Frosty the Snowman

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alanl58, Dec 2, 2007.

1. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Has anyone else stumbled when trying to make sense of "Frosty the Snowman" when played out and sung from "Christmas Praise"?

Ok so you play to the first time bar and repeat, then play the second time bar, but it says DC for verse 2, is that after you have played to the del segna, and repeated a second time? or is it second time through?

I am confused! Help!

Is there a simpler arrangement?

2. Past it

Past it New Member

Were you listening to us play carols at Steam Museum in Swindon today (Brunel Brass)?

If so we tried to sight read the aforementioned, having spied it in the book as something "a bit different" to the usual run of the mill stuff. We had a large crowd at the time and our confidence was high after winning at Wessex yesterday.

Slightly concerned (as we have a lot of younger players in the band) we quickly looked through the piece, remarked "what could go wrong" and set off confidently. All went well for a while but eventually it collapsed in a heap at the sign, or was that the 2nd repeat, or maybe the 2nd DC or maybe....

Well anyway it was a complete mess. We too would be interested in a simpler version.
  3. The Nutcracker

The Nutcracker New Member

I listened to the performance today at the steam museum. In my humble opinion the error seemed to stem from the soprano player. An unwritten pause was distinctly heard between the first repeat after the d.s. or was it the third repeat, I cant remember. Anyway I thought it was a brave attempt particularly after the rendition of 'When Santa got stuck up the chimmney'.......
  4. brianatb

brianatb Member

Have you tried the 12 days of christmas yet?
  5. Past it

Past it New Member

I think the Soprano player was trying bravely to cover the mess made by the rest of the cornets, just after the 3rd DS and before the 17th coda sign. Thank goodness we didnt try the 12th day of Christmas!
  6. The Nutcracker

The Nutcracker New Member

No got scared by the repeat as necessary bar - thought it was some sort of catch up bar for the rest of the band?? Any thoughts??
  7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

It's very straightforward compared to the "Sleigh Ride" arrangement; I defy anyone to make it past the 7th time bracket without getting lost, (unless of course they're sober, which doesn't count ... )
  8. David Mann

David Mann Member

I've rearranged this one with no repeats to avoid getting completely lost. Tried it with 2 bands and it has been ok so far. Just the choreography to learn in "Schneewaltzer" now!:biggrin:
  9. David Mann

David Mann Member

Here goes, according to the vocal score:

Bars 1-4
    Bars 5 - 12 (rpt sign)
    Bars 5 - 10, 13-14 (ie rpt and take 2nd time)
    Bars 15 - 22 (dbl bar to DS)
    Bars 5-10, 13- 14 (ie DS and take 3rd time)
    Bars 1-4
    Bars 5 - 12 (rpt sign)
    Bars 5 - 10, 13-14 (ie rpt and take 2nd time)
    Bars 15 - 22 (dbl bar to DS)
    Bars 5-10, 13 (take coda)
    Bars 23 -31 (coda)

Clear as mud!:-? Just what you need after 4 hours at Sainsbury's..

ps the words to the coda will help your artistic interpretion of this work::biggrin:

Thump-e-ty thump, thump, Thump-e-ty thump, thump, Look at Frosty go.
    (c) Carlin Music Corporation
  10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I think we tried Frosty last year once. It was a total disaster! Had to do a quick burst of Hark the Herald to win our "audience" back!

The 12 Days of Christmas should only be attempted with Sat-nav! We've done this at our last two Christmas Concerts and also we do a job every Sunday in December where its a required item, so you'd think we'd have it sorted by now, but you can guarantee someone (usually a bass player) will come in with a full blooded "five gold rings" a verse early. In the end we had to have idiot cards - at the concert we get the audience singing and hold up cards for them, but on the back is a big verse number for the benefit of the band. :rolleyes:
  11. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I think the last time one of my bands attempted that 12 days version, we managed to end up with a partridge in a pear tree putting 5 gold rings on 3 french hens whilst listening to 11 pipers piping accompanied by 12 drummers drumming, with dancing acts from the 10 leaping lords.
    Good job we don't take things too seriously.
  12. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

In preparation for the one time we play that we had a full 12 verse rehearsal on that last night.

Same solution for us - we give out separate part cards to members of the audience and get them to stand up for each of their selected verses - perhaps 5 Gold Rings should be given to the bass players - cos when we are standing you KNOW where you are;) .
  13. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Any of the longer oones are an absolute nightmare, especially to sight read!

Last year I dented my cornet during an over-ambitious rendition of Schneewaltzer........I was not amused!
  14. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

There's a solution, ladies and gents. We know they're complicated, some of the ones at the back - so rehearse them! We wouldn't dream of sightreading anything else that complicated in public. Why should a Christmas number be any different?

Another tip is to not make things more complicated than they need to be. In the past, we have done Frosty thusly: 1st time bar, 2nd time bar, DS then coda. Works every time and no-one has ever complained. Ok so you leave out the second verse, but how many of us are playing all six verses of 'Once in royal'?!
  15. mute-ation

mute-ation New Member

You are right there is no way that Christmas should be enjoyed or that Carol playing should be in any way fun or light hearted. This is especially true when taking into account the number of carolling jobs that people endure at this time of the year! :rolleyes:
  16. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

And just to make it more fun the conductor wants to do it 2 in a bar and the troms end up triple tonguing in one of the repeat bars!!;)
  17. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

:mad: If spending two mintues in a rehearsal sorting out something complex takes all the fun out of Christmas and carolling, then you're probably in the wrong hobby. I actually find it easier to enjoy myself when I know what I'm doing, rather than worrying about navigating through the music...
  18. David Mann

David Mann Member

When you consider that many peoples' impression of your band will be walking past you at Christmas, why reinforce their existing view of brass bands by playing poorly, unbalanced and with dodgy ad-lib parts? I enjoy carolling most when all 4 parts of the harmony can be heard and there's some degree of agreement on phrasing. It doesn't mean you can't have fun.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  19. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

I requested, politely, yesterday that we shouldn't play Frosty, having not looked at it at all. We didn't play it, but I was accused of taking it all too seriously and made to feel a complete fool. We're out again tomorrow, and I know what's going to happen.

I'm dreading it!:(
  20. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Stick to your guns. Threaten to leave if they insist on playing it and play it badly, and then do so if it comes to it.