basis will they survive?

So how long do you think, if at all some of you find that due to rising costs, your rehearsals are cut to one a week?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Fuel costs
    deps
    rising costs
    morning oil
    paid jobs
  3. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Cost of fuel won't make any difference to me rehearsal wise, I travel from Macclesfield to Buxton with my fellow bass player and I go and see my mum also on rehearsal night. The fuel cost is saved by having my tea at my mums!

I think a bigger impact is the band taking on jobs miles away.

4. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I move from a 48 mile trip each way to a 12 mile trip each way to band in 4 weeks, and I can't wait to see less of my car (its also a less of journey to my new job - woo!). My biggest single expense at the moment, after rent, is fuel.

We did a job in Norfolk last weekend, and it took nearly an entire tank of petrol to get there. At £40 to fill my tank up at the moment, it really isn't funny.

5. yank67

yank67 Member

The trip to practice is not the concern for me as I am lucky enough to live close to the band room. (closer the most) But the travel to some of the long distance jobs is going to be a killer this summer.

6. Trumpet Major

Trumpet Major Member

Travel to Band

I do a 140 mile round trip to my band once a week but currently twice a week due to concerts etc
    I have seen my journey escalate from £15.00 a week to nearly £25.00 so at £50 a week with concerts its getting to be a concern.
    But, its my hobby, its important to me and i'll continue to do it as long as I can

Lou

7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Think the biggest effects might be on bands taking on jobs nearer home or charging more for jobs which are further away. KSB have a job in Nottingham (council job so reasonably well paid) but I can see it wont be long before players ask for expenses to get to these kind of jobs (60 mile round trip I think) - obviously we'll also suggest that as many players as possible share the transport.

Although having just looked at my own petrol expenditure this month it is something that's going to have to be considered. Not sure as I'm going to be too happy travelling to one band rehearsal thats 30 miles away if there isn't a full turn out when I get there (especially if those that arent there live nearer)

8. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Nothing would ever make me miss band. If the cost goes up and I'm struggling then other things will have to go, like Sky TV!

9. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

£40 to fill your tank, at current prices to fill my tank is a fraction under £70!!!

Like Ipswichtrom, band is important to me, however I do believe that for others it will become more of an issue and more people will start having to miss rehearsals.

10. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I do have a tiny car compared to some - 1.4 3 door fiesta - which is quite funny squashing me, the 6ft 4 rugby playing bloke, an Eb bass, horn plus uniforms etc into! :)

11. andyp

andyp Active Member

No, but if I'm late I'm much less likely to "put my foot down" in an attempt to get there on time!

Have noticed on my drive to work everyone going a lot slower these days, 50-60 on dual carriageway rather than 70, not a coincidence!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Fuel costs
    deps
    rising costs
    morning oil
    paid jobs
  13. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

That's what I'm doing. Squeezing an extra 8 - 10 miles per gallon out of it! Strangely, journey times don't take that much longer!

14. UncleStreaky

UncleStreaky Member

90 mile round trip for me twice a week plus jobs further afield... Plus cost of baby sitters at least once a week... Very glad to be able to car share for part of the journey cos it really helps with the cost.

Even so, current situation means it is very difficult to justify the trip on cost alone, so I'm very glad to see well attended rehearsals and a progressive attitude when I get there. Makes it all worth while - thanks guys!

Hey there's an idea, Ipswich trom! Can you lay on a nice tea for the band before rehearsal? Would help offset the rising fuel costs? Would be very well appreciated I'm sure!;)

15. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

LOL! Anything specific you'd like or will a McD's takeaway do you?:p

16. UncleStreaky

UncleStreaky Member

Better be a varied spread (and a good one) if you're gonna please the whole band! :cool:

17. on_castors

on_castors Member

For years I have travelled distances of 30+ miles per round trip twice/3 times weekly, then add on Band jobs after that too, and to be honest I am pleased I am not doing that and am in semi-retirement (again!).

The point I have often made in the past, (but is much MORE relevant now) is not just over rehearsals, but doing jobs which mean almost everyone is travelling: Perhaps say a dozen cars coming from various directions, each doing 15 to 50 or more mile round trips, then the band gets a fee of something trivial like 150 quid - petrol aside, the total running costs of even a small car must be in excess of 40/45p a mile with everything being taken into account, and effectively we all end up paying a premium to do a miserable rain soaked or windblown job (many of which are not exactly prestige events either), & the Band earns less than the cost of travel for the players!

Madness, and an environmental disaster too - I would sooner everyone stick a tenner or so into Band funds and instead do a local easy-going Community job or concert for free, & make it something which we might enjoy more!

18. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Luckily moved much closer to the band 18 months ago, so just need to travel to the next village now (still don't know why they named it after a fish!). However, have a far longer way to travel to work now so travel by train!

The band are playing in Stroud on Sunday afternoon and that'll be an 80 mile round trip, so may request we play closer to home for summer jobs next year if petrol is still at these rates (or more :-( )

19. NeilW

NeilW Member

I think car-sharing will become more common (which is a good thing!)

3 of us currently share the 20 mile trip to band and its possible we'll get a 4th sooner or later (when the cost starts to get to him too!).

I agree that motorways do seem to be travelling a little slower (other than the lorries, on whom it would have the biggest effect!)

Likewise jobs where I wouldn't have to go in to the office every day look more and more attractive (what's public transport if you don't live in a town?)

At least 2 economical cars (50+mpg) helps...

Neil.

20. on_castors

on_castors Member

Fine if everyone is coming from the same direction(s)

Not one of the last 3 bands I have played for would this have been any use at all for me!

21. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

I am lucky not to be driving but if I have any money on me I usually offer something towards the cost of fuel to whoever is playing taxi driver that day (especially to far-reaching jobs).

22. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

and that's another thing, at our band we have people coming from;

Lincoln
    Newark
    Horncastle
    Sleaford
    Grantham
    North Lincs (Humberside)

so we can't really do the car sharing thing