Frustrated Euphonium Player!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by BenPhoenix, Apr 27, 2010.

1. BenPhoenix

BenPhoenix Member

Heyy

Having played for my band since I started at 5 years old (i'm now nearing 22), I want to contest but was told tonight that i'm the only one in the whole damn band who wants to contest. Eurgh.. I hate loyalty! Really stuck in two minds at the moment of what to do!!

So yeah, that's me. Hi!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Heyy
    Eurgh
    years old
    damn band
    Frustrated Euphonium Player
  3. DobX Dave

DobX Dave Member

I am afraid it's a no brainer ~ move on.

4. agentorange

agentorange Member

Couldn't agree more. I was in a similar position at your age, moving on to a contesting band was the best thing i ever did. No reason why you couldn't join a contesting band and stick with your old band too though.

5. barrytone

barrytone Member

Find a band that contests, from experience i know that sticking with a band from loyalty when it's not really what you want just leads to bitterness and apathy. Good luck in finding a band that suits you!

6. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I agree with the others. Loyalty is fine up to a point, but you need to remember that this is a hobby and we do it for enjoyment. If the hobby/band is not fulfilling your musical needs then it's time to move on my friend

7. Martin

Martin Member

To continue what seems to be a common theme, I was with a 4th section band whose members are absolutely wonderful people. The musical challenges, though, were somewhat limited. However, I never really paid much attention to this until I was asked to dep for what is now my present band (1st section) at a contest. Then it was like somebody re-lit a fire. The decision to make the move permanently wasn't an easy one, for the reasons of loyalty etc. However, the desire to play at a higher level was greater and so I went. I haven't looked back once! I have kept in close touch with my previous band socially and have helped out both playing and conducting when the need has arisen.

You have to do what is best for you. But it can be done in good grace and with no bad feelings. If these people have your best interests at heart, they will understand.

Good luck! :tup

8. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

I Notice that you were at Barnstaple Corps. Are you by any chance Related to Les and Peggy Pearce? one time officers there?

9. grjeuph

grjeuph New Member

I agree, I play in a first section bandthat contests which is great, I also play in a village band with no contesting, the people are great and it is accepted that I might be absent in the run up to contests for extra rehearsals... Oh and I also play in a wind band with my wife and youngest daughter - so far there have been very few clashes of "gigs":)

10. Martin

Martin Member

Hi P_S_Price. No I am not related to them or even know them. I left Barnstaple in 1978 when i joined the RAF Police and (sadly) my attendance at the SA dwindled thereafter. I never returned to Barnstaple to live and upon leaving the RAF in 2004, I settled here in Aylesbury.

However, a quick call to my parents reveals that they were the corps officers around 2000 and my parents know them. If you are in contact with Les and Peggy, my mothers name is Pamela and my father is Gordon. They may remember them.

Regards

Martin :)

11. KenIrvin

KenIrvin Member

Follow your heart. If contesting is what you want to do go for it - if not you will for ever be wondering "what if". I'm sure your band will understand. Anyway better to upset them now rather than leave through boredom later

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Heyy
    Eurgh
    years old
    damn band
    Frustrated Euphonium Player
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It may even be that you might not have to move on, but could combine playing with your present band with joining a band that contests. As your present band has no intention of contesting then registration would not be an issue. it would just be a question of whether rehearsal nights and engagements clashed.

14. gingerdave

gingerdave Member

There were certainly no bad feelings in the band that i saw, it was more a case of good luck. You'd more than put in your time whilst i was there, and way before that too.

Anyway if you'd not moved on i probably wouldn't have moved to tenor horn (since there was the space), which i much prefer to cornet. So there's always a silver lining! It allowed for a bit of movement in the band, gave a reshuffle, moved the first horn on solo.

What with helping out with conducting when paul's not about aswell i don't think anyone could hold bad feelings!?

15. Supermouse

Supermouse New Member

They will be understanding. It absolutely can be done amicably. You need to do it.

16. Backrowmike

Backrowmike Member

Ben, as you know, Iv'e been there, done that and bought the T-shirt.
    I can sympathise with your dilemma. Do what feels right to you.

17. Frontman

Frontman Member

There is absolutely no reason why you cannot contest with another band, say Goodshaw for example, and still remain at Stacksteads. You have only got to look around your band, your conductor Jimmy, contests with Darwin Brass, Tommy on the back row contested with Goodshaw when I was conducting there. Just go for it, you are not showing any lack of loyalty because your still playing there.

18. Martin

Martin Member

Glad you are enjoying it on horn Dave! From what I heard in those 2 rehearsals I took you seem to be doing well with it. :)

19. wagger-g

wagger-g Member

There's some good and surprisingly sensitive advice above. We would be nowhere in banding without loyalty but sometimes a really difficult decision has to me made to move on. It's not easy and can sometimes be traumatic. I played for Blackburn and Darwen band in 1987 when we won the Grand Shield and the next week lost half the band to local 'names'. It's difficult to deal with sometimes on both sides but life goes on.

20. JonnySop

JonnySop New Member

At the end of the day, we play in brass bands to entertain and compete. I am very competetive and can feel your frustration.

As others have said there is nothing stopping you competing with another band. Failing that i'm sure your current band would understand the reasons for your departure. No need to fall out with them do it diplimatically.

21. BenPhoenix

BenPhoenix Member

:)

Thanks for all your advice. I have a big decision to make. As someone pointed out if I find a band that rehearses and a different night then I could do both and i'm thinking that's the way i'll probably go.

22. Gareth G Proctor

Gareth G Proctor New Member

Hi Ben,
    Ring me,
    Gareth - Sop.